Why become a member? ×

USA Custom Shop Stu Hamm Washburn, 7.5lb *SOLD*
£875

jay-syncro

Up for grabs is my USA Custom Shop Stu Hamm signature bass. This bass was featured in an issue of Guitarist magazine where it received the 'Guitarist choice' accolade. A copy of the magazine is included in the sale. 

This bass is built to perfection, has extremely versatile bespoke electronics (humbucker + jazz pickup + piezo with 2 band active EQ) and weighs just 7.5lbs (3.4kg)!

It uses top quality hardware (Hipshot USA Piezo Bridge and detuner on the E string), and features a lovely quarter sawn maple neck, lightweight Alder body and a beautiful Rosewood fretboard. It also comes with the plush Washburn Flightcase. 

I can meet somewhere mutually convenient if required or postage is an option. 

Here's a video of the man himself taking it for a spin -

IMG_20181127_200743.jpg

IMG_20181127_200912.jpg

IMG_20181127_200926.jpg

IMG_20181127_200829.jpg

IMG_20181127_200849.jpg

IMG_20181127_200804.jpg

IMG_20181128_114838.jpg

IMG_20181127_200948.jpg

IMG_20181127_200715.jpg

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Is the neck the same shape as the Urge 2 Fenders, do you know?

Can you check the weight? - the Bass Direct 'Sold' page for this bass shows a couple of different weights on it. Thanks

I've never personally played an Urge 2, but it's a bit wider than a typical Jazz neck and quite shallow front to back. It's a breeze to play fast runs on, as you'd expect considering who designed it. 

The weight is correct, 7.5lbs. I've had to lock it in the case to stop it floating away.. 

• Haha 2

On 29/11/2018 at 22:24, Bassman666 said:

Love the look of this, kept looking at it on bassdirects site. The black hardware really sets off the wood. I imagine the pickup configuration makes for a fantastic tone?! If only I could justify another bass... 

It does indeed, the photos don't really do it justice to be honest, it's a great looking bass. The pickup configuration is very versatile as you can imagine. The Musicman pickup soloed gives a real P/MM hybrid sound that works brilliantly for 90% of situations, adding the Jazz pickup tightens up the sound and makes it more punchy. The J pickup soloed is very fat sounding, dare I say 'Jaco-ish'. The Piezo adds a high end sheen when combined with the other pickups, and when soloed gives an almost upright bass quality. Then when you consider the two band EQ you're not short on tonal options! 😎

If Basschat has taught us anything, it's that we definitely need a new bass. At all times. 😉

Edited by jay-syncro

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

What's the depth of the neck at around 1st fret & 7th ?

This looks very nice and I love lightweight basses but I've had issues with super slim necks recently. Cheers.

Using the trusted method of holding a ruler against the neck and squinting, I make it 20mm deep at the 1st fret and 23mm at the 7th. It's 41mm wide which I find to be a great balance between P and J profiles 😎

It's just been set up with a set of Dunlop Marcus Miller signature strings and it sounds epic! 

Edited by jay-syncro

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ead said:

I've been trying to find some info online about the contraol layout.  Please could you expalin what the various knobs do as I cannot find a diagramme online.

Sure, it has three independent volume controls (neck pickup, bridge pickup, piezo) and stacked bass and treble controls. The great thing with the preamp is that you can increase/reduce the volume of each individual pickup and the overall volume stays consistent. This is really useful for getting the tone in your head *just* right. 

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Thanks 1