Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

34 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Just so many delays and reverbs now- and interestingly some synth type stuff in the legacy section

Yeah they’re fun for the soundscapes stuff and losing half an hour but I’ve dialled in some go to patches for my needs. It’ll be fun trying the Bassmaster out. 

Wonder how many of these new fx are going to be available on the Pod Go - all of them? 

Just persuaded our guitarist on a new project to replace his 12kg (!!) pedal board and case, which was taking his arm off on public transport, with a Pod Go - which we got from the FS on here. Daft fella had been thinking about getting a Kemper, which would have only cost 5 times as much, lol, but when he checked the reviews of the Pod Go and Helix Stomp found that a) that they sounded great and b) the Pod was good to Go for gigs with his amp & cab and covered 90% of what the Stomp could do, and he wasn't particularly fussed about the remaining 10%. All in, should be a very good result and am looking forward to hearing it in action over the next couple of weeks, albeit on guitar rather than bass. 

• Like 2

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches
32 minutes ago, Henrythe8 said:

Thanks. I just bought a PodGo and was pretty underwhelmed vs my (very old) BassPodXT LIve. I wish Line6 would redo an Helix Based Bass specific pedal. 

I'll browse through this thread in order to find some good ton,e and, I hope I'll be able to contribute. 

Did you find it underwhelming due to lack of bass specific effects? I guess it's fair that most bass players would prefer units that were bass focussed in the way that Zoom have done with their line up but, absent that, there do seem to be plenty fx on Helix geared to us bass players, so hopefully you'll find a fair few that you like / are "usable". 

Edited by Al Krow

21 minutes ago, Henrythe8 said:

Thanks. I just bought a PodGo and was pretty underwhelmed vs my (very old) BassPodXT LIve. I wish Line6 would redo an Helix Based Bass specific pedal. 

I'll browse through this thread in order to find some good ton,e and, I hope I'll be able to contribute. 

Someone will probably meantion it’s synth stuff lacks a bit, but helix is quite good for bass, lots of guitar stuff too but bass stuff is there.

ideally it would be nice to have one or two more bass amps on there, EBS HD , SWR or trace Elliot or something but apart from that I’m trying to think what it’s lacking.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Henrythe8 said:

IMO the bass amps and cab simulaltions are lacking. The BAssPodXTLive had numerous amps and cabs. I agree with @javi_bassistthe effects can be used for both. 

In all fairness I'm pretty sure that a guitar amp with a bass cab simulation is a completely valid choice. 🙂

I think the reason why they haven't really developed the bass cabs is that most people seem to move towards using IR. 

Bass amps though...

The XT live had: 

• Acoustic 360   - On Helix
  • Aguilar® DB750 - On Helix
  • Alembic F-2B - On Helix (Alembic is a fender preamp design so use the Fullerton Normal I think) 
  • Ampeg® B-15A - On Helix
  • Ampeg® SVT - On Helix
  • Eden Traveller WT-300 - Not On Helix
  • Fender® Bassman® Combo  -  Kinda on Helix, you've got two channels of a Bassman 
  • Fender® Bassman® Head  -  Kinda on Helix, you've got two channels of a Bassman 
  • Fender® Dual Showman®   - Not On Helix
  • Gallien Kruger 800RB - On Helix
  • Hiwatt® DR-103 - On Helix
  • Hiwatt® 200 DR - Not On Helix
  • Marshall® Major - Maybe - there's 4 different Marshall amps most with multiple channels
  • Marshall® Super Plexi - On Helix with two channels 
  • Mesa/Boogie® Bass 400+  - On Helix with 2 channels 
  • Polytone MiniBrute® - Not On Helix
  • Sunn® Coliseum - On Helix
  • SWR® SM-500 - Not On Helix
  • Versatone Pan-O-Flex  - Not On Helix
  • Vox® AC100 - AC15 and AC30 but no AC100 

• Line 6® Classic Jazz    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Brit Invader    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Super Thor    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Frankenstein    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Ebony Lux    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Doppelganger    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Sub Dub    Don't know what this is like so... 
  • Line 6® Tube Preamp    On helix like studio preamp
  • Bypass def possible

Plus the Helix has... .

• SVT bright channel, 
  • Mesa M9 carbine
  • Pearce BC1 - two channels and jumped
  • SVT-4

I would respectfully suggest that apart from something in the SWR/Eden type sound the Helix has more useful amp models for bass.... 
Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wonder how many of these new fx are going to be available on the Pod Go - all of them? 

Just persuaded our guitarist on a new project to replace his 12kg (!!) pedal board and case, which was taking his arm off on public transport, with a Pod Go - which we got from the FS on here. Daft fella had been thinking about getting a Kemper, which would have only cost 5 times as much, lol, but when he checked the reviews of the Pod Go and Helix Stomp found that a) that they sounded great and b) the Pod was good to Go for gigs with his amp & cab and covered 90% of what the Stomp could do, and he wasn't particularly fussed about the remaining 10%. All in, should be a very good result and am looking forward to hearing it in action over the next couple of weeks, albeit on guitar rather than bass. 

