Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, prowla said:

The purpose of the show is to attract visitors (ie. paying customers); me, I'm going to see what I'm up to on the day before I decide whether to go.

It does for sure require a big effort on the part of the exhibitors, and nobody is downplaying that; however,  if there's little or nothing of interest then the case for going is not made.

There are people who are looking to plan ahead: book hotels, flights, plan weekends, so there needs to be stuff there for them.

So far I've not seen a "must go" item on the list so far; the nearest is Paul Gilbert, but he's also got a gig upcoming nearby to me, which I could go to instead.

Like me.

50 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

With respect, I'm not seeing anyone being rude (although there are now 8 pages of comments, so there may be some examples?), what I'm seeing is honest feedback from the Shows key demographic to a significant change in their key offering. 

If there is an overwhelming trend towards the negative in the feedback received, this should be a cause for concern within any organisation. 

This is the sort of information most organisations would dream of receiving and often pay handsomely for, as it highlights areas for improvement and response to changes.

Sorry I'm not native English speaker, rude might be a strong word, but I meant Something like whining about

4 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Sorry I'm not native English speaker, rude might be a strong word, but I meant Something like whining about

Cheers. I do totally understand where you're coming from, it's just that this type of direct and honest (as well as free) feedback is worth it's weight in gold.

In my last role, one of our businesses provided customer service for a number of high profile clients in the transport industry. When we did our quarterly review of customer feedback, we actively looked for the negative in order to understand where we were going wrong so we could make the necessary improvements. Nobody took it personally (unless it was aimed at a specific agent) as its seen as fundamental to business development and improvement of customer services. 

In regards to the LBGS, if there is a significant drop in ticket sales for the bass show (I'm not saying there will be, just hypothetically) , the feedback received from this site (as well as others no doubt) will help inform the organisers of why and what needs to be done to rectify next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

If you want to see what day each artist is appearing, navigate to the stage they are on on the website:

https://www.ukguitarshow.com/2019-programme/performances/auditorium

https://www.ukguitarshow.com/2019-programme/performances/the-a-stage

Booo..... Nick Beggs is only on the Saturday. I'm gigging Saturday so that's ballsed it.

Hoping for someone decent on the Sunday.

I’m going on Sunday (as I’m gigging on Saturday) so no John Patitcucci masterclass for me. Probably means most Basschatters going will also be going on Saturday 

On 19/07/2019 at 18:53, marleaux62 said:

Exactly no Ashsdown, John East, rotosound, or Andy Baxter. Speaks volumes.

no rotosound is possible alarm bells guys  ,,, well ? its best to visit just to see if TLGBS is still viable ,, whether it is evolving into a U.S  style NAMM

if not it was great going to TLBGS over the years from around 2011 ,,

in years to come people will back with pride to say i was there when bass players ruled  

• Like 2

On 28/07/2019 at 00:04, Bean9seventy said:

no rotosound is possible alarm bells guys  ,,, well ? its best to visit just to see if TLGBS is still viable ,, whether it is evolving into a U.S  style NAMM

if not it was great going to TLBGS over the years from around 2011 ,,

in years to come people will back with pride to say i was there when bass players ruled  

Or it will exceed expectations and we'll all be back for more...  See you there hopefully!

Crikey this thread has made dismal reading from time to time, and not just this post!

The show website is being added to fairly regularly, both in terms of artists and exhibitors, and it certainly won't be a success if it is not supported by both the community and the industry, and I for one don't have any issues about allowing guitarists to share our event if it means that it attracts the likes of Fender and Ibanez and other names who (while they may not be your cup of tea!) definitely wouldn't be there if it was a bass only show...

If anyone is interested in going, then go, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, you'll then be fully qualified to an opinion.

Oh, and bass players will always rule...  and some of us prefer to be glass half full types...!

• Like 3

Exactly as Kevin says. I for one loved NAMM and being able to see other instruments as well as bass. If that helps with the survival of the Bass Show, I'm all for it. I'm reasonably sure that there would be no business or practical reason to have the bass section disappear altogether by stealth within a few years as someone has suggested. There are a lot more guitarists than bassists, but we still exist!

Also:

On 26/07/2019 at 10:33, Thomas68 said:

Are there also some exhibitors with double basses? And are there some artists who play the double bass?

John Patitucci does play double bass as well as electric. A large double bass stand used to be a regular at previous LBGSs, but I haven't seen it for a couple of years. A return would be welcome (and mightily GAS-inducing, I assure you).

• Like 1

I have a fair bit f experience fo shows in another field.

London is a mission for me, but exhibitors tend to prefer it as a venue for shows because it's closer to a guaranteed audience and preferred by exhibitors who can mistrust 'regional' shows.

The irony is that London venues are so expensive, which means exhibitors have to cough £££ to get a stand, so an exhibition can wash its face.

Trouble is, most sales are online now, so people don';t go to shows to buy, they go to 'kick tyres' and then come home and buy online at the best price they can find.

This means sellers like bass direct will have little to gain.

Obviously a manufacturer can benefit as they gain wherever the punters decide to buy.

As I say London is hard for me, but the more people who go to the Bass-Bit the more likely it is to happen again next year and be of a decent size. Use it or lose it.

P.S. Personal bet - the Bass Guitar show has an average age 20 years older than the guitar show*.

*It was a good 25 years ago I last went to a guitar show; I recall a clinic with Jennifer Batten. 'Her chops are too righteous'.

10 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

I for one don't have any issues about allowing guitarists to share our event

I like guitarists but couldn't eat a whole one.

Seriously though, I'd be as happy watching a masterclass by Paul Gilbert as I would one by John Patitucci. It's all music

Edited by MoJo

• 2 weeks later...

HELPER NEEDED. I need an extra pair of hands on my stand in case I need to go pee or eat or suchlike. I can get you in the show (and you're free to wander around and go watch the artists) as long as you check in with me periodically. Ideally if you can hang around till the end of Sunday and watch my stuff while I go get the van that'd be good too. 

I'll buy you lunch and get you entry for both days. DM/PM me if you feel like doing it. :)

*** I LOVE BASSCHAT! I have a helper. Best community site EVER! Thanks

Edited by Chownybass
  • Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:26, MoJo said:

I like guitarists but couldn't eat a whole one.

Seriously though, I'd be as happy watching a masterclass by Paul Gilbert as I would one by John Patitucci. It's all music

A Paul Gilbert masterclass would be a blast: he's charismatic and funny, he's not a bad noodler with those enormous fingers either! *swoon*

Above: that's a great offer by @chownybass btw - hope someone can take him up on it.

Edited by Daz39

I have tickets for both days but am still waiting on the announcements previously referred to. If nothing more happens, my tickets will remain unused.. Lots of guitarists are being emailed to me, but still not a plethora of bass players. I have no issue with combining the shows, especially if it means more manufacturers turning up, however, I am still of the feeling that the bass part is now a low priority. 

Just seen that Eric Gales is on the Sunday and for the first time I've booked the blimmin' Saturday. I guess you can't pin 'em all down to 2 days, bit of a 50/50 guess when you book tickets, I think that's my only gripe as I don't really fancy making a weekend of it.

Have enjoyed the shows over the past, umm, 4 years I've been attending - will see how the new format goes but tbh I'd happily watch the 6 stringers do their thing.