Why become a member? ×

TRADED - Mods please close. Fender Roadworn P bass. P/J, with slimmer neck. TRADE ADDED
£770

Marc S

In my quest to reduce the number of basses I have, and to get my hands on my ultimate Jazz - I have very reluctantly decided to sell this fantastic Roadworn Precision. Friends will think I'm feeling unwell - it's a wrench - but needs must. As you can see, this bass has been converted to a P/J (done by pro luthier Dave Dearnaley of Cardiff). The bridge pickup is a superb Entwistle JBXN, and the neck pickup is from Mark Morgan-Richards - it's what he puts in his superb Limelight Precision basses, and it sounds fab. The electrics are also a kiogon loom - and was a cynch to fit, and as ever from kiogon, all components are of the highest quality

Also, this bass had the neck slightly slimmed down by previous owner DaveyboyRooster's luthier. If you prefer the chunkier P bass necks, then this is probably not for you. It feels much more like a Jazz, but ever so slightly wider. It's the most comfortable P bass neck I ever played, with lovely silky smooth finish, and the depth, radius and width are very comfortable for me. I tend not to like necks that are wide and deep.

I need to thin the herd, and a bass has come up that I really want. I really really want ;)
Also, I have a rather nice Limelight P/J and can't justify 2 P/J's - it's either this one or the Limelight, and I couldn't decide.... In the end, I opted to keep the Limelight, but there's not much in it, especially since I installed the Limelight pickup in this one. 

It's incredibly lightweight (around 3.6kg I think - I'll double check later) but it's the lightest 34" scale P bass I've ever picked up. Strung with Thomastik Flat wound strings, which are very low tension. I could put some rounds on it, if you prefer, but it's currently set up very well with low action and plays like a dream. Collection from near Cardiff - or I could meet up somewhere, and have a battery amp and headphones for testing. I'd prefer not to deliver, and want to make sure you're 100% happy anyway (why wouldn't you be? lol)
Comes with a well padded gigbag, or for the right offer, you can have a really nice roadworn Fender (G&G) hard case. No trades please - I'm thinning the herd)

RWP1.jpg

RWP3.jpg

RWP2.jpg

RWP4.jpg

IMG_20181127_193724148.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

This bass used to be mine. I had the neck slimmed down to that of a B Profile early 70’s P bass professionally done by Bob Barry a renowned Birmingham based luthier . It was a really slick job and you would never, ever notice. This bass played like butter and it was a wrench to let it go. If I hadn’t got too many basses already it would be back here with me now. Marc is a pleasure to deal with and this bass is an absolute steal at this price.

Thanks for that helpful info Daveyboy, and for your kind words too good sir :) Edit: I hadn't realised this was a B profile. It's nice, I must say. Not too skinny, not overly chunky - a great compromise, and as you say, the finish is so good - you'd never know it had been slimmed down

Edited by Marc S

I gigged this bass on Saturday night, and it sounded amazing. The drummer and singer/ guitarist had both said it sounded sweet...
I'm now considering whether or not I should really sell this beauty - I'm tempted to withdraw, as it sounds great and is so comfortable to play, and so lightweight...
Hmm, what to do?

Edited by Marc S

I reckon you'd regret swapping that for a jazz mate. It reminds me of Norman Watt-Roy's original rhythm stick converted 70s P bass. 

I can vouch for Dave Dearnaley's craftsmanship - he sets up all my basses and built one for me a few years ago! The guy's a genius imo. The guitars he builds from scratch are incredible!

• Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 08:44, Marc S said:

I gigged this bass on Saturday night, and it sounded amazing. The drummer and singer/ guitarist had both said it sounded sweet...
I'm now considering whether or not I should really sell this beauty - I'm tempted to withdraw, as it sounds great and is so comfortable to play, and so lightweight...
Hmm, what to do?

Keep it. It's a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I reckon you'd regret swapping that for a jazz mate. It reminds me of Norman Watt-Roy's original rhythm stick converted 70s P bass. 

I can vouch for Dave Dearnaley's craftsmanship - he sets up all my basses and built one for me a few years ago! The guy's a genius imo. The guitars he builds from scratch are incredible!

Funny enough - it was Norman's Rhythm Stick that made me get this converted. I always liked the look of it :)
I got myself a Limelight P/J, and if I hadn't got that, I'd be keeping this one. I really can't justify having both... GAS, damned GAS ;)

Re the Jazz - I had a Roadworn Jazz, and in a futile attempt to thin the herd, I traded the RW Jazz.... and I have regretted letting it go it ever since.
I suppose sometimes you really just don't appreciate what you have till it's gone, or you learn a lesson by going full circle?
The only other thought I have, is to sell the Limelight.... but I love that bass too

Re Dave Dearnaley - I've seen several of his custom built guitars, and they have all been absolutely amazing
Yes, his hand-built guitars are beautiful. Chequered binding, lovely pearl inlays, beautifully grained woods, top quality construction
Top craftsmanship, from a guy who really knows his stuff.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Yes, yes and yes to all of the above!

Limelight PJ + Roadworn Jazz - I totally get that now. 😉

Plus a Squier JV Precision, for when I just want a P bass..... and because I just fancy one anyway! ;)
Hence the thinning of the herd. All these years, and I've got 1 out of my GAS 3.... ha ha 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 08:48, Marc S said:

I suppose sometimes you really just don't appreciate what you have till it's gone....

They paved paradise...put up a parking lot!

Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi, one of the first songs I ever performed in public.

Lovely bass and GLWTS. I'm totally skint otherwise I'd be interested.......having said that you can get by on 1 kidney, can't you!

• Haha 1