Why become a member? ×

Neck conundrum....

donslow

Hi all, after some much needed advice here

ex guitarist turned bass player who picked up bass about 10 years ago, I learnt to play the bass on Ibanez sr800 and sr500 basses, decided that I wanted a precision instead, sold ibanezes and bought a highway one precision, 

this is and has been my only bass now for 7 or 8 years of regular use

Having small hands, im still struggling with the size of the neck, I find it a stretch between frets, I’m still stumbling between strings due to the thickness and width of it and fatigue, I still get real bad left arm/hand fatigue (despite changing the position/height of the bass more times than I care to count) so in a move I know I’ll regret, I’ve put the neck up for sale / swap....

I THINK I’m looking for a jazz neck (precision lyte neck is something someone mentioned to me also) as I hear they are nicer on small hands, aesthetically, I’d like to keep the fender look so is there something that anyone can recommend I should be looking at

any advice greatly appreciated

Edited by donslow

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I had considered a short scale but I’m reluctant to as the precision I have is my first and only fender and it’s the one I’ve cut my teeth on as a bassist so to speak, the body is starting to get marks, scratches and dings on it that kinda make it mine so would ideally like to keep it hence considering just the neck change

would a short scale neck work? How short a scale should I be looking at? Would a typical precision short scale neck have the same widths and thicknesses?!

1 hour ago, donslow said:

would a short scale neck work? 

No, not without moving the bridge as well, and then the PUPs are slightly out of the spot that makes a Precision sound like a Precision. I have small hands and have always found Precision necks - the fatter the better - easier than Jazz necks, on which I tire very quickly. Go figure?

Edited by Beedster

Have you tried playing it at a different height (usually higher/shorter strap), it makes a huge difference. I played a gig with my bass only a few inches lower than normal (strap hole tore), and by midway through the set was struggling to hold even quite easy lines together. 

Edited by Beedster

8 hours ago, Beedster said:

Have you tried playing it at a different height (usually higher/shorter strap), it makes a huge difference. I played a gig with my bass only a few inches lower than normal (strap hole tore), and by midway through the set was struggling to hold even quite easy lines together. 

I have unfortunately, all the way up to all the way down, still struggle, just can’t work it out

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Just stick a jazz neck on it then, maybe that would help you.

I never could get on with P basses, the necks are awful.

This is mostly what I’m wondering, do jazz necks hold that much of a difference?! Are there any other similar necks that would be worth considering that you know of?!

35 minutes ago, donslow said:

This is mostly what I’m wondering, do jazz necks hold that much of a difference?! Are there any other similar necks that would be worth considering that you know of?!

Jazz necks are quite different. Especially some of the thinner ones. I don't play 4s any more but if I did I would have no problem playing a jazz whereas a P would be less comfortable.

There are a world of other necks, but if you want to stick with the P body,  then your choices are limited to P or J necks really (well, fender necks but that is about your choice).

10 hours ago, donslow said:

Jazz necks tend to be a lot slimmer and are a fairly straightforward swap. There are several aftermarket necks designed as a straight swap. If it's not designed specifically for a P or J, you'll need to check quite a few measurements 

There again you could buy something like my Squier P-Bass Special and get the jazz neck with precision body as standard. There are several Fender/Squier editions with that combination