Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

9 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The Stomp has a current draw of less than 900mA

..... So I used a current doubler (not voltage doubler! ) cable running from two 500mA outputs of a normal power block (harley benton) and a  barrel size convertor. All worked fine and does away with the need to use the line 6 power supply. 

Interesting! I already have a Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-1AC, which has 500mA outputs. Which cables and size converter do you use? Even as an option, that’s good to know. 

19 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The Stomp has a current draw of less than 900mA

..... So I used a current doubler (not voltage doubler! ) cable running from two 500mA outputs of a normal power block (harley benton) and a  barrel size convertor. All worked fine and does away with the need to use the line 6 power supply. 

I use the DC7 and the converter lead. Works a treat. 

I've been experimenting with power supplies for the pedalboard which is to feature the Stomp plus a Raspberry Pi-powered soft synth module. Both of them are quite hefty current draws. I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193853851917 and modified a daisy-chain lead to have a 5.5/2.5mm plug. Turned out I didn't need to daisy-chain the power supply end to increase the current capacity, just run it off one of the 500mA outputs, and the other 500mA output was enough to power the soft synth. I've only tested this briefly, I want to do a soak test for two or three hours to make sure nothing gets too hot or stops working.

17 hours ago, M@23 said:

My Stomp PSU crapped out mid set at a wedding last night. On inspection it seems that the issue is the 3 pin clip on part, as something is rattling around inside it. 
GAK sell the PSU for a reasonable price, but will only ship the to Isle of Wight orders of £140+. 
Line 6 were very unhelpful when contacted. 
Does anybody have the 3 pin bit they no longer use and would sell, or the whole DC3 PSU? Please PM me if you do!

Sorry to hear about the power supply failing although it is a daft design, I get why they designed it for universal use but I do think it could have been implemented better. Anyway, that's by the by.

But the good news is that there are reasonably priced alternative options. I picked up a Warwick Rockboard wall wart PSU that puts out - I think - 1700 mA at 9 volts, centre negative. It's a standard pedal sized barrel connector (2.1 mm ?) so needs an adapter to fit the Stomp which - again I think, it's early and I'm going from memory with a slight hangover - is something like 2.5 mm. I bought the Warwick Rockboard PSU from a guy on here so unfortunately I didn't know where it came from originally but no doubt Google will find somewhere. It's not as substantial as the Line 6 PSU but it does the job and takes up far less room. As for the 2.1 to 2.5 mm adapter, I picked up a pack of 3 (fnarr) from somewhere like Amazon or eBay for not much more than a couple of quid. I appreciate that this is all a little vague but I can try and dig out the details over the weekend.

Plus there's also the One Spot wall wart, I've recently picked one up and while it's physically bigger and more substantial feeling than the Rockboard unit (the cable on the one spot is nice and chunky whereas the RB feels a little more flimsy) it's still around half the size of the Line 6 jobbie. As with the Rockboard you'll need an adapter, if you use the official One Spot adapters you actually need two different ones - their own Line 6 adapter (the one with a green tip) reverses the polarity (apparently designed for older L6 pedals that required this) plus their polarity inverter (the one with a red tip) to reverse the polarity back again. Or you could just use the One Spot with a 2.1 to 2.5 mm adapter. 

I have both of the above and have successfully powered the Stomp for a couple of hours at a time without any issues at in house levels. The One Spot is the slightly more expensive of the 2, I think, but feels a little more reassuring. That's not to say that the Rockboard is a poor choice, it isn't, if space is an issue then it's a solid option. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Hi Guys ,

Just got a used Helix Stomp, its great . Been messing around with it , but need a bit of help .

Has anyone got a nice clean Bass amp patch I could have as a starting point .

All the presets seem over the top and "mushy"

Just need one to mess around with .

Pete

Have a look here https://drtonelab.com/guide/

1 hour ago, petetexas said:

Hi Guys ,

Just got a used Helix Stomp, its great . Been messing around with it , but need a bit of help .

Has anyone got a nice clean Bass amp patch I could have as a starting point .

All the presets seem over the top and "mushy"

Just need one to mess around with .

Pete

Take one for the presets and turn the amp gain down and any OD’s that are on. Treat it like a real amp. 

I have a clean preamp patch. It’s the tube pre amp some para eq and comp. very clean and a great basic sound. If you fancy it message me. I’m at the airport just now but I’ll be back home later tonight and I can send you some screenshots so that 

Edited by krispn

That should be the screen shots with you now. Let me know how you get on with the patch. I think it’s a pretty decent clean tone. Plus try out different eq and compressors as you may find some of the other ones suit your better or maybe you’d prefer no comp at all. 

Have fun!

Gavin