Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

18 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I couldn’t ignore you forever 😉

think our posts crossed and it was/is edit. I could still scroll the presets and operate them on the stomp. 
im not worried about gigs. There’s no song I play where I absolutely need it, I’ll just by pass it. 😂 

Yeah, sounds more like the software then. Thats not so much of a crisis I guess. 

Thats how i think of pedals, nothing absolutely essential, especially the Comp 😬.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, sounds more like the software then. Thats not so much of a crisis I guess. 

Thats how i think of pedals, nothing absolutely essential, especially the Comp 😬.

Exactly. I have the comp on the BAmp anyway. 

16 hours ago, bassfan said:

Rant warning. 

Ive spent 5 hours this afternoon/evening trying to sort my stomp. It worked fine at the weekend so I thought I’d play with some more effects. First it wouldn’t reallocate the light from white to any other colour. Then it refused to copy any presets into new blocks in edit. All firmware is up to date. So uninstalled the software. Reinstalled the software. No difference. Checked all the settings. I have fs 3 aligned to true bypass, wasn’t working. Wouldn’t reallocate fs3 back to tuner. Factory reset meant I had to reallocate fs4/5- god bless YouTube. 
4 hours in. Plenty of 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 it just sprang back to life. Wtf! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have you tried a hard reset? Line 6 recommend doing it after every firmware update as counterintuitive as it sounds! Don't quote me on this as it's been a while since I have done it but it's something simple like holding down foot switch 3 (possibly 2 and 3 similtaneously) while you boot up the Stomp. I had a behavioral issue with mine a while ago and this sorted it, it seems to clear out any clutter from the cache when updating the firmware. 

2 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Have you tried a hard reset? Line 6 recommend doing it after every firmware update as counterintuitive as it sounds! Don't quote me on this as it's been a while since I have done it but it's something simple like holding down foot switch 3 (possibly 2 and 3 similtaneously) while you boot up the Stomp. I had a behavioral issue with mine a while ago and this sorted it, it seems to clear out any clutter from the cache when updating the firmware. 

Sell it, I did.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I’ll try that if it happens again. 

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Sell it, I did.

😂

I think the answer is no, but with the HX Stomp, anyone know if it’s possible to have one patch with the 3rd footswitch as an effect switch, then switch to another patch where the 3rd footswitch changes to the tuner?

Cheers

Si

6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I think the answer is no, but with the HX Stomp, anyone know if it’s possible to have one patch with the 3rd footswitch as an effect switch, then switch to another patch where the 3rd footswitch changes to the tuner?

Cheers

Si

No, because thats a Global feature. Unless something changed in v3.0 of course. 

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Cheers

Si

I think you're right in that it's not possible!

The easiest way around it would be to use an external footswitch for the tuner. Even if you only need a total of 4 footswitches you could always use a single external switch with a standard mono cable, you'd just need to figure out if it would default to footswitch 4 or 5 in the global settings but that should only take a minute. It ought to work as in the past I've not pushed my TRS cable in fully and only had my twin footswitch working on one channel. Lots of swearing and reboots later I managed to figure it out :D

Could maybe setup something using command center to send the midi command for the tuner, and then connect stomp midi out to stomp midi in.... 

Could end up having other unintended side effects though.... Prob worth ignoring unless you're desperate to avoid using an external FS

On 09/07/2021 at 20:50, Sibob said:

Cheers

Si

No because of global settings, as already stated by someone here... But I find having a micro external tuner helps. Then you can always have it there and use it as a mute switch. I've got mine feeding the input to my HX so I go bass>tuner> HX. I've then got all three HX buttons as on/ off for different effects and an external 2 button footswitch to do Preset up/ down. It's then really really clear what everything does so it's easy to use quickly. That's if you can remember which preset you want for each song 😉

And there was me buying a Helix so I would only need one pedal forevermore... 

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

No because of global settings, as already stated by someone here... But I find having a micro external tuner helps. Then you can always have it there and use it as a mute switch. I've got mine feeding the input to my HX so I go bass>tuner> HX. I've then got all three HX buttons as on/ off for different effects and an external 2 button footswitch to do Preset up/ down. It's then really really clear what everything does so it's easy to use quickly. That's if you can remember which preset you want for each song 😉

And there was me buying a Helix so I would only need one pedal forevermore... 

