Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

Judging by what I can see on their website, it looks more like a NAMM-style layout than two separate halls.

While I share the feeling of frustration with you all, may I suggest we stop being defeatist on principle, and wait until this event has taken place, before we rant or rave about it?

I do understand that those of you who live far from London rightly don't want to risk the hassle and expense of a 'wasted' weekend in the capital, should the show be a bust. In that case, I'd suggest you sit and wait until we Londoners, and those who live close enough to try this unknown quantity without too much damage, report back on what the show really was like. THEN you can slate it or decide that, after all, it sounds equally intriguing and you will try it next year.

(Note: I have no particular affiliation with the show, other than being a contributor to BGM. This year I've made sure to buy my own ticket so I don't have to work while I'm there, and can instead look at the whole show, guitars included, on my own terms.)

I for one will be attending, observing, and reporting back in detail, before passing judgement.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

While I share the feeling of frustration with you all, may I suggest we stop being defeatist on principle, and wait until this event has taken place, before we rant or rave about it?

Well said, Sylvia. I can see why folks are concerned, but it'll be easier to judge after the event. I'm uneasy, I have to admit, but I'm hoping that my concerns will prove unfounded. See you there! 

• Thanks 1

Are folks being defeatist?

The show is a month and a half away and it's not yet planned.

Folks coming from afar need to organise their weekend and spend a chunk of dosh to go.

So far there's not a "must see" item for me, but I'll probably go anyway.

As far as events go, the Bass Bash and the Kempton Park guitar fairs in October are definites in my calendar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the show is planned, but not fully revealed, or perhaps not fully confirmed. 

My point was that you don't have to attend if you think it won't be worth your while. However, the key word here is 'think'. You won't be sure you're correct until either you see in person or hear reliable reports. And that's not going to happen until the show has actually taken place. So all this doom-mongering in advance is a bit unnecessary in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Sure - I'm not doom-mongering or anything 🙂 - just deciding whether it will be worth my while!

So far it's looking like lean pickings on the exhibitors front (I wonder if Warwick will take some parts - I need a just-a-nut for a 5-string).

Artiste-wise, paul Gilbert is a good 'un and Becky Baldwin with her Ric would be cool.

One thing I have to remember, assuming I go, is to take my ear-plugs; the previous one I went to was physically painful at times!

• Like 1

I should add that the fact BC isn’t having a stand at the show is mainly due to staffing and lack of funds rather than any other show based factors. I’m looking forward to coming and enjoying the show as a regular punter this year.  

There was another guitar player announced a few days ago, who had also appeared in my YouTube suggestions about a week earlier - Lari Basilio, she’s a bit good. One could hope that the bass player she’s used on her latest album would accompany her, but no announcement about Nathan East, so I’m guessing no :(.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 10:23, MisterT said:

Just seen that Eric Gales is on the Sunday and for the first time I've booked the blimmin' Saturday. I guess you can't pin 'em all down to 2 days, bit of a 50/50 guess when you book tickets, I think that's my only gripe as I don't really fancy making a weekend of it.

Have enjoyed the shows over the past, umm, 4 years I've been attending - will see how the new format goes but tbh I'd happily watch the 6 stringers do their thing.

You can use your ticket for Sunday instead if you want to - as long as it hasn't been scanned on Saturday we will accept it for Sunday (and vice versa)!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

You can use your ticket for Sunday instead if you want to - as long as it hasn't been scanned on Saturday we will accept it for Sunday (and vice versa)!

Ooh - now that's most welcome ... ta for posting!

• Like 1

Hi all

We do appreciate your constructive feedback, and we have been working very hard to bring you the show you know and love, plus more!

Hopefully this will set your minds at ease...

For the 2018 show we had 9 bass acts on the two main stages, this year we have 8 bass acts  - this is due to the venue needing to close an hour earlier on Sunday as they have fussy neighbours. So we have Ariane Cap, Nick Beggs, John Patitucci, Cody Wright, Scott Devine, Bassist of the Year finals (3 bassists performing), Lorenzo Feliciati (playing with guitarist Ciro Manna) and one band yet to be announced. 

We had 24 masterclass/workshop sessions last year and we have 26 this year.

We had 67 brands in total last year at the show, and we currently have 67 booked, with 5 weeks to go so we're expecting more to come!

Plus there will be live luthiery, vintage gear, Monty's guitar garage where you can have your bass worked on, oh... and some guitars to look at in case you're interested in those as well 😉

Not long to go now - we hope you enjoy it, and we will of course ask for your feedback after the show so that we can continue to improve it year after year.

Best wishes

The London Bass Guitar Show team

• Thanks 2

On 11/08/2019 at 12:52, TheGreek said:

Remember the complaints of the continual bass slapping?

You'll be missing this when all you can hear is never ending distorted/overdriven guitar solos...I'm glad i won't be going.

Do people seriously go to a bass guitar show and get annoyed about the sound of other people playing bass guitars? 😂

Edited by funkyjimbob
spelling mistake
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, funkyjimbob said:

Do people seriously go to a bass guitar show and get annoyed about the sound of other people playing bass guitars? 😂

It's ALL headphones ALL the time at Casa Chowny at the show. (I lie... we'll have Markbass Combos with headphones, so you can make noise if you want to). But you can also use headphones. Best of both worlds. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, funkyjimbob said:

Only when their playing sounds like they're falling down the stairs! lol!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2019 at 15:06, funkyjimbob said:

Well, when I went a couple of years ago, it got so loud that my whole head was reverberating and I had to go out.

There were one or two stands where folks were hogging the kit too.

On 13/08/2019 at 15:06, funkyjimbob said:

If you're asking that, I can only assume you don't go to many!

• Haha 1