Why become a member? ×

NOW TRADED. Dean Pace 5 - trade option added
£250

Paul S

Bought this on here to try, lived with it for a while and decided it is not for me.

This is not really trying to be a double bass - it is essentially an unlined fretless bass with no body mounted on a stand so that it can be played upright.  It is 34" scale length, so takes regular long scale bass strings.  Neck is just 45mm wide at the nut, string spacing at the bridge 17mm.  Piezo pickups are mounted in the saddles of the bridge, one volume knob - treble and bass can be adjusted via trim pots on the back.  18V preamp takes 2 x pp9s.  The neck is fairly flat, becoming slightly more curved at the bottom, and this is another way in which it differs from the more double bass-like EUBs.  Currently strung with Roto Trubass which needed a bit of fettling to get to work - wrapping the copper tape around the contact point with the saddles sorted the issue although I actually have no idea quite why.  The stand is extremely sturdy and the ingenious adjustable ball-joint means it can be positioned any way you care to.  It comes off the stand, which itself breaks down into 2 sections, and all fits into a neat carry case.  When packed it weighs around 9.5kg and the case is 120cm long.  Much easier to move around then, say, a Stagg EUB.

The Dean Pace - not that common in 5 string - is a lot of fun, very much its own thing.  It is not trying to give any kind of realistic double bass experience although strung with the Trubass strings it does sound quite double bass-y.  The unlined fretboard, side dots give help with intonation, is lovely and there is mwahh a plenty to be had.  If you change to metal strings this increases almost exponentially!   It is eye-catching and, because of the normal scale length, perhaps a cheap 'half-way house' introduction to playing EUB.

I'd say the condition is pretty good - a few scuffs and scrapes here and there but not abused.

Looking for £250 collected from southeast Essex.  I'd like people to 'try before you buy' if at all possible as this is such an unusual thing.  Failing that I could meet half way to hand over or deliver with 50 miles for fuel.  If all else fails I could courier it, mainland UK only, for around £25.

dp1.jpg

dp2.jpg

dp3.jpg

dp4.jpg

dp5.jpg

dp6.jpg

dp7.jpg

dp8.jpg

Edited by Paul S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...