Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

On 21/01/2019 at 12:17, geoham said:

The UK Guitar Show website is now showing a date - 21st & 22nd September, at the Business Design Centre in Islington. Can we assume the LBGS will also be the same weekend? I want to make the trip from Glasgow with my guitar playing mate, it'd be good to get a confirmed date so we can start booking hotels travel. Always cheaper in advance!

Looks alright https://www.businessdesigncentre.co.uk/

Better than the Excel Centre anyway :)

• Like 1

Hi all, the London Bass Guitar Show will indeed take place on 21 & 22 September at the Business Design Centre, Islington, London. We're really excited about the new venue which is convenient to get to and geared up to offer a better experience for visitors and exhibitors. Tickets will go on sale around May, in the meantime keep your eyes peeled for announcements!

We value your thoughts and feedback Basschatters, so if you have any ideas for artists, features etc. you would like to see at the show or anything you would improve (please bear in mind that we can't control venue catering/parking etc), please email [email protected] 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

Hi all, the London Bass Guitar Show will indeed take place on 21 & 22 September at the Business Design Centre, Islington, London. We're really excited about the new venue which is convenient to get to and geared up to offer a better experience for visitors and exhibitors. Tickets will go on sale around May, in the meantime keep your eyes peeled for announcements!

We value your thoughts and feedback Basschatters, so if you have any ideas for artists, features etc. you would like to see at the show or anything you would improve (please bear in mind that we can't control venue catering/parking etc), please email [email protected] 😀

One question from me. I will be attending with my guitarist friend. Will a bass ticket also get us access to the guitar event?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

Thanks for making the effort to contact this forum - much appreciated.

What will the situation be as regards rooms for performances by name artists, the SBL Academy, etc.? 

Also, would you be able to dedicate a room/an area for lower-level/acoustic instrument manufacturers?

3 minutes ago, mangotango said:

Thanks for making the effort to contact this forum - much appreciated.

What will the situation be as regards rooms for performances by name artists, the SBL Academy, etc.? 

Also, would you be able to dedicate a room/an area for lower-level/acoustic instrument manufacturers?

We are still working out the finer details, but there are a number of rooms and a purpose-built auditorium at BDC as per Olympia, so there will be plenty of content on for both bassists and guitarists.

We are going to aim to split the show floor into areas for bass, electric and acoustic exhibitors, but obviously there will be some crossover so it won't be a straight split.

• Like 1

The last London Show I went to there were times where it felt like my whole head was resonating with the volume wars.

Somehow there needs to be a way for people to play the amps at a level suitable to hear the kit, but not directly facing someone else who wants to hear their kit too!

• Like 1

Agree with @prowla - the experience can be spoilt by the "noise wars" that go on.

I like the Strings'n'things/ EB model - headphones for attendees to try their basses without destroying the hearing of those walking past. How about booths for testing amps? If all the stands did this there would be no complaints about the noise levels and we'd be able to speak to stall holders and actually hear what they have to say. 

If I go this year I'll be taking my own Vox Amphones so I can try anything I like - no waiting for amps or competing with others trying gear nearby.

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Agree with @prowla - the experience can be spoilt by the "noise wars" that go on.

I like the Strings'n'things/ EB model - headphones for attendees to try their basses without destroying the hearing of those walking past. How about booths for testing amps? If all the stands did this there would be no complaints about the noise levels and we'd be able to speak to stall holders and actually hear what they have to say. 

If I go this year I'll be taking my own Vox Amphones so I can try anything I like - no waiting for amps or competing with others trying gear nearby.

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I forgot to take my earplugs last time. 

Man ,, ? i don't mind how loud it gets ,, but ,,

i never leave home without my headphones ,,, guys

better than ear plugs ,, but those who leave their headphones at the air port ? ear plugs are perfect ,, & good to use ,, sometimes you see people on gear stalls handing them out ,, free

LBGS ,, T,M Stevens ,, ;D

On 14/02/2019 at 19:15, prowla said:

The last London Show I went to there were times where it felt like my whole head was resonating with the volume wars.

Somehow there needs to be a way for people to play the amps at a level suitable to hear the kit, but not directly facing someone else who wants to hear their kit too!

We do everything we can to police the noise, but ultimately it's down to the exhibitors to keep it at a sensible level and not have 'noise wars'! A member of our ops team walks the floor with a decibel meter throughout show opening times to ensure that it stays at a safe level. 

We also hand out free ear plugs for anyone who needs them 😀

We have looked into soundproof booths, but unless a soundproofing company wants to exhibit and provide them for the show, it's just not within our budget to install them.

1 hour ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

ultimately it's down to the exhibitors to keep it at a sensible level and not have 'noise wars'!

Yeah, that doesn't really work though does it? They're there to sell and if a punter wants to play loudly, they're not going to potentially hinder a possible sale by asking them to turn down. The Eich stand last year was a case in point, the exhibitor opposite must have been particularly irritated (I certainly didn't want to peruse their wares because of the adjacent racket and I was wearing earplugs!). Perhaps having the exhibitors have their own individual baffled areas within their stands is a compromise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

We do everything we can to police the noise, but ultimately it's down to the exhibitors to keep it at a sensible level and not have 'noise wars'! A member of our ops team walks the floor with a decibel meter throughout show opening times to ensure that it stays at a safe level. 

