Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

Hi all, our marketing campaign starts at the end of May which is why we are still a little quiet! It's all happening behind the scenes, we promise :)

As a heads up, we will be redirecting londonbassguitarshow.com to ukguitarshow.com, and using this site for both shows. This is to make it easier to find everything about the shows in one place. We trialled two separate websites for other co-located events we run (The Photography Show and The Video Show) and it just didn't work for a variety of reasons.

The current exhibitor list is now live on ukguitarshow.com, and artists will be revealed throughout the campaign period as usual.

We can't wait to show you what we have in store!

The LBGS Team x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have my weekend tickets too; a little concerned, however, at the lack of named bass artists to date. Does the sale of the early tickets provide some funding for such I wonder. I also wonder if the bass part of the show is going to be a lesser event compared to when a stand alone show. Hmmm.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

Hi I'm going to stop over in London for the show can anyone recommend a hotel not the savoy or the ritz 😀

I’ve booked The Hub at Kings X, not too far - one or two tube stops, or a 15 minute walk. Plenty of restaurants in the area, and well connected to the rest of London.

I stay there for work a lot - the rooms are modern and clean, but tiny. I managed to get two nights for £100, though I booked a while ago.

George

Cool, looking forward to getting down on one day. Shame we're sharing but guess it's economies of scale, would rather that than no show at all.

Bring your earplugs for all those shredding demos, and no more sneaking into the Knitting show :( . Loads better location though. 

I saw the half price tickers promo but I feel I can't buy tickets when I have no idea which pros are going to be making an appearance. Surely some info from the promoters should be filtering through by now...

Just checked - still nothing.....

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

While I do understand - and share - your frustration at not knowing exactly who's going to exhibit or perform, I can't think of any LBGS (or previous music show) I've ever been that I regretted buying a ticket for. Not a single one. Especially for less than £20 for the whole weekend. There are always one or more shops, luthiers, masterclasses or performances that make the day/weekend worth while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

While I do understand - and share - your frustration at not knowing exactly who's going to exhibit or perform, I can't think of any LBGS (or previous music show) I've ever been that I regretted buying a ticket for. Not a single one. Especially for less than £20 for the whole weekend. There are always one or more shops, luthiers, masterclasses or performances that make the day/weekend worth while.

You're right that £20 is good value for the event. I have attended a number of the previous shows and really enjoyed myself. However for many who want to attend and are outside London, the problem is not the ticket cost, it's the travelling, accomodation, food etc that we need to spend. For me in Aberdeen I have to budget £500 to cover this AND book time off and flights / train / hotel early enough to get reasonable deals. I am much less inclined to commit if I don't know who's on, when they're on or what's actually happening.

If you think of the Bass Show as a mini-festival, lots of musical acts with other attractions and vendors going on around the perifery. If any other festival started promoting and selling tickets without also advertising who was the headliner or support acts, ticket sales would be dire. Who would spend £20 on a ticket never mind a lot more than that?

I'm really hoping (like others) that they publish whats happening sooner rather than later to give those living in the distant wastelands of the UK (ie: outside of the M25 😁) a chance to plan and attend.

• Like 3

Yes you're absolutely right, and I do wish they would get the lineup(s) sorted by the time the tix go on sale.

The usual reasons quoted for the delay are that a. they want to keep the suspense going (does that mean they are mostly targeting  local visitors as opposed to people like you?) and b. the artists especially are bloody difficult to pin down to attendance (perhaps the fee isn't enormous, and they get a lot of cancellations when the artist receives a better offer?)

As I said, frustration shared, even if I live in London. I can choose to go to the LBGS with a press pass and work, or buy my own ticket and go as a visitor and have fun, so I'm in the same boat as you guys.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 09:38, Silvia Bluejay said:

Gotta be honest though, change of venue and combination with the guitar show makes me more hesitant about grabbing tickets until fuller details are out...

• Like 3

I'm going to skip it this year.

I'm not a fan of trying out gear in rooms where I can't hear myself think, so for me it's always been a case of workshop to main stage to workshop to main stage for the day, with tiny windows for coffee and quick chats with passing Basschatters. It's always been excellent value for money for that alone. Unless they have double the auditorium space I can't see how the bass content won't be reduced, or at least merged with the guitar end of things (which IME never works out in favour of the bass). That, coupled with the lack of announcements, leaves me thinking it's best to wait and see how things pan out.

• Like 2

Sadly, I think I'll be giving it a miss too. The fact there are still no artists announced on the website doesn't fill me with confidence, and sharing the event with a guitar show doesn't seem all that appealing.  

If I lived nearer to London I'd be willing to take a punt, just to see what it was like. But as others have said above, if you add on travel and accommodation costs from other parts of the country it makes for an expensive weekend. I had no problems with that when I knew I was going to be in for a treat, but this year I'm not so sure.

Real shame, as  I have attended since 2011 and really enjoyed every LBGS I went to.  

😥

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Three months to go and still no confirmed line up? Very poor indeed. Sounds like it could end up being the guitar show’s sidekick in the long run, or disappear completely. However, I’m going with a bunch of guitar playing chums this year who I don’t see that often (one is another bassist, so I won’t be on my own whilst checking out the bass gear) so it’ll be a fun day anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've given them a nudge today to say that there are "no announced artist rumblings", which as an exhibitor doesn't thrill me either. 

Response was

"We will be beginning artist announcements at the end of this week, hopefully the names we will be getting will sway any negative comments the other way."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

I've given them a nudge today to say that there are "no announced artist rumblings", which as an exhibitor doesn't thrill me either. 

Response was

"We will be beginning artist announcements at the end of this week, hopefully the names we will be getting will sway any negative comments the other way."

Well done you 👏👏👏

It’s only when their real bread and butter (the exhibitors) start to kick off that anything really happens. We thank you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

Response was

Maybe you could mention to them that "beginning artist announcements" is not good enough! ☹️ It all looks to me like they havent got anyone but can't tell us for obvious reasons! 😮 Sorry about the grumble. Its not your fault. Appreciate you feeding back to them 👍

(PS: Extra grumpiness today as I've just come back from the dentist with toothache! 😖)

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 1