Why become a member? ×

Will this work as a pocket power amp

gpw5150

31 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Ask yourself if you really think a Chinese, budget made hi-fi amp with phono connectors is A) going to put out 1000w RMS and B) sound as good as your Crown.  :)  

Interesting point.  The Crown is good.....and Chinese made.  I looked at Icepower and Hypex basic amps - pcb + psu , used to power Aguilar and high end equipment, Chinese made and similar specs TBH and I could build one in a case for ~£200.

That Devine will not have the sheer oomph of a Crown, and will turn out a lot less power overall. Given that I normally run amps at 9 o'clock, turning it up to 12 isn't a major problem.

Obviously a lot depends on the cab you're planning to use. Something like a Barefaced would be ideal. An Ampeg 810 not so much ...

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I have the Sumo 1000, tiny and very good for what it is... not as good as a top end Crown, QSC or Matrix but really very good considering the size and what I paid.

I paid £50 for the Crown.....TBH, having a hard time parting with £200+ when the crown is fine aside the weight.

11 minutes ago, gpw5150 said:

I paid £50 for the Crown.....TBH, having a hard time parting with £200+ when the crown is fine aside the weight.

And rightly so, if your back can take it why not! I still lug a heavy AB class Mesa around to many gigs. Especially if it costs 50 quid.