Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Hey all,

New HX Effects owner here, having great fun with it!

Question though - how are you all powering yours? I note is has a thirsty current consumption and most staked multi-PSUs don’t get close. I was hoping to power this (min 2A) and my G30 (150mA absolute max) from one supply - tried daisy chaining from the one supplied with the HX but it’s hella noisy… any other ideas or do I need to suck it up that I’ll need two PSUs?

18 minutes ago, Merton said:

Hey all,

New HX Effects owner here, having great fun with it!

Question though - how are you all powering yours? I note is has a thirsty current consumption and most staked multi-PSUs don’t get close. I was hoping to power this (min 2A) and my G30 (150mA absolute max) from one supply - tried daisy chaining from the one supplied with the HX but it’s hella noisy… any other ideas or do I need to suck it up that I’ll need two PSUs?

I use a Cioks DC7 which is lightweight and pedalboard mountable :)

4 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I use a Cioks DC7 which is lightweight and pedalboard mountable :)

Interesting - the specs for that seem to state a max 660mA supply per socket… yet Line 6 say the HX Effects needs a 3A supply… I take it you’ve never had a problem? EDIT - or do you use a current doubler or something across two or more outputs?

Edited by Merton

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Interesting - the specs for that seem to state a max 660mA supply per socket… yet Line 6 say the HX Effects needs a 3A supply… I take it you’ve never had a problem? EDIT - or do you use a current doubler or something across two or more outputs?

Yes, Cioks have a doubler cable although it is a few quid extra!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Merton said:

Nice one cheers - so two 660mA sockets are doing the job for you then? Good to know - don’t want to fry a PSU haha :)

I'm using the Stomp but AFAIK the current draw is the same.  A quick Google says that the Effects needs 1300mah - does this tally with the manual?

8 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I'm using the Stomp but AFAIK the current draw is the same.  A quick Google says that the Effects needs 1300mah - does this tally with the manual?

The manual is stinky poo 😂

The Effects is labelled up as 3A and I’ve googled it and come up with various different answers but most of which suggest needing 2A, and some which suggest the Stomp is less power hungry. All a bit confusing hence asking 🙂

Thanks for your help - certainly making me think there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Might phone Andertons tomorrow and see what they reckon… 

24 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Cheers - that’s the Stomp rather than Effects and I’ve convinced myself I read somewhere that the Stomp is less power hungry 😅

This thread suggests I need 2A for start up…:

https://line6.com/support/topic/37195-hx-effects-what-is-the-maximum-power-draw/

edit- more useful info from Line6 for anyone who’s interested:

https://line6.com/support/topic/32249-helix-hx-power-supply-woes/

Edited by Merton

18 hours ago, Merton said:

Cheers - that’s the Stomp rather than Effects and I’ve convinced myself I read somewhere that the Stomp is less power hungry 😅

This thread suggests I need 2A for start up…:

https://line6.com/support/topic/37195-hx-effects-what-is-the-maximum-power-draw/

edit- more useful info from Line6 for anyone who’s interested:

https://line6.com/support/topic/32249-helix-hx-power-supply-woes/

Also there's this:

I found that a dirt cheap Kokko power supply would also do the job. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154867350921 - can't cope with a Raspberry Pi 4 powered soft synth as well, though.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Has anyone got a decent OC-2 style patch sound? 

I use an mxr octaver with the hx stomp because anologue octave is my most important effect, but sticking in the box I reckon you will have a lot of success going for the legacy octave into the teemah drive with bass cut on like 0.1 or 0.2 and then a parametric eq to bring out sub frequencies and cut out high end.

Edited by Stingray64
  • Like 1

I also kept a dedicated octave pedal on the board as I found the octave in the Stomp to be lacking. However I didn't do much experimenting, as I had the Octamizer there already and decided it was easier to use that than hunt through every setting in the Stomp to try and find something as good as what I already had 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are the cab sims doing? 
All on factory default mic/distance and other settings... obviously they are based around some kind of impulse response and time based element that I'm not gathering here... 
White noise into reaper.... 

Ampeg B15
1833713146_1x15AmpegB15.thumb.jpg.f4c0d4678a87025edab8b336669b5794.jpg

1x18 Woody blue

1940971363_1x18woodyblue.thumb.jpg.cd61b561c43acb1c5c4356de4e215279.jpg

8x10 SVT 

1736060571_8x10ampegSVTE.thumb.jpg.6fa63205153040e43aaa2d16c38b3814.jpg

6x10 calipower

900238777_6x10Calipower.thumb.jpg.d52a5f59447aa15e5a75af3f5d55150d.jpg

2x15 brute

67642949_2x15brute.thumb.jpg.b8b8c55165b9b625ae526a613822d708.jpg

Now this is interesting 
Ampeg 4x10 HLF with the 421 dyn mic.... 

514725673_4x10AmpegHLF-421dyn.thumb.jpg.bc0234eb15635ce73c56519d14f1d1b9.jpg

same cab with the 4038 ribbon mic.... bit odd

1582060697_4x10AmpegHLF-4038rib.thumb.jpg.fa1f4668f44d8c2903074e73dfc9185f.jpg

• Like 3

oh and I also looked at some IR's through the same setup... my one thought about the differences between the cab models of a SVT 8x10 vs the IRs of an SVT8X10. - the shape of the eq curve for the cab are the same, and the top end and bottom end roll offs are similar....  but the peaks and dips in the frequency aren't as extreme - it's a less extreme flavour of the cab... again that's without being able to see the time based element of the models/IR

• Like 1