Why become a member? ×

Loose magnet on ceramic pickup - how to fix?

mcnach

I've just bought an old used DiMarzio Model P pickup.

One of the two magnets in each pickup appears to be loose. They slot right in nicely and I don't see it as a big issue, but I'd like to secure them in place as I fear output could get erratic if the bass is shaken about and the magnets move.

What's the best way to do this? I imagine you just glue them in place. Any particular type of glue? Anything to watch out for?

In the image below I've removed one of the magnets to illustrate it. On the top pickup, the bottom magnet can also be removed.

20181126_233945.jpg?dl=1

Doesn´t look like silicone to me, looks like hot glue (the craft type). That should be the way i would fix it, just two bits of hot glue on each top of the magnet to secure it to he existing glue. Simple and easy to remove in the future, if needed.

Another option is to use contact glue to secure the magnets directly to the pickup housing in the bottom. Again, a secure way to fix it and not so difficult to remove if needed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Doesn´t look like silicone to me, looks like hot glue (the craft type). That should be the way i would fix it, just two bits of hot glue on each top of the magnet to secure it to he existing glue. Simple and easy to remove in the future, if needed.

Another option is to use contact glue to secure the magnets directly to the pickup housing in the bottom. Again, a secure way to fix it and not so difficult to remove if needed.

My girlfriend has just bought a hot glue gun, so this looks like the way to go :) Thank you!

• Like 1