Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:20, Silvia Bluejay said:

I don't know about the 1980s but I have very good memories of The London Music Shows held at Wembley in the 90s. They were very NAMM-like, in that they catered for all musical instruments, sprawled throughout several buldings, and had excellent star guests. Tickets were cheap even by the standards of the time, and included quite a lot of freebies. Very much unlike the LBGS, the Music Show had among the exhibitors a lot of big names with global market presence and practically no small luthiers.

IIRC the rot set in when the Music Show was moved to the Excel in East London, a much less suitable place for that kind of event, and then was killed off by the 2008 recession.

Ah, that's all down to perspective. I always find it harder work to get to get to Wembley than it should be; I much preferred the Excel (15 minutes drive away from Chateau Mango) for distance, but it IS a bit characterless as venues go. I didn't mind Earls Court, especially (as others have said) when the Knitting And Crochet Show was there. Sharing a lift with the Ladies Who Knit was always comedic gold; I once made the comment in the lift (after the Knitters had got out) that if you drew the Venn Diagram of the two groups, the ONLY point where the circles would touch would be Earls Court itself. xD

Anyway, if the LBGS is moving to end of September, will the Sarf-East bass Bash move correspondingly forward so that we have something to look forward to earlier in the year? (Hoping for a Yes here.....I had to miss the last one as I had bookings for both morning and afternoon).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mangotango said:

Anyway, if the LBGS is moving to end of September, will the Sarf-East bass Bash move correspondingly forward so that we have something to look forward to earlier in the year? (Hoping for a Yes here.....I had to miss the last one as I had bookings for both morning and afternoon).

Ha! Not a bad idea! I don't know whether the Jubilee School would be available at a different time of the year, but @Hamster and @silverfoxnik might know.

Guest Marcoelwray
20 minutes ago, mangotango said:

Ah, that's all down to perspective. I always find it harder work to get to get to Wembley than it should be; I much preferred the Excel (15 minutes drive away from Chateau Mango) for distance, but it IS a bit characterless as venues go. I didn't mind Earls Court, especially (as others have said) when the Knitting And Crochet Show was there. Sharing a lift with the Ladies Who Knit was always comedic gold; I once made the comment in the lift (after the Knitters had got out) that if you drew the Venn Diagram of the two groups, the ONLY point where the circles would touch would be Earls Court itself. xD

[...]

I can read english, but I didn't get anything in that ! :D :D :D 

Personally, I'm just disappointed to have to wait so long for my first UK trip AND LBGS.

Guest Marcoelwray
4 hours ago, mangotango said:

Peut-être, à l’avenir, il me faut écrire en Français?

You could write this conversation in Swahili, I wouldn't be able to get geographical mystic of London ;)

6 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Ha! Not a bad idea! I don't know whether the Jubilee School would be available at a different time of the year, but @Hamster and @silverfoxnik might know.

That'd be something that @Hamster would have to check for us Silvia...

I'll message him to find out.. 😊

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

You could write this conversation in Swahili, I wouldn't be able to get geographical mystic of London ;)

That's fair enough; it took me ages after I moved down to my current location before I had any grasp of the detailed geography of London.

Which is often the case with big cities, especially Capitals. The locals think that everyone should know the smallest details; the visitors wouldn't have a clue of anything beyond the tourist landmarks.

I wish I could write in Swahili; now that would be a talking point!! :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, mangotango said:

I wish I could write in Swahili; now that would be a talking point!! :biggrin:

Napenda napenda kuandika kwa Kiswahili; sasa hiyo itakuwa hatua ya kuzungumza! *

* Google Translate has that covered for you.

Edited by Chownybass

I've just been having a good long chat with Guy at future publishing. 

No need for any more speculation, all plans for 2019 will be announced in formal press releases to basschat and the wider public hopefully later today.

From what I've heard, with an eye both inside and outside the business,, if they can get this right it will be a great development for both manufacturers and us consumers...  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

There's always one smartarse! 

Funny how often it's me! 

