Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

June 11th 2015 was the launch date for Helix and it's been an incredible success. With the advent of the newest member of the family, the Helix HX Stomp, a few of us felt it might be helpful to have a thread for capturing Q&A, tips and ideas as well as any patches or clips that we're finding working well across the latest generation Helix multi-fx family.

Hopefully a reference manual for posting queries and ideas for getting the most out of our Helix multi-fx pedals.

LIST OF EFFECTS & AMP MODELS

L6 HX effects & models (2.80).pdf

DR TONELAB HELIX PATCHES (JON WILLIS)

http://drtonelab.com/

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BassBus said:

OK, I'll bite. The clip below is a video describing the patch I made up to perform sound on sound (Frippertronics). Made for the Floor but I'm sure it can be adapted for the other platforms.

Great start to the thread - thanks for sharing that! Very Pink Floyd if might just add...☺️

I'm testing out HXFX this afternoon in place of my LT board. I can report back to see if there's anything I felt I was missing. This particular gig isn't really heavy on effects though, so I'm not expecting too many problems. I can share my "no amp or cab sims" effects routing though; by twist of fate is good because HX FX doesn't have any amp sims on board, which made that part of transitioning easier. 

VERSION: (LT, HX, Stomp etc)

TITLE: (Tip, Trick, Patch example etc)

DESCRIPTION:

IN DETAIL:

How you made it, what it does and any other notes.

VIDEO:

YouTube etc

LINKS: (Soundcloud etc)

• Like 1

VERSION: HX Stomp 2.70

TITLE: Tip - Numbering your patches

DESCRIPTION: If you don't like the format of showing the letters in the banks of patches - 28A, 28B, 28C  etc. , you can show numbers instead....

IN DETAIL:  Click :-  File - Preferences - Pre-set numbering format   and just change it to 000-125

Very simple tip, I know - but hopefully it will help somebody ....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I know it is possible to assign a midi note on / off to a pedal. This is great, I can use it to replace my 12 step which would give me more space, but is it possible to assign more than one midi note on per switch, so I can do chords?

I'm not aware of being able to apply more than one MIDI note to a footswitch, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are ways round that though. I have a patch that I use to play the root and whatever additional pitch I select with it, all at the same time. Plays a two note chord from one note. Great with the Ebow. That uses the 'dual pitch' effect. Very easy to set up. I have it set to play the root with 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th. I don't know if that's what you mean. Anyway here's a vid of it in practice.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I know it is possible to assign a midi note on / off to a pedal.

To clarify - this is possible on all members of the Helix product line EXCEPT Stomp, which can send MIDI Program Change messages but not MIDI CCs.

Edited by CameronJ

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I was very tempted but then I got the offer of the HX effects. Maybe i will come to one of your gigs and see how it works - you still with Microlight?

Yeah, still with MicroLight! Let me first understand how this works! 😂😂😂

@Bearfist I see from one of your posts that you pretty much been able to nail the DG X7 pedal sound on your Helix. Well that's a £289 pedal covered with just one effects patch! 

So can we get you to spill the beans on what the patch / block settings on your Helix are to do this? 

And @Dood how about a few tricks from you, buddy? What's good on the polyphonic octave up, filter or synth sounds on the Helix?

Edited by Al Krow

On 29/11/2018 at 18:55, BassBus said:

I'm not aware of being able to apply more than one MIDI note to a footswitch, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are ways round that though. I have a patch that I use to play the root and whatever additional pitch I select with it, all at the same time. Plays a two note chord from one note. Great with the Ebow. That uses the 'dual pitch' effect. Very easy to set up. I have it set to play the root with 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th. I don't know if that's what you mean. Anyway here's a vid of it in practice.

That is fantastic!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@Bearfist I see from one of your posts that you pretty much been able to nail the DG X7 pedal sound on your Helix. Well that's a £289 pedal covered with just one effects patch! 

So can we get you to spill the beans on what the patch / block settings on your Helix are to do this? 

And @Dood how about a few tricks from you, buddy? What's good on the polyphonic octave up, filter or synth sounds on the Helix?

No probs, I'm away this weekend (which is annoying as my helix floor is being delivered today) but il get something up next week. Simply put though it's do a crossover split, comp the lows with the same settings the x uses, run the highs into an Obsidian set pretty flat and drop some eq's in either path to account for how I set the filters on the x. When I A/B against how I have the x set up I can't here any real difference on headphones or monitors but I don't know if it could nail every setting that pedal can do, its an awesome little thing! 

Edited by Bearfist

Only 15 of the patches in the HX Stomp , out of the box, are for bass..... and ALL  of the DIR patches have been set up with Guitar amps and cabinets..... so the first thing I have done is to replace every one of the amps and cabs in the DIR patches with Bass amps and cabs.  Then I can start to audition them and see whether any of them can be adapted for bass. Note that I am no expert and any other approaches that anyone else has will be gratefully received !

33 minutes ago, milford59 said:

Only 15 of the patches in the HX Stomp , out of the box, are for bass..... and ALL  of the DIR patches have been set up with Guitar amps and cabinets..... so the first thing I have done is to replace every one of the amps and cabs in the DIR patches with Bass amps and cabs.  

Don't overlook the sound options that playing through a guitar amp and cab will give you just because they say guitar.

• Like 1

The octaver that’s based on the EBS Octabass is surprisingly decent, although it won’t be replacing my analogue octavers. 

As for the filters, the best one IMO is “Autofilter” which isn’t modelled on an existing pedal (it’s a Line 6 Original) but the level of adjustability is quite impressive. There are loads of parameters to satisfy the keenest filter tweaker (I’m thinking of you @Quatschmacher)

The other day I managed to get quite a nasty gated fuzz-driven synthy filter patch with a Clawthorn overdrive going into the Autofilter and the noise gate on the input block set fairly tight. Chucked a chorus/phaser on the end and had a blast playing some dirty synth lines. Then I forgot to save the patch and lost it all xD

• Like 1

VERSION:  Stomp

TITLE: Patch example - Crossover into parallel paths

DESCRIPTION: Tubey low gain sound with clean lows. sounds ace with flats on my P

IN DETAIL: Using a Crossover split at 500Hz, sending highs and mids through a mpeg SVT amp & 810 cab, lows through studio compressor, then merged. 

There's a volume pedal block on each path as i find it useful to switch these on and off to hear what each path contains. 

Amp Tone'z.hlx

amptonez.mp3

• Like 4

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches