Why become a member? ×

Big stars, with their old guitars...

NancyJohnson

While not strictly bass related, I was just reading a short piece about Joe Strummer's Fender Telecaster; 1966, black over grey primer over sunburst.  He used it pre-Clash through to the last gig he played prior to his death. 

My wife remarked (while I was regaling her with the information), that I would never have kept anything for that long and just stuck with it, because betterment of gear is in my nature (viz. GAS) and I see little gain in vintage kit.  Aside from Brian May, I really struggled at that point to come up with more than one or two people (see below) who've used the same instrument night in, night out, for pretty much their entire (long) career.  I wasn't even certain that the Hofner Macca plays once in a while is from his time with the Beatles.

Joan Jett (the white Gibson Melody Maker):

d9529b3d565eafe664645e8db2e7cbfc.jpg image.png.1f18711f55b7926a70b894112dbde8ee.png

Francis Rossi (the Telecaster with the hole in it),

image.thumb.png.0c5df831292cc3e4297a2cd4ab47f059.pngimage.png.9f089eb6754ea0199f4175ac67212a06.png

Anyone care to add?  Not people who just play Jazz basses (ie Geddy Lee)...anyone who is still using the same gear now as they did 40/50 years ago.

I'm also pretty sure that Steve Harris's (Iron Maiden) P bass now is the same one he's used since the early 1980s. 

The one that's currently West Ham coloured is the same one that used to be the metallic blue sparkle/mirror pickguard one from around Live After Death tour in 1984/5, which itself was a refin of the white one with black pickguard he used from around Number of the Beast onwards. 

I might be wrong tho. It does happen. 

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Jake Burns of Stiff Little Fingers has used the same ESP Tele style guitar since the early 90s, and I believe his backup guitar is the same Yamaha SG that he used in SLF before that.

ESP have recently built Jake two new guitars as he has had to retire the White Donald Duck stickered ESP, he does still have a green SG2000 in the back up rack for gigs but I have not seen him need it in many years.

stiff_12-e1520850737126.jpg

Edited by Roger2611
To add a photo
  • Like 1