4 hours ago, Henrythe8 said:

I've owned & used the v2.0, XT (bean & Live), the HD500x, and now the POD Go, must admit, that although the POD Go is "limited" in the number of effects you can have, the quality surpasses the HD, and that was seriously good (if underrated). 

Although the XT had loads of amp & cab sims, I found the effects to be a bit lacking. OK, there weren't many dedicated bass amp & cab sims on the HD, even with the HD Bass pack, but they were really good (better than the XT's IMO), and the effects were good too. Nothing bass-specific, but all the ones I wanted worked well and sounded good.

I did find that the POD Go needed a lot more tweaking to find a good sound, over the XT & HD's "plug & play" approach, but the core sounds are there. With the limitations of the POD Go, there are a few little work-arounds that you need to figure out, such as I like a touch of reverb, but with the effects added, I didn't have a free block for a reverb... Work-around, use a high number in the "Early reflections" in the Cab settings. Another one is to definitely go through the "Mic" options, as some are underwhelming, but some sound superb.

Really pleased with the POD Go.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Has JBC called it a day or are you off experimenting in pastures new? I’ve started in an 80’s thing and I’m looking forward to some of the legacy synth stuff just to see if it’s useable although I’m hooking the iPad to moog app with convincing results!

The update link on the last page has info on all the versions where the updates will work. I’d imagine the Go will get the same update as the rest. No reason why it shouldn’t. 
Update. It looks
 like it’s only HX kit so I guess the Go isn’t included.  

Edited by krispn

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Has JBC called it a day or are you off experimenting in pastures new? I’ve started in an 80’s thing and I’m looking forward to some of the legacy synth stuff just to see if it’s useable although I’m hooking the iPad to moog app with convincing results!

The update link on the last page has info on all the versions where the updates will work. I’d imagine the Go will get the same update as the rest. No reason why it shouldn’t. 

80s thing sounds like a lot of fun - it's still the favourite musical decade for many!

JBC (and Retros) still going strong, although JBC has probably has reached the level it's going to get to given the work/life commitments of a couple of band members who are in busy jobs. I've got a new 4 piece project on the go which kicked off at the start of the year - will be gigging with them at the end this month. Funny being back in regular rehearsal mode to get us all up to speed with 2 x 1 hour material - been a long while since I've done that.

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

80s thing sounds like a lot of fun - it's still the favourite musical decade for many!

JBC (and Retros) still going strong, although JBC has probably has reached the level it's going to get to given the work/life commitments of a couple of band members who are in busy jobs. I've got a new 4 piece project on the go which kicked off at the start of the year - will be gigging with them at the end this month. Funny being back in regular rehearsal mode to get us all up to speed with 2 x 1 hour material - been a long while since I've done that.

I’ve been rehearsing again and it’s good but we just can’t lock in a reliable guitarist. I’m told we have three auditioning next week! Is the new stuff original material or similar stuff to the JBC stuff? I’d looked at some original material bands but the stuff wasn’t really grabbing me. 

Edited by krispn

14 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’ve been rehearsing again and it’s good but we just can’t lock in a reliable guitarist. I’m told we have three auditioning next week! Is the new stuff original material or similar stuff to the JBC stuff? I’d looked at some original material bands but the stuff wasn’t really grabbing me. 

Funny you say that about guitarists...we thought we had a multi-instrumentalist / guitarist / vocalist on board but pulled out so we had auditions a couple of weeks back. First choice has joined and, fingers crossed, will be a great fit. Second choice, and it was close run, is actually a regular dep for JBC, is being lined up by this new outfit's drummer for his existing covers band. So we seem to have managed to sort two guitarists for two bands with one audition, that's gotta be some sort of record.

Quite a bit of overlap with JBC covers, as part of the plan is for both bands' crews to be able to dep for each other when needed, but a few new numbers also and will have a different vibe. Be nice to do some of original material down the line too which this new lot are up for and JBC aren't.

Interesting! Can't wait to get it all downloaded and explore. My "new" band does a lot of pop stuff and there's room for synth bass and using the bass to play synth melodies in parts. I invested in a Boss SY1 which is great and I will use a few settings off that, but it doesn't do the fat fuzzy envelope filter type synth sound that I crave. I tried making my own in Helix but it was really hard work and never came out right. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Interesting! Can't wait to get it all downloaded and explore. My "new" band does a lot of pop stuff and there's room for synth bass and using the bass to play synth melodies in parts. I invested in a Boss SY1 which is great and I will use a few settings off that, but it doesn't do the fat fuzzy envelope filter type synth sound that I crave. I tried making my own in Helix but it was really hard work and never came out right. 

I agree and am very much in the same boat. But having just persuaded our guitarist to get a Pod Go, if the Helix new synth patches are (finally) decent I think I'm going to be sorely tempted to get back to Helix myself, too, rather than stick with my FI. Will be following with interest! 

• Like 1