47 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

I've just been having a good long chat with Guy at future publishing. 

No need for any more speculation, all plans for 2019 will be announced in formal press releases to basschat and the wider public hopefully later today.

From what I've heard, with an eye both inside and outside the business,, if they can get this right it will be a great development for both manufacturers and us consumers...  Fingers crossed!

While it was nice to know every punter walking past my stand was a bassist, it's probably a good idea. Certainly if it helps contain costs and keeps the event growing/surviving it's good with me. I feel for guys like you who will have to split their presence over two floors/sections though. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm hoping that the NAMM method will apply, as in, one stand with both basses and guitars, plus anything else that the company may sell. Otherwise it'll be utter chaos...

WHAT? You expect me to share space with those WEAK FINGERED GUITARISTS?! 😉 

Edited by Chownybass
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm hoping that the NAMM method will apply, as in, one stand with both basses and guitars, plus anything else that the company may sell. Otherwise it'll be utter chaos...

The trouble with that setup is that many who offer both will likely prefer to be part of the guitar show, usually because they're seen as a guitar brand who offer bass products, not vice-versa. I'd like to see brand stands split over both shows/floors, allowing those who cover both to offer dedicated offerings for each show. Logistically not ideal for the exhibitor, but the best experience for the punter in my opinion. Discounted space would clearly make sense for those looking to split stands, and it would hopefully mean we'd see the return of some big names to the bass show as a result of their attendance at the guitar show. I can see manufacturers not wanting to do that though unfortunately.

But I'm no events coordinator though so we'll see what they've come up with. I'm sure it will be nothing but the best for each show, but retaining the character of the bass show is a must for it to survive I think.

Si

• Like 1

Hi all!

We’ve moved the London Bass Guitar Show from its customary slot in March - but never fear, the event will remain the essential show of the year for bass players!

Although co-located with the UK Guitar Show, it will remain as its own, bass-specific show. Expect the same world-renowned artists, features and educational areas – such as the super-popular Bass Workshop with Scott’s Bass Lessons – as normal, across a two-day schedule. When we know the exact date in September, you will be the first to know so that you can get it in the diary and make sure you don't miss out!

Best wishes from

The LBGS Team
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LondonBassGuitarShow said:

Hi all!

We’ve moved the London Bass Guitar Show from its customary slot in March - but never fear, the event will remain the essential show of the year for bass players!

Although co-located with the UK Guitar Show, it will remain as its own, bass-specific show. Expect the same world-renowned artists, features and educational areas – such as the super-popular Bass Workshop with Scott’s Bass Lessons – as normal, across a two-day schedule. When we know the exact date in September, you will be the first to know so that you can get it in the diary and make sure you don't miss out!

Best wishes from

The LBGS Team

Big love to ya LBGS Team!

On 04/12/2018 at 21:05, silverfoxnik said:

That'd be something that @Hamster would have to check for us Silvia...

I'll message him to find out.. 😊

Right oh - I was musing the same thing. SE Bass Bash in the spring?  I'll check with the school and report back here............... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Thanks Col,

Not sure about Spring for the SE Bash though..??

Will message you.

Nik

Maybe Spring 2019 and March 2020? Walk it back in order to swap with LBGS :)

Si

Edited by Sibob

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:20, mangotango said:

It doesn't make any real difference to me which side of London it's on... it's still on the other side of the bleeding country to me :(  

• Like 1

Guys, unfortunately if it's the LONDON Bass Guitar Show it's unlikely to be held in Birmingham or Edinburgh...

The Excel, where at least a couple of Drum Shows have been held in the past (I attended one of them), is a cavernous, characterless, uninviting horrible place with dreadful acoustics. Not to mention it's as far away from Heathrow as you can be and still be in London (-ish), which definitely didn't help any exhibitors or distributors flying in from abroad. (Using London City or the Chunnel turned out not to be as handy for many.) Thankfully that location didn't last and, as far as I know, is not in the current shortlist.

• Like 1