Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Apologies for the newbie question and that I haven't read all 75 pages of this thread, but I'm wondering if a HX Stomp will work as a replacement for a selection of discrete pedals.

My current pedals are these, but I always seem to be tight on board space and end up with one left over:

• Phaser (MXR Phase 90).
  • Chorus (MXR Black Label).
  • Octave down (EBS Octabass. Aguilar Octamizer).
  • Octave up (EH Mosaic).
  • Flanger (I don't have one and have no space on my board anyway).
  • Tremolo (won't fit on my board).
  • Envelope filter (I have a Bass Synth Wah and previously had an Aguilar Filter Twin).

So, I'm wondering if a Stomp would be a way of consolidating them into a single unit.

I don't really need amp modelling, as I'm using an EBS Microbass 3, and I have a Dave Hall DHA-1 valve pedal for a bit of grit.

I'd likely run the Stomp via the Microbass's Fx loop, along with my Source Audio C4 synth pedal.

I reckon it will do a really good job at all the above apart from envelope filter - I've certainly not managed to get my Helixes on a par with the a decent dedicated filter (or indeed synth) pedal but I suspect your C4 should be able to cover that off.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, prowla said:

Apologies for the newbie question and that I haven't read all 75 pages of this thread, but I'm wondering if a HX Stomp will work as a replacement for a selection of discrete pedals.

My current pedals are these, but I always seem to be tight on board space and end up with one left over:

• Phaser (MXR Phase 90).
  • Octave up (EH Mosaic).
  • Envelope filter (I have a Bass Synth Wah and previously had an Aguilar Filter Twin).

So, I'm wondering if a Stomp would be a way of consolidating them into a single unit.

I don't really need amp modelling, as I'm using an EBS Microbass 3, and I have a Dave Hall DHA-1 valve pedal for a bit of grit.

I'd likely run the Stomp via the Microbass's Fx loop, along with my Source Audio C4 synth pedal.

I kept my Octamizer (well, both of them!) as the octave in the Stomp just didn’t quite cut it for me. It should be able to nail everything else (especially the modulation) though. Although there have been a few negative comments regarding the filters in the Stomp, i’ve found the Auto Filter effect to be more than satisfactory!

23 minutes ago, Higgie said:

I kept my Octamizer (well, both of them!) as the octave in the Stomp just didn’t quite cut it for me. It should be able to nail everything else (especially the modulation) though. Although there have been a few negative comments regarding the filters in the Stomp, i’ve found the Auto Filter effect to be more than satisfactory!

The thing about the Octamizer is that it sounds great, but a. Stops at about C on the A string, and b. Goes glitchy as a held note fades; I find that it plays me, rather than vice-versa. 

13 hours ago, prowla said:

The thing about the Octamizer is that it sounds great, but a. Stops at about C on the A string, and b. Goes glitchy as a held note fades; I find that it plays me, rather than vice-versa. 

Having been an octaver fan before making a move to 5 string basses, I've tried a lot of octavers and ended up settling on the Boss OC-5.

For the money, I've not found a better octave down pedal and it also includes a decent octave up in the price and pretty much nails the classic OC-2 sound. Only trouble currently, it seems, is actually getting your hands on one! As tracking low without glitching seems to be quite key for you (as it also was for me), I should add that the OC-5 can track really well. Rumour has it that Boss have made use of ridiculously good tracking algorithms from their Boss SY-1 synth pedal in the OC-5 which would certainly explain it. It tracks all the way down to an open E in "poly" mode; it is, however, less good at tracking and more OC-2 like in "vintage" mode.

Edited by Al Krow

21 hours ago, prowla said:

• Phaser (MXR Phase 90).
  • Octave up (EH Mosaic).

Yes it will do all these things. But as some have already said, if there's a particular pedal that really works for to, and you love it, don't expect the same quality out of the HX. However if you feel like using an effect you don't have at the moment chances are it's on the Helix in a close enough quality, so you can experiment or not but new pedals then that song gets dropped off the setlist.

Also to consider is how much you switch effects in and out, you may want a Stomp XL, or have to get extension switches for an ordinary Stomp. A Stomp isn't a one-box solution, sadly. I thought mine would be, but instead of having three multi effects (bass, elec guitar, acoustic guitar) I now have a board of bass effects that can do some guitar stuff too. It's not because the Helix can't do everything I want, it pretty much can, but it's because I wouldn't be able to use it live without hours and hours of pre programming which I'm not prepared to do. 

For example, I have a boost pedal on my board for when the singer drops out of playing guitar or when it's bass and drums only. I could do this without a separate pedal IF I set up the Helix for Snapshots or add a boost as a footswitch option, but that requires me to free up a few of my footswitches which means something else is sacrificed. Far easier to just have boost always there in a separate box. 

11 hours ago, prowla said:

Have to say my experience is completely different. I have two on my board, both of which track down to around G# on the E string, and it’s one of the least warbly/glitchy on held notes i’ve come across. Certainly less so than an OC2. I’ve had a couple of them and sold them on in favour of the Octamizer.

