Why become a member? ×

Hobbyist from Belfast

damian.duffy

Hi all!

I played in a punk band many, many years ago. After meeting some old friends I bought  an Ibanez last year and despite car trouble eating and savings this year I've moved on to a Fender P bass

I'm loving playing along to music in my man cave. Still old punk stuff - especially The Clash cos I thought Paul Simonon was so cool back in the day, with plenty of other tunes thrown in for fun.

I really feel that I'm learning more, now that I'm not 15 and just wanting to make everything louder and faster 

My wife has even said she'll get me a new amp for Xmas 😃  Within reason of course. Unfortunately the cost of couriers makes second hand less of an option, so thinking about a Hartke hd75, or maybe an Ampeg of some flavour. 

Oh. Still don't know what GAS means. Or frfr. Or NAD. 

I'm also enjoying lurking on here 🙂

Damian

• Like 1

Good afternoon, Damian , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

GAS..? 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome

FRFR..? 'Full Range, Flat Response' cabs, usually powered, often used as PA for FOH (Front Of House...)

NAD..? 'New Amp Day', when one's new toy arrives, as you may shortly find out. A short appreciation posting is mandatory, even if only a brief 'Yay..!'

Hope this helps. B|

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good afternoon, Damian , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

GAS..? 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome

FRFR..? 'Full Range, Flat Response' cabs, usually powered, often used as PA for FOH (Front Of House...)

NAD..? 'New Amp Day', when one's new toy arrives, as you may shortly find out. A short appreciation posting is mandatory, even if only a brief 'Yay..!'

Hope this helps. B|

See, I'm learning stuff already!  Not how to play the bass better but certainly how to feel better about wanting new gear that I know I don't need

3 hours ago, machinehead said:

Welcome Damian,

If you want to buy used amp gear you should check here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bassplayersni/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bassistirelandclassifieds/

And our local Gumtree too.

Frank.

Thanks all 🙂

Handy links Frank!  There's an Ashdown electric Blue 180 on there.  Would love to get something like that but then my neighbours would hate me..

On 27/11/2018 at 13:55, damian.duffy said:

I'm loving playing along to music in my man cave. Still old punk stuff - especially The Clash cos I thought Paul Simonon was so cool back in the day, with plenty of other tunes thrown in for fun.

Welcome to Basschat!  Hope you're enjoying it thus far.  

I saw you were a Clash fan, if you like punk 6 Music radio have been promoting the IDLES a lot over the last week.  For some reason they reminded me a lot of a modern day Clash (though upon re-listening to the Clash I'm not sure why).  I'm not a massive punk fan in general but there was something about them I really liked.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1