Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Toby just pulling part of your Zoom B6 review comment onto this thread also, if I may:

40 minutes ago, TobyMunkling said:

I play in an 80's covers band. I have a Helix Stomp too and since the recent 3.15 update the synth sounds (which I thought were pretty bad and much worse than the Zoom before) are now much better, to the extent that in a live setting they are more than adequate to replace my Source Audio C4 and Boss SY-200, but probably not if recording, but let's face it, you'd probably use a full size or soft synth for that anyway..  The stomp case is metal, looks better imho, and is a third of the size of the Zoom [B6]

I totally agree that the Helix synth patches have sucked previously and have been easily bested by what I was getting on my £50 (used) Zoom B1-4.

A fair few of us on this thread play in covers bands that feature 80s tracks and if the 3.15 update is delivering synth sounds that are sufficiently usable to replace a SA C4 live, then that really does shift the dial.

From what I've read they are actually just reintroducing some legacy synth patches which they've had for years from their Pod series and could have ported years ago! Still better late, than never.

Line 6’s Helix 3.15 firmware update adds 11 new models plus 18 classic Pod Farm effects to the entire HX range | MusicRadar

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Toby just pulling part of your Zoom B6 review comment onto this thread also, if I may:

I totally agree that the Helix synth patches have sucked previously and have been easily bested by what I was getting on my £50 (used) Zoom B1-4.

A fair few of us on this thread play in covers bands that feature 80s tracks and if the 3.15 update is delivering synth sounds that are sufficiently usable to replace a SA C4 live, then that really does shift the dial.

From what I've read they are actually just reintroducing some legacy synth patches which they've had for years from their Pod series and could have ported years ago! Still better late, than never.

Line 6’s Helix 3.15 firmware update adds 11 new models plus 18 classic Pod Farm effects to the entire HX range | MusicRadar

Those are the ones.....very analogue Dx and Moog sounding. They're not as good as the C4, but close enough in a live mix.

On 09/02/2022 at 17:25, LukeFRC said:

I think the reason why they haven't really developed the bass cabs is that most people seem to move towards using IR. 

Bass amps though...

The XT live had: 

• Acoustic 360   - On Helix
  • Aguilar® DB750 - On Helix
  • Alembic F-2B - On Helix (Alembic is a fender preamp design so use the Fullerton Normal I think) 
  • Ampeg® B-15A - On Helix
  • Ampeg® SVT - On Helix
  • Eden Traveller WT-300 - Not On Helix
  • Fender® Bassman® Combo  -  Kinda on Helix, you've got two channels of a Bassman 
  • Fender® Bassman® Head  -  Kinda on Helix, you've got two channels of a Bassman 
  • Fender® Dual Showman®   - Not On Helix
  • Gallien Kruger 800RB - On Helix
  • Hiwatt® DR-103 - On Helix
  • Hiwatt® 200 DR - Not On Helix
  • Marshall® Major - Maybe - there's 4 different Marshall amps most with multiple channels
  • Marshall® Super Plexi - On Helix with two channels 
  • Mesa/Boogie® Bass 400+  - On Helix with 2 channels 
  • Polytone MiniBrute® - Not On Helix
  • Sunn® Coliseum - On Helix
  • SWR® SM-500 - Not On Helix
  • Versatone Pan-O-Flex  - Not On Helix
  • Vox® AC100 - AC15 and AC30 but no AC100 

• Line 6® Classic Jazz    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Brit Invader    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Super Thor    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Frankenstein    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Ebony Lux    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Doppelganger    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Sub Dub    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Tube Preamp    On helix like studio preamp
  • Bypass def possible

Plus the Helix has... .

• SVT bright channel, 
  • Mesa M9 carbine
  • Pearce BC1 - two channels and jumped
  • SVT-4

I would respectfully suggest that apart from something in the SWR/Eden type sound the Helix has more useful amp models for bass.... 

Being a SWR fan, I miss those, and the PodGo doesn't have the Sunn, which also is one of my faves. But hey, can't get everything... 

• Like 1

Can someone let me know how you configure the three little black knobs/buttons just below the display, please?

