Why become a member? ×

Wireless System for Large Venue

Linus27

I am currently using a Line 6 Relay G30 Digital Wireless Guitar System and as a whole, it has been pretty good and reliable for generally the smaller club type venue's I have played at. However, I am finding that the range is not great and does occasionally lose signal if I go anything like 15 - 20ft away.

Next year, I am penciled in to play at the O2 Arena and so I am looking at something that is going to give me much better range and signal. No idea what the pro's use on large venues but any advice appreciated.

On 26/11/2018 at 09:46, Linus27 said:

I am currently using a Line 6 Relay G30 Digital Wireless Guitar System and as a whole, it has been pretty good and reliable for generally the smaller club type venue's I have played at. However, I am finding that the range is not great and does occasionally lose signal if I go anything like 15 - 20ft away.

Next year, I am penciled in to play at the O2 Arena and so I am looking at something that is going to give me much better range and signal. No idea what the pro's use on large venues but any advice appreciated.

You are looking at the likes of Shure ULXD and Axient for digital pro use - and certainly not something on the 2.4Ghz or channel 70 channels. You are realistically looking over £1k+ channel.

If you are playing a big event, hired sound won't appreciate you turning up with your own RF devices... it disrupts their RF co-ordination and makes their life more difficult. If you must have wireless at such an event, talk with the sound company in advance so that they can factor in a transmitter and receiver from their inventory for you...

Edited by EBS_freak

• 2 weeks later...

At the bare minimum, I'd be looking at Sennheiser G3. You should be looking at a Channel 38 (Sennheiser GB band, 606-648) unit, although these come with the obligation to buy an annual license from OFCOM for about £75/year. 

If you have a tour manager or FOH engineer who is advancing the show (and for a show of that scale, someone should be advancing it properly - happy to chat about this if it's not something you're familiar with) you can ask them to put your wireless requirements in to the production rider and see if it can be supplied by the visiting production company. If you are carrying your own, include details of it in your production advance so that the person from the sound company doing the RF co-ordination can include it in their frequency plan. 

Edited by mike257
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having had a drop out problems and having spent a little bit of time researching possible causes, here is my good advice for Line 6 G30 use to help prevent drop outs 

·      Turn the transmitter off: Check the individual LED’s channels on the receiver. The more red bars that show on any channel, then avoid that channel. The less red bars the better the channel reception is

·      Use the designated independent power for the receiver. It’s power hungry and your board pedal may be at its top end if you are running a small number of pedals

·      RF1 is less affected with Wi-Fi (Search changing it on YouTube, its dead easy to do)

·      Use a rubber band on the battery door. This ensures that the door is shut tight on the batteries

·      Turn off your phones Wi-Fi or run in Aircraft mode for the show

If the G30 is like the G50, there are two power modes on the transmitter - my G50 has been somewhat unreliable at any distance but I've realised it was on the low power setting. I have yet to try it at the high power setting. I've got a Smooth Hound which has proven reliable wandering round the average pub.