Why become a member? ×

too sensitive or not

stef030

so I play a covers band,

when we chat about new material the guitarist works out everyones part,

and recently even down to the sound and effects that are used,

after 47 years of playing it has  started to get me down so it is becoming a bind,

but we will change a song to accommodate a guitar solo or two,but he wants me to stick to script 

and any little accents are now frowned upon,

oh dear 

I think I know the answer

• Sad 3

I think the first thing to do is to tell the guitarist you're going to use your own judgement from now on when it comes to how the bass sounds, and let them pull faces. If they can't live with it then it's time to consider options.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 5

The lead guitarist probably thinks that his is  an important , integral part of the song...….he is wrong. I played in a band where the lead guitarist left and we just carried on playing gigs.

We even carried on covering All Right Now...with no  lead break. Nobody ever made any comment ...they just all sang along with the chorus as usual and we continued to get re-booked.

In short…..ignore him.😜

• Like 5

Running a band that way is, in some circumstances, a legitimate and normal one.

For example, orchestras via the conductor. It probably happens in brass bands too.

Is the band successful and does it sound good? If so, you could say that he's 'right'.

In which case, you've got to decide whether the working methods suit you and act accordingly.

Alternatively, if the band is poo-pants - well, what are you doing still being there?

If it is a tribute band, then yes, it does make sense, or if it is a named band leader, such as you are the backing band for someone else.

Not a band I could be in though but probably as well as they wouldn't want me!

But yes, as you say, you know the answer, you are just talking to yourself out loud :D

• Like 1

I am happy if someone wants to ask me to try some over drive or chorus, or if they say hmmm that isn't quite right. I usually will try what they ask or I already know I've not got it nailed. However, if this was constant and they wanted to take my personality out of the bass playing they can get a sequencer or whatever and play samples from the record, I'd be off like a shot. I don't play carbon copies, I play my interpretation. I'm not in a tribute band, I'm in a band that plays its own interpretation of classic songs. That's my viewpoint. If you feel this guy is stamping out your personality, such as the accents you throw in, hand him your bass and ask him to demo... Then watch him make a hash of it. I'm sure there are many other bands that would want an accomplished bassist who can do their own thing without having to instruct them, you hold the power here!

Are you a covers band that plays for a good time or one that prides itself on authenticity?

if the guitarist demands you play the parts as written, that’s fair enough. Worked for Steeley Dan. 

If he’s asking you to play his interpretation then that’s obviousoy different.

I’d say it’s odd. 

I’m in an originals band - we are effectively a backing band for an original singer songwriter - he even does the same material solo on his own. 

For bass duties I’m given a full free range - I decide what to play, when to play it, what kit to play it through and whether it fits or not. There’s the occasional song where he will say “I’m thinking drums and bass come in on V2” or “Maybe keep the bass going through that quieter section for a bit of dynamic variance?” But that’s it. 

It means we all have a shared responsibility to the sound overall - we have skin in the game. If we write well and it works we feel collectively responsible - and visa versa. Actually makes me want to turn up and play.

• Like 2

If you're playing in the band for fun, and it's stopped being fun, it's time to leave in my opinion. Life's too short. That's not to say you should bolt after one or two  bad gigs or rehersals, but if it's become the norm, what are you getting out of it?

If the band forms a significant part of your income, then that's a bit different...

• Like 3

Why is quitting the first advice that is always given in these threads.

Is this guy the band leader? If he isn't then nicely tell him to stick it. If it is his band then the rules are different. I'd still try to negotiate the end of this micro managing, but either way you've got to come up with interesting parts that show you can be trusted to think for yourself. Quitting should only ever be a last resort and be way down the list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Is this guy the band leader? If he isn't then nicely tell him to stick it. If it is his band then the rules are different. I'd still try to negotiate the end of this micro managing, but either way you've got to come up with interesting parts that show you can be trusted to think for yourself. Quitting should only ever be a last resort and be way down the list.

I have to agree with this. We all know how soul destroying it can be to find a new band that everyone gets along and play the music we enjoy playing. And at the end of the day why would you have to be the one that had to leave? it's not you that is dictating what everyone should be playing.