We also hand out free ear plugs for anyone who needs them 😀

We have looked into soundproof booths, but unless a soundproofing company wants to exhibit and provide them for the show, it's just not within our budget to install them.

The one I went to, I was in pain at some points.

Can we please remember that it's usually the visitors who turn up the volume. Everybody is complaining about everybody else's noise, but when it's their turn on the amp or bass, they go full whack without even realising.

Some stands, like @Chownybass IIRC, offer high quality headphone amps, but not everyone visiting is happy to use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Can we please remember that it's usually the visitors who turn up the volume. Everybody is complaining about everybody else's noise, but when it's their turn on the amp or bass, they go full whack without even realising.

Some stands, like @Chownybass IIRC, offer high quality headphone amps, but not everyone visiting is happy to use them.

Well, it's true that someone has to turn up the volume.

I recall someone on the Markbass stand cranking it up stupidly loud to play stuff; I happened across his website a few months back and was surprised to see they he can actually play!

But I don't think the headphones are the answer - I tried a Dingwall through some and it was meaningless.

Maybe all amps should have to face the wall?

Can you please put all the decent bassist seminars on the Sunday afternoon? I'll be gigging Saturday which means I'm unavailable from early afternoon on the Saturday.
Sunday afternoon will give me a chance to lie in on Sunday morning and then take a leisurely journey up at lunchtime. Cheers! 😉

15 hours ago, prowla said:

Well, it's true that someone has to turn up the volume.

I recall someone on the Markbass stand cranking it up stupidly loud to play stuff; I happened across his website a few months back and was surprised to see they he can actually play!

But I don't think the headphones are the answer - I tried a Dingwall through some and it was meaningless.

Maybe all amps should have to face the wall?

i have been to the LBGS ,,  & was asked to turn my bass down without it being plugged into anything guys ,, ;D

as a person who has busked bass from 1989* in central london ,, We Know as soon as people hear Big Funk on bass it gets shut down ,,

if it was the london  / Rock / bass guitar show this forum would be different ,,

the average rock bassist can find it hard competing with an average funk bassist because of ? ,,, Slap ,,

means as soon as anyone slaps bass over & above the overall din of sound ,, you are aked to turn it down ,,,,, ..... even if its not plugged in

; D ,,, The guy did look a bit silly ,,, when i showed him ,, my bass was connected to nothing ,, anyway all of the pros & cons aside ,,

LBGS  is the next best thing to Namm , ,it gets % thumbs down on youtube ,tho , because its a place where Real People ,,,, including you tubers meet ,, hiders hate lbgs ,,

so,, what ever it is lets keep LBGS going guys ,, not having an amp means nothing   ; D,

i go to LBGS talk jam & chat , share , buy ,, manly on The Oliver Lang stall

it was those guys started to call me The Funk Monsta    ;,,, D

6 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

i have been to the LBGS ,,  & was asked to turn my bass down without it being plugged into anything guys ,, ;D

as a person who has busked bass from 1989* in central london ,, We Know as soon as people hear Big Funk on bass it gets shut down ,,

if it was the london  / Rock / bass guitar show this forum would be different ,,

the average rock bassist can find it hard competing with an average funk bassist because of ? ,,, Slap ,,

means as soon as anyone slaps bass over & above the overall din of sound ,, you are aked to turn it down ,,,,, ..... even if its not plugged in

; D ,,, The guy did look a bit silly ,,, when i showed him ,, my bass was connected to nothing ,, anyway all of the pros & cons aside ,,

LBGS  is the next best thing to Namm , ,it gets % thumbs down on youtube ,tho , because its a place where Real People ,,,, including you tubers meet ,, hiders hate lbgs ,,

so,, what ever it is lets keep LBGS going guys ,, not having an amp means nothing   ; D,

i go to LBGS talk jam & chat , share , buy ,, manly on The Oliver Lang stall

it was those guys started to call me The Funk Monsta    ;,,, D

this year i was going to go to LBGS in march ,, where i was going to push Double Slapping ,, then ask scotts bass lessons if he would be interested in my music theory ,,

it fell apart when they announced it would be in September , now i am jumping the shark trying to do the theory on line ,, its hard for me to do 

cheers

The Worlds 1st Double Slap ,,, thanks ,,

• 1 month later...

So the LBGS is slowly waking up from its slumber, the dates have finally been corrected to September both on their website and on Facebook, and the entry prices have been confirmed (in a reply to my post on their FB page) as the same as last year: £17.50 Early Bird, £20 in advance, £25 on the door. It's a small step forward. :)

LBGS website

LBGS Facebook Page

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, prowla said:

On the noise front, I went to the Bristol guitar show last weekend and never once even considered putting in my earplugs.

It was pretty tame for the most part.

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Still no artists announced...I thought that they'd woken up from their slumber..😉😉

They sent me an invoice, so stuff must be happening! I'll have a moan at them about the marketing. They really should be ramping it up already.