Why become a member? ×

Status Groove Bass

Marcoma

Erm best contact Status. I don't believe it is but as they're custom makers, they could probably make one for you specifically although at a price. Best check second-hand markets and put a Wanted ad out on BC here... You've a near miss with me as I have a Shark 2 active I'm thinking of moving on from the same era.

Edited by visog

They crop up used from time to time, I had a black one for a year or so and enjoyed it.

there are two versions, the early ones had a more “droopy” headstock which always looked odd to me, the later ones have a straighter one which allows better string travel.

the last ones made had a graphite neck (think there may only actually be one with a natural finish...)

@karlfer is selling a really nice retro-J which I think was the replacement for the groove as it still has the more traditional body shape.

• Like 1

I’d say between £300-£400 is good money for one of these, heading towards £500 is into USA MM Sub 5 territory and maybe even tatty 2eq money (but not 5 string MM).

I sold mine as it sounded “nearly” stingray ish, but not quite and that did my head in a bit as it was sort of neither jazz nor stingray.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’d say between £300-£400 is good money for one of these, heading towards £500 is into USA MM Sub 5 territory and maybe even tatty 2eq money (but not 5 string MM).

I sold mine as it sounded “nearly” stingray ish, but not quite and that did my head in a bit as it was sort of neither jazz nor stingray.

That's interesting. I've only played one but I probably preferred the sound to that of either Jazz or Ray.

I think the Retro Active are a bit higher up the ladder than the Groove. I think Status' current cheapest bass is around £1700 new.

When I was looking at prices on my Retro Jazz, I came across a couple on the continent, both £2k + (admittedly with dealers), which is frankly ridiculous IMO.

1 minute ago, karlfer said:

I think the Retro Active are a bit higher up the ladder than the Groove. I think Status' current cheapest bass is around £1700 new.

When I was looking at prices on my Retro Jazz, I came across a couple on the continent, both £2k + (admittedly with dealers), which is frankly ridiculous IMO.

Well like I say, the last grooves had graphite necks.

and he’d charge you £1500+ to make one again 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Well like I say, the last grooves had graphite necks.

and he’d charge you £1500+ to make one again 😉

Must admit Andy, that comes under "learn something every day". I've seen a few Grooves over the years but not a graphite neck one.

Always have to resist when a Shark comes up as well :$ :lol:

3 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I thought even the earlier ones had graphite reinforcement in the neck?

Yeah they were graphite reinforced...the one I mentioned above I think wore a status MM Graphite neck.

edit - it was sold on basschat in 2008/2009

Edited by AndyTravis

Love these basses, I’ve owned four and wouldn’t hesitate if I had the money.

I had the very last “real” Groove ever made, a fretless with a wooden neck and refer having to sell it to find other “grown up” things a few years ago. Rob made three more after this with a graphite neck but they don’t count ;)

@AndyTravis has the valuation spot on I think :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/11/2018 at 07:49, visog said:

Erm best contact Status. I don't believe it is but as they're custom makers, they could probably make one for you specifically although at a price. Best check second-hand markets and put a Wanted ad out on BC here... You've a near miss with me as I have a Shark 2 active I'm thinking of moving on from the same era.

That my old one by any chance? My first ever bass if so! 

(Yep jammy me managed to go from a borrowed Stagg that had been a failed CDT project to getting a Status as my first bass! :D it wasn’t *quite* as crazy as it sounds but still sounds jammy)