I nearly left my current band a couple of years ago when the drummer decided to have a mid-life crisis and fall out with everyone. We had been friends for 20 years and I know that I will never speak to him again after the way he behaved but I spoke with the other guys in the band and they all agreed that he had become more of a knob than he always had been but had tolerated him for.

When we eventually got our replacement we realised that he wasn't that good after all and we went back to having a good time playing again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I have to agree with this. We all know how soul destroying it can be to find a new band that everyone gets along and play the music we enjoy playing. And at the end of the day why would you have to be the one that had to leave? it's not you that is dictating what everyone should be playing.

I nearly left my current band a couple of years ago when the drummer decided to have a mid-life crisis and fall out with everyone. We had been friends for 20 years and I know that I will never speak to him again after the way he behaved but I spoke with the other guys in the band and they all agreed that he had become more of a knob than he always had been but had tolerated him for.

When we eventually got our replacement we realised that he wasn't that good after all and we went back to having a good time playing again

26 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The trouble is that it can get very political and messy, and it can drag on for ages with beaching and rumblings that can suck the life out of everything you are trying to do. 

If you are not the type to to want to go through this, then then leaving is a good option , if you are the type to mainly go with the flow then, fitting in with a new crew should work out ok .

sometimes a resignation can actually be a catalyst for change, as it makes the situation blindingly obvious and shows a seriousness of intention that can’t be ignored 

4 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

The trouble is that it can get very political and messy, and it can drag on for ages with beaching and rumblings that can suck the life out of everything you are trying to do. 

If you are not the type to to want to go through this, then then leaving is a good option , if you are the type to mainly go with the flow then, fitting in with a new crew should work out ok .

sometimes a resignation can actually be a catalyst for change, as it makes the situation blindingly obvious and shows a seriousness of intention that can’t be ignored 

I would still talk it through as a first option. If that doesn't get anywhere then you can decide whether or not to leave. Alternatively you could try to drive your guitarist mad by replacing the strings in his packet of spares with cooked spaghetti or adjusting his guitar tuner up or down from concert pitch

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2

Its impossible to tell from the original post. I also notice the original poster hasn't come back to clarify anything - so we're still guessing. There could be 3 scenarios here:

1. The guitarist is also the bandleader - if so then he has the final say on things, and its up to you if you can cope with this or need to "express your freedom" possibly elsewhere.
2. The guitarist isn't the bandleader but is right anyway - maybe your "little accents" are totally inappropriate......we don't know!!
3. The guitarist isn't the bandleader but isn't right - in which case its definitely worth fighting your corner - but in a professional and diplomatic manner.

thankyou all for the comments,

so let me explain further,

no he is not the band leader or even the longest member,

but he does like to analize the smallest detail,

we are a pub covers band,

a few weeks ago he put forward a song to add to the set list,afier a discussion with the band 

we all said it would not go with what we do although we all liked the song it is just not us,

he spat the dummy out

so this week we started rehearsing a suggestion from the drummer,it was all going ok until he started explaining the 

chord sequence in the middle eight which we had all played through a couple of times and all was well,

until he said I think you should continue that line for the solo,

when I said hold on the keyboard player was trying to explain something to us all,he flipped big time

to which I said there is no solo in this song and I thought we all agreed to play this as is because its so popular,

yeh yeh but there is space for a solo,

oh and I don't think we need that chorus on,

but he did not realize the threshold was turned off it was only showing the red light but the effect was off,

I knew he would say some thing if he thought it was on,the placebo effect and it worked,

so when we finished the rehearsal I was feeling angry,fustrated and getting ready for a argument 

but I left and stewed for a couple of days,

I have had no contact with anyone,so will go to the rehearsal on wed and see what decision I will make.

dependant on the result of a chat,

11 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Is the band, effectively, "leaderless"?

no we discuss and chat about what we are doing,

but the guitarist wants to perhaps control is too strong but lead us in a rockier vein 

which he has been told we do not want to go,but he persists

also whilst I realise there are two sides to every story,

I have been as honest and realistic  as I can and my recollection of events are spot on,

further to say I have found writing this a cathartic experience so thank you all

Edited by stef030
  • Like 1