Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Well, when I went a couple of years ago, it got so loud that my whole head was reverberating and I had to go out.

OK, this little moan has been going on waaay too long.  Nothing personal, but lets get something straight here.

THE SHOW WILL BE NOISY.

It always is, it always has been, and it always will be.  Its the nature of the beast. No single person has a volume control.  Not one organiser, exhibitor, or visitor.  We all play a part.

The noise level of an average rock concert is 100-120db (usually the higher end of this), and while the rumbling frequencies at a bass show are often unpleasant, it rarely if ever gets consistently that loud.  I think the guys monitoring the volume try to keep it at 95db or below, which is pretty sensible (and for the new venue may need to be even quieter), but it WILL be abused by someone (probably by everyone at least once over the weekend). So, bring some ear plugs, as you should for a concert (and if you are a pro musician, tech or an industry professional, you definitely should have taken advantage of "Hear for Musicians" by now, to get proper assessment and protection for £30 for MU members, £40 if you are not MU.  The scheme is still running...  no excuses!).

If you're coming, play your part in avoiding the whole thing sounding like skeletons with a big sound system, partying in a biscuit tin, be aware that you also have a mutual responsibility here.

If you're not coming, then please accept that we all know by now it will be noisy, and don't keep posting that here, its getting kinda dull!!!

...and btw, given that with the usual background music, ambient conversation volume will already be around 80-85db in most public venues, next time you play in a pub/club or function, stick a properly calibrated db meter (not an app on a phone, phone mics are not capable of accurately measuring anything above 90db) about 1m away from your bass amp while the band is in full swing, capture the log for a few minutes and post the results to prove you are staying below 95db.  You are excused this test if you only play acoustically, but the drummer will still mess up your own readings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MoJoKe said:

OK, this little moan has been going on waaay too long.  Nothing personal, but lets get something straight here.

THE SHOW WILL BE NOISY.

It always is, it always has been, and it always will be.  Its the nature of the beast. No single person has a volume control.  Not one organiser, exhibitor, or visitor.  We all play a part.

The noise level of an average rock concert is 100-120db (usually the higher end of this), and while the rumbling frequencies at a bass show are often unpleasant, it rarely if ever gets consistently that loud.  I think the guys monitoring the volume try to keep it at 95db or below, which is pretty sensible (and for the new venue may need to be even quieter), but it WILL be abused by someone (probably by everyone at least once over the weekend). So, bring some ear plugs, as you should for a concert (and if you are a pro musician, tech or an industry professional, you definitely should have taken advantage of "Hear for Musicians" by now, to get proper assessment and protection for £30 for MU members, £40 if you are not MU.  The scheme is still running...  no excuses!).

If you're coming, play your part in avoiding the whole thing sounding like skeletons with a big sound system, partying in a biscuit tin, be aware that you also have a mutual responsibility here.

If you're not coming, then please accept that we all know by now it will be noisy, and don't keep posting that here, its getting kinda dull!!!

...and btw, given that with the usual background music, ambient conversation volume will already be around 80-85db in most public venues, next time you play in a pub/club or function, stick a properly calibrated db meter (not an app on a phone, phone mics are not capable of accurately measuring anything above 90db) about 1m away from your bass amp while the band is in full swing, capture the log for a few minutes and post the results to prove you are staying below 95db.  You are excused this test if you only play acoustically, but the drummer will still mess up your own readings!

Sure - I have some earplugs and they are essential!

But the volumes being at a level where it is uncomfortable and you can't hold a conversation make it an unpleasant place to be.

I don't have the answer - maybe acoustic booths, loud rooms, or something.

I would also say that being in a relatively small hall with several cranked up bass amps is probably louder than a pub gig, or even a large venue concert.

As for the moan aspect, consider it feedback (haha - geddit?).

5 hours ago, prowla said:

Well, when I went a couple of years ago, it got so loud that my whole head was reverberating and I had to go out.

There were one or two stands where folks were hogging the kit too.

Was it JJ Burnel or Jean-Paul Sartre who  said 'hell is other bass players'?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Actually, at the Midlands Bass Bash everyone was pretty civilised volume wise...

I think the Bass Bashes are great and folks are pretty good.

I might've cranked up my amp a bit at one when I was trying out a Barefaced 1x10 before buying it, but otherwise very civilised.

Anyway, I'll be flying over from Dublin for a long weekend, since I haven't been to any kind of music show in well over a decade, and haven't even been to London in over three years. I'll be at the Show on Saturday only. To be honest, I'm trying to rekindle a bit of enthusiasm for the bass, hoping for a bit more variety and bass knowledge than I find in the few shops here.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bnt said:

Anyway, I'll be flying over from Dublin for a long weekend, since I haven't been to any kind of music show in well over a decade, and haven't even been to London in over three years. I'll be at the Show on Saturday only. To be honest, I'm trying to rekindle a bit of enthusiasm for the bass, hoping for a bit more variety and bass knowledge than I find in the few shops here.

Hope you enjoy it!

You could also try going to a Bass Bash - they are better than any show!

• Like 3

On 25/08/2019 at 09:06, prowla said:

Hope you enjoy it!

You could also try going to a Bass Bash - they are better than any show!

I will keep an eye out for those, maybe a Midlands one if it's somewhere accessible by public transport. It would be just me with a hard case on the ferry & train, no car!

Hi fellow bass lovers!

I haven’t posted anything here before but think this is a great way to start!

I will attend the LBGS in a couple of weeks. It’s my first time to the show and I will be there together with Kala Ubass! I believe it’s the first time Kala has their own dedicated bass ubass stand at the show too!

If you’ll be there please come by and say hi and try out some different ubass models!

All the best from Sweden,

Magnus

http://playubass.com

0B12E7A5-1EEE-48FF-8A1A-12D117EF4908.png

Edited by basmagnus
  • Like 4

On 01/09/2019 at 10:07, Bobthedog said:

Apologies for the hijack but Magnus playing C Jam blues with Frank Vignola is saved into my favourite videos folder on You Tube. Looking forward to meeting the man!  I will have to buy one now.

...and having seen that, I want one now!!

Watching that, on the day on which I bought my ticket for the Show, mightn't have been the wisest move..!!

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 1

As the hour approaches, I can’t make up my mind whether to make the trip or not. I’m sorted gear wise and there’s no one on the Sunday that I’d like to see. May end up giving my ticket away