I tried using my lateral-thinking gene to come up with various plausible possibilities and even tried reading the manual and searching google, but nothing seemed to have the answer.

20 minutes ago, prowla said:

Can someone let me know how you configure the three little black knobs/buttons just below the display, please?

I tried using my lateral-thinking gene to come up with various plausible possibilities and even tried reading the manual and searching google, but nothing seemed to have the answer.

not sure about configure but if you use the <Page> arrows you can access further parameters depending on the amp/cab/effect type. Pressing the knob resets back to what the original value was (from memory) on each of the three displayed values. The manual or quick guide is worth a look but I’m not sure you can assign anything other than scroll through. 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

not sure about configure but if you use the <Page> arrows you can access further parameters depending on the amp/cab/effect type. Pressing the knob resets back to what the original value was (from memory) on each of the three displayed values. The manual or quick guide is worth a look but I’m not sure you can assign anything other than scroll through. 

Hmmm - I was meaning in the Editor (sorry I didn't make that clear!).

So I brought back the podXT live back, plugged it in the PC, printed some of my favourite patches, and then reapplied (when possible) the same to the PodGO. 

I have to say it's better than what I had been working on earlier. but not quite as good. 

I blame the EQ. The PodXt had some great parametric EQ going where you could choose any six frequencies and range. That's what I miss the most. I used the 10band EQ but some frequencies are not the same. 

I have to dig a bit as I think I saw a general low/HiPass that would be quite useful. 

Is there a BassChat page where the patches can be shared ? 

4 minutes ago, Henrythe8 said:

So I brought back the podXT live back, plugged it in the PC, printed some of my favourite patches, and then reapplied (when possible) the same to the PodGO. 

I have to say it's better than what I had been working on earlier. but not quite as good. 

I blame the EQ. The PodXt had some great parametric EQ going where you could choose any six frequencies and range. That's what I miss the most. I used the 10band EQ but some frequencies are not the same. 

I have to dig a bit as I think I saw a general low/HiPass that would be quite useful. 

I never used the PodXT Live, but looking at the manual it's only got a 4 band eq.  The helix is a lot more versatile IMHO. There's a lot of eq options.  The parametric may only be 3 band, but it also has low and high cuts, effectively making 5 adjustable frequencies. Not to mention the other eq blocks such as graphic, shelving and tilt etc. And you can use as many as you like within reason - you could fill up a preset with just multiple eq blocks.  And don't forget the global eq - this was one of the reasons I bough the helix - it's made compensating for room acoustics so much easier.

1 hour ago, Henrythe8 said:

You've got Global eq which is 3 band with LPF and HPF and presumably the same in a parametric eq block? If I needed 6 point parametric I would use two eq blocks next to one another. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You've got Global eq which is 3 band with LPF and HPF and presumably the same in a parametric eq block? If I needed 6 point parametric I would use two eq blocks next to one another. 

Although reading Henrythe8 comment again, I'm not sure if this is possible on the PodGo.  It's certainly the way I go about it on the helix.  Some of my patches have 3 or 4 eq blocks for different purposes.

On 14/02/2022 at 18:31, LukeFRC said:

out of interest - what are you doing with 6 bands of parametric Eq? 

I'm mainly dialling some "signature" tones from some players with what I gather from the interweb. So as each has a different set of EQ, I find it interesting to be able to choose each frequency and level. I don't "always" need 6 bands, but it's great to have options. 

• Like 1

So, I've had a bit more of a play with it and my impression is that the effects are pretty good for accentuating parts of a song (eg. a solo with a spot of chorus) and the tracking for the octave effects is spot-on.

However, the overall sound with no effects on loses something; I'm connecting it via a GigRig Quartermaster looper switch and switching it in is noticeable.

Based on that, I wouldn't use it as a single fly-rig preamp unit.

I also made a separate two-switch box and configured that; I spent a while wondering why only switch FS5 would work, but then I found that I'd set the option to say FS4 is patch up, but I also had to set another option to configure it as a switch rather than an expression pedal.