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Yes it will do all these things. But as some have already said, if there's a particular pedal that really works for to, and you love it, don't expect the same quality out of the HX. However if you feel like using an effect you don't have at the moment chances are it's on the Helix in a close enough quality, so you can experiment or not but new pedals then that song gets dropped off the setlist.

Also to consider is how much you switch effects in and out, you may want a Stomp XL, or have to get extension switches for an ordinary Stomp. A Stomp isn't a one-box solution, sadly. I thought mine would be, but instead of having three multi effects (bass, elec guitar, acoustic guitar) I now have a board of bass effects that can do some guitar stuff too. It's not because the Helix can't do everything I want, it pretty much can, but it's because I wouldn't be able to use it live without hours and hours of pre programming which I'm not prepared to do. 

For example, I have a boost pedal on my board for when the singer drops out of playing guitar or when it's bass and drums only. I could do this without a separate pedal IF I set up the Helix for Snapshots or add a boost as a footswitch option, but that requires me to free up a few of my footswitches which means something else is sacrificed. Far easier to just have boost always there in a separate box. 

I'm really looking for a compact unit to replace separates; I can currently switch the separates in and out using a Gigrig Quartermaster lopper, but maybe that could go too with an all-in-one.

I do get the point about programming these things; if you're not careful, that becomes the target, rather than playing the songs. I do have a Morningstar MC6 MIDI switcher too, but that would increase the footprint instead of reduce it.

Ah, nothing is ever easy!

11 minutes ago, prowla said:

Ah, nothing is ever easy!

Indeed! In a band that I (happily) folded the guitarist was more bothered about programming his full fat Helix than actually learning the songs. When I told him I didn't know how to do a few things on my Stomp he was gobsmacked, "that's the whole fun of it!" He said.... I'm more interested in playing bass than p!ssing around with software, personally.

• Like 1

So I bricked my HX FX. Tried everything the internet suggests but it won't come on. I ran it on a non Line 6 Power Supply (a Diago 3 amp 9v) at practice and it was fine. Now it won't start at all.

I've checked the power supply (the proper one) and it's delivering the juice, but the box sits inert. No lights nothing. So before I turn it into an ornament (and monument to my stupidity) is there any suggestion anyone can make?

33 minutes ago, stewblack said:

So I bricked my HX FX. Tried everything the internet suggests but it won't come on. I ran it on a non Line 6 Power Supply (a Diago 3 amp 9v) at practice and it was fine. Now it won't start at all.

I've checked the power supply (the proper one) and it's delivering the juice, but the box sits inert. No lights nothing. So before I turn it into an ornament (and monument to my stupidity) is there any suggestion anyone can make?

Under warranty I assume?

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Awww man. 😢 

might be a stupid suggestion but if it was working when you switched it off at rehearsal, not got a bit of debris preventing the on/off switch working properly just needs clearing out?? Or is the rocker switch working fine to? 

Edited by bassfan

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

V. sorry to hear that Stew, particularly as we all know it's not a cheap piece of kit. 

Hope you don't mind me posting a link to your thread with its warning on here also: Helix Power Hack - Effects - Basschat

• Like 1

How often have you used the alternative power supply? I've used an alternative with no issues.

Does the HX FX work with the Diago PSU still? Could the Line 6 PSU be faulty? Or have slipped slightly out of the plug adaptor?

Also, the Line 6 PSU is centre negative.

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Awww man. 😢 

might be a stupid suggestion but if it was working when you switched it off at rehearsal, not got a bit of debris preventing the on/off switch working properly just needs clearing out?? Or is the rocker switch working fine to? 

Yep all the mechanical side working

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, tauzero said:

How often have you used the alternative power supply? I've used an alternative with no issues.

Does the HX FX work with the Diago PSU still? Could the Line 6 PSU be faulty? Or have slipped slightly out of the plug adaptor?

Also, the Line 6 PSU is centre negative.

Nope, deader than flares regardless of which psu

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Check with Line 6 maybe that warranty may be transferable?  I would have thought they would honour it as it can hardly be any more than a couple of years old?

Sadly I think using a non-approved PSU set-up would typically invalidate a warranty, particularly if that was what fried the circuits. 

Not covered: "Damage due to incorrect connection, connection to faulty equipment or connection to faulty or incorrect power supplies."

• Like 1

I came across this useful pack of bass cab IRs:
https://shift-line.com/irpackbass
... with a 'pay what you want' pricing model. Quite handy for headphones based practice (as otherwise the Helix patches I have sound completely different without being played via amp / cab), and it's easy to load them all up and flick between them in HX Edit or on your device (I have a an FX) until you find something you like. Not sure how true they are to the original cabs, but in general the tonal differences makes sense (i.e. B15 = less bass more mids, EBS = fairly neutral, Ampeg 8x10s = fat and big etc).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches