Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

NEED HELP - I cant work out how to do this.

On my stomp, if you want to use it on stomp mode you've got the option to select a parameter within a block, for example an amp. I can then assign it two a footswitch, but when i press the footswitch it switches between 0 and 100%.  Is there a way (surely there is) that I can set it so that when its off its at a certain %, say 20%, and then switched on it goes to 40%? Basically I want to us an amp drive channel as a boost. Is this possible? I cannot work out how to do it.

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

On my stomp, if you want to use it on stomp mode you've got the option to select a parameter within a block, for example an amp. I can then assign it two a footswitch, but when i press the footswitch it switches between 0 and 100%.  Is there a way (surely there is) that I can set it so that when its off its at a certain %, say 20%, and then switched on it goes to 40%? Basically I want to us an amp drive channel as a boost. Is this possible? I cannot work out how to do it.

Ye, go into the parameter edit mode, select the parameter and the footswitch thats controlling the parameter, then scroll once to the right and you get options for on and off values.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 16:22, prowla said:

So, I've had a bit more of a play with it and my impression is that the effects are pretty good for accentuating parts of a song (eg. a solo with a spot of chorus) and the tracking for the octave effects is spot-on.

However, the overall sound with no effects on loses something; I'm connecting it via a GigRig Quartermaster looper switch and switching it in is noticeable.

Based on that, I wouldn't use it as a single fly-rig preamp unit.

I also made a separate two-switch box and configured that; I spent a while wondering why only switch FS5 would work, but then I found that I'd set the option to say FS4 is patch up, but I also had to set another option to configure it as a switch rather than an expression pedal.

Are you sure you didn't just have it set to be receiving line level input meaning it would be quieter when engaged and therefore sound weaker? I've personally never noticed it affecting my sound other than volume.

8 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

Are you sure you didn't just have it set to be receiving line level input meaning it would be quieter when engaged and therefore sound weaker? I've personally never noticed it affecting my sound other than volume.

I'll check that out - thanks for the idea.

9 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

Ye, go into the parameter edit mode, select the parameter and the footswitch thats controlling the parameter, then scroll once to the right and you get options for on and off values.

Cheers! Got it! Couldn't seem to do it via the pc software but works perfectly in unit itself! 

12 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

depending on your needs the other way to approach it would be with snapshots... 

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

depending on your needs the other way to approach it would be with snapshots... 

Yep, which is how I use it on bass, but with guitar I was trying to use it more as individual pedals. I prefer a drive boost on the amp though over adding an extra distortion block. This works a treat! 

Cheers 

On 23/02/2022 at 22:27, Stingray64 said:

I checked - all set to Instrument.

4 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

Well then I'm gonna have to do some investigating for myself, hopefully it's just something to do with global eq or default gain that can be fixed with tweaking!

Thanks - I'd intended to have a bit of a session over the weekend with it, but a work job overran into the weekend plus my son's car needs a bit of TLC, so it looks like it's being deferred to next weekend instead.

Wonder if any of you kind people can help with a phasing issue when using send/return blocks. When I put in a send/return block with external effects on it I get this horrible nasally, boxy phasing sound. It seems to be a problem that others have had and written about on other forums but no workaround is posted. When the send/return block is disabled sound is fine. Enabling them brings it back. I've tried different mix levels on the externals and the blocks but no difference. Tried instrument and line settings in globals. No change. Bit stumped so has anyone else experienced this and found a way round it?

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Are you blending that signal with one that never leaves the helix? Makes me wonder in the delay from the da/ad is causing the phasing. 

All the signals are leaving the Helix that's the problem. It's somewhere in the send/returns as there is a very slight delay in the signal when those blocks are engaged. Bypassing the send/return blocks leaves the signal nice and clear, what I would call normal. Even with all the external pedals switched off but with the send/returns engaged there is this very slight delay. Very strange.

7 hours ago, BassBus said:

All the signals are leaving the Helix that's the problem. It's somewhere in the send/returns as there is a very slight delay in the signal when those blocks are engaged. Bypassing the send/return blocks leaves the signal nice and clear, what I would call normal. Even with all the external pedals switched off but with the send/returns engaged there is this very slight delay. Very strange.

What are the external effects? If you switch them out one by one does it change anything? Even off some maybe be buffered bypass. Also taking them out let’s you test the cables too…

Adding external effects can cause the return signal to be mixed back in slightly later than the original, hence the comb filtering/phasing that you're getting. Also, some effect pedals actually flip the phase of their output signal, which will cause issues in loops.

As said above, check your external effects one by one to find the culprit and remove it from the loop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ratman said:

Adding external effects can cause the return signal to be mixed back in slightly later than the original, hence the comb filtering/phasing that you're getting. Also, some effect pedals actually flip the phase of their output signal, which will cause issues in loops.

As said above, check your external effects one by one to find the culprit and remove it from the loop.

This^^

I think comb filtering tends to be more of an issue with digital fx in parallel and less so with analogue, which typically have lower latency, so that might assist in identifying the culprit. 

4 hours ago, ratman said:

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

This^^

I think comb filtering tends to be more of an issue with digital fx in parallel and less so with analogue, which typically have lower latency, so that might assist in identifying the culprit. 

Thanks for everyone's replies. The plot thickens. The problem has been on a new patch I've been trying in the Floor. I've gone back through some of my old patches made over the 5 years since I bought it and the strange thing is all the externals are fine in them. It must be a setup issue. I'll have to go through the older ones and compare setup with the new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2022 at 07:10, Skybone said:

Anyone got any recommendations/links to some decent IR cab models?

I have tried various IR's from different companies, but for now I am using IR's from Shift Line and Celestion Speakers. 

Shift Line make the Olympic Bass preamp that works with IR's and they have a free (or pay what you want) pack you can download here: https://shift-line.com/irpackbass. These IR's are quite good and easy to use. I like their EBS 4x10 as a universal cab and I also like their Sunn 2x15 variations. They have got Ampeg stuff in there as well. 

I really like the IR's by Celestion Speakers, in particular their Pulse series. They are not free, but it's only £11 for the whole pack and they sound really good. They have single mic mixes and also some multi-mic mixes as well. You can find it here: https://www.celestionplus.com/products/bass-responses-by-speaker/pulse10/. They are very punchy and have lots of lows, good with overdrive. 

I also have their BL10 IR's and they are good as well, but I felt they lack the low-end punch of the Pulse. If you have a 5-string or a low-end heavy bass, you might want the BL10 for clarity. 

You can start with Shift Line as it's free and then see if you need anything else, really. The problem with IR's is once you have more than 10, you end up always changing them and chasing the perfect sound 🙃

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 12:09, Al Krow said:

Came across this pedalboard recently - what particularly caught my eye is the additional two stomp switch box on the HX Stomp, not eating into PB space. Available from these guys: Pedalnetics

image.thumb.png.674eeb1d61dc6afc3e228f174273d4b7.png

I haven't been on here in so long, I don't even remember my old non-business account details; Oh well, nothing like making a new one!

Happy to answer any questions! Right now I don't have shipping setup to UK only because I've never sold to there before.  If anyone is ever interested, shoot me a message on my website and I'll get it configured for your location.