Why become a member? ×

Backline watts (Orange content)

oldslapper

So was informed that promoter was providing backline for gig this Friday just gone. OK so no surprises there, but brought LMii 500 head & 2x10 cab just in case.

I play very straightforward (boring?) P basses, with no pedals, so plug in and play.

Found, to my surprise, an Orange Crush 100 combo waiting for me & support bands to use. It was DI'd to desk along with mic'd

Now this thing had to "compete" with 2 (loud) electric guitars, drums, keys, 3 backing vocalists & mandolin. I don't have bass through monitors, just lead singer's guitar & vox, but thought I would have to on this occasion.

I was going to swap it out for my rig for guaranteed "heft", but thought "I'll give it a go". 

I was proven very wrong! This thing was immense, with loads of headroom. Held it's own on stage, without dialing in too much on the master volume. Very impressive tone and a bit of grit on hand. 

Made me think about the wattage/power needed for reasonable on stage volume. My LMii very rarely goes above 3 on master. 

Anyway, hats off to the Crush combo, you served me well and I love the colour!!

IMG_20181123_144353_008.jpg

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I used one of these a couple of months ago and similarly found it to be plenty loud enough for on-stage volume in a pub.

To be fair there were only 250 punters in a venue supposed to take a little less than that, and I'm sure it would struggle in a larger setting, but I was impressed nonetheless. 

Played a small festival tent with one of these and unfortunately couldn't hear myself at all. Just myself, drummer and a guitar player (30w Marshall valvestate 1x12.) 

Possible that it was faulty I guess, but I dimed the thing and only received a fart. Unfit for purpose in that instance. Festival was sponsored by Orange that year and all. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Blimey! Not a great advert.

Yep, the medium stages sported the 500w terror bass and the main stage had the ad200b aloft the matching 8x10 all of which sounded great. I've owned the ad200b which was great for the period that I had it and I've been semi interested in getting a terror bass so that experience by no means put me off Orange. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2018 at 13:50, oldslapper said:

So was informed that promoter was providing backline for gig this Friday just gone. OK so no surprises there, but brought LMii 500 head & 2x10 cab just in case.

I play very straightforward (boring?) P basses, with no pedals, so plug in and play.

Found, to my surprise, an Orange Crush 100 combo waiting for me & support bands to use. It was DI'd to desk along with mic'd

Now this thing had to "compete" with 2 (loud) electric guitars, drums, keys, 3 backing vocalists & mandolin. I don't have bass through monitors, just lead singer's guitar & vox, but thought I would have to on this occasion.

I was going to swap it out for my rig for guaranteed "heft", but thought "I'll give it a go". 

I was proven very wrong! This thing was immense, with loads of headroom. Held it's own on stage, without dialing in too much on the master volume. Very impressive tone and a bit of grit on hand. 

Made me think about the wattage/power needed for reasonable on stage volume. My LMii very rarely goes above 3 on master. 

Anyway, hats off to the Crush combo, you served me well and I love the colour!!

IMG_20181123_144353_008.jpg

I have an orange Crush 100 for my home noodling and practice and they are a fantastic combo. I have a different orange rig for live. I was contemplating selling it. I have wondered whether  the crush would be man enough for small pub gigs etc, so it was nice to see your thread 😊

Edited by CyberBass
  • Like 1