Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, prowla said:

It's properly played in, with the obligatory headstock repair.

Mine is too - its a '78 :D

No headstock repair on mine though. I don't play guitar much these days, but when I was 14/15, I really wanted a les paul 'the paul' that was in telecoms, but my dad wouldn't lend me the money (which annoyed me at the time but he was totally right). Was sitting at a multi band birthday party with the guitarist and the guitarist in the band playing was playing a 'the paul' reissue, and he said 'oh I have one of the originals of those' and I mentioned how I wanted one as a kid, turned out he wanted to sell it, and didn't want much for it. Thats why I have one. Irony being I paid 30 quid more for it than it was priced at in 79/80.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you! Regarding the date, I'm as much in the dark as everybody else. The website only reads 'September 2020', which, to be honest, is just not good enough. Compare and contrast with Winter NAMM 2020, where the Winter NAMM 2021 dates were already being advertised, so people could get them in the diary. 🙄

On 30/09/2019 at 08:28, Chownybass said:

The Food of My People! (Die kos van my volk!)

Watching the Wales V. SA semi-final (in a Scottish pub) with a bunch of my compatriots there were actually several South Africans in their too.

One guy pulled out a bag of biltong he'd sneaked into the UK. While I was forgiven for being a veggie, the meat eaters who struggled got soundly mocked.

I don't remember the result of the match...

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It's going to be at the Business Centre again, some time in September 2020. That's all we know from their website. It's currently late February 2020. Frankly, that's pretty poor.

Agree. Given that it was the first go-around at a combined Git/Bass show, in a brand new venue for the event, and there was a bit of a mixed reception in some circles....I'd have thought that it would have been a good tactic for them to get the details sorted out and announced in a confident manner, MANY months early.  Bah.

• Like 1

It's always like this for this particular show. Someone clearly believes that keeping important details secret until late will create a buzz, while all it does is lose customers.

We have gigs on both the possible weekends In September when the show may be on, and this time I'm giving priority to the gigs, not the show, which will mean I'll leave early or have to skip the show altogether.

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It's always like this for this particular show. Someone clearly believes that keeping important details secret until late will create a buzz, while all it does is lose customers.

Publicising events too early can work against you too.

My sister was excited to find that one of her favourite comedians was playing a venue close to her in a few months time and that there were still tickets available. However only when she turned up on the night and couldn't get did she discover that she was a year early for the gig!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Paying gigs ALWAYS take priority over any bass show....

Sometimes the show is paid work too, but I do agree, booked, paid gigs take priority. Until now, when I was reasonably sure that the show dates would be the same every year, we marked the relevant Friday and Saturday evenings as not available for the bands. This year we didn't dare, in case the show changed again, or didn't happen or whatever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

@LondonBassGuitarShow - Exactly this. Trying to keep possible weekends free, but the calendar is booking up...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Someone clearly believes that keeping important details secret until late will create a buzz, while all it does is lose customers.

Those outside the M25 at least. I'll be coming, unless gigs are booked between now and the last set of press releases. Then gigs take priority, even if there's only a few days between the two. Buzz and rumour can only be tolerated for so long.

• Like 1