Yeah makes sense. 
Would be great if they could have that as an option though, changing the global footswitch setting per preset.
Would allow me to set up different settings/patches/scenes (whatever you want to call them) for different bands properly, some I want the tuner on a footswitch, some I have the tuner separately and use all the FS's for effects.
Almost certainly just a firmware update, but I can work around it as suggested :)

Cheers
Si

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

Yeah makes sense. 
Would be great if they could have that as an option though, changing the global footswitch setting per preset.
Would allow me to set up different settings/patches/scenes (whatever you want to call them) for different bands properly, some I want the tuner on a footswitch, some I have the tuner separately and use all the FS's for effects.
Almost certainly just a firmware update, but I can work around it as suggested :)

Cheers
Si

Yes, almost like "Tuner" being an effect block... But without taking a block up, that could work for me if it could be done like that so you can bring it in and out, move it around.... 

You could also only put it on 1 out of 5 patches for a guitarist so they aren't constantly, constantly tuning between each song. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Yes, almost like "Tuner" being an effect block... But without taking a block up, that could work for me if it could be done like that so you can bring it in and out, move it around.... 

You could also only put it on 1 out of 5 patches for a guitarist so they aren't constantly, constantly tuning between each song. 

Ah, even better idea, I'd be more than ok having it on a block, I don't use many in a preset haha.

Cheers
Si

For anyone thinking of buying a Stomp... 

I sold off a Zoom G7.1ut electric guitar multi, a zoom 502 or whatever it is acoustic multi, and a Boss GT10B thinking the Stomp would replace them all. And largely it has. I didn't want to go back to my pedal board days of worrying what would work nicely with what else, what if I buy a flanger only for that song to never make it on the set list... Etc. The Stomp was to be my single box solution. Well.... Here's my pedal board now... 

Ignore the TC Helicon, that's a vocal fx unit that's there purely for sharing the power source and portability. But in addition to the Stomp I've employed an external tuner so I can use more buttons on the Stomp, an external 2 button footswitch so I can use the Stomp buttons to control effects and the external to scroll through presets, an external bass wah because using an expression pedal (not pictured) with the Stomp just isn't as good, an external power supply to power everything except the Stomp. 

In addition to the Stomp there's probably close to £150-200 of other stuff, board and cables included (TC not included) , required for me to get what I need out of it. 

Still, it's cheaper than buying individual fx and finding they don't play nicely together or they introduce shed loads of noise, or they don't sound like the demo, etc. 

IMG_20210714_110534.thumb.jpg.9ac379acb25e450cf9e6b07368621a7e.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, in theory the Stomp can replace most pedals (or at least get pretty close to their sound) and it's footswitch limitations can mostly be solved by using presets, and that external dual switch is well worth having. 

It's main issues are: not great at envelope filters or synths, I like a compressor with some visual compression indicator and hands on control, and block space can be an issue (I've had it maxxed out at 5 if using certain things) so it can't always replace everything that could be done with big chain of pedals. So I'll be keeping a compressor, synth, and favorite od and fuzz pedals. 

I'm happy with it, even just as a modulation, delay, eq, amp/cab sim, tuner it would cost about the same to have them as separate pedals. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Yeah, in theory the Stomp can replace most pedals (or at least get pretty close to their sound) and it's footswitch limitations can mostly be solved by using presets, and that external dual switch is well worth having. 

It's main issues are: not great at envelope filters or synths, I like a compressor with some visual compression indicator and hands on control, and block space can be an issue (I've had it maxxed out at 5 if using certain things) so it can't always replace everything that could be done with big chain of pedals. So I'll be keeping a compressor, synth, and favorite od and fuzz pedals. 

I'm happy with it, even just as a modulation, delay, eq, amp/cab sim, tuner it would cost about the same to have them as separate pedals. 

Nailed it. 

Although I'd also love to see how the drives really fare up against our favourite dedicated dirt pedals. My little Zoom B1-4 struggles to match up to my current goto dirt (Pigtronix Octava). I suspect the Helix would do better! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SumOne said:

FYI The compression does have gain reduction meters now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nailed it. 

Although I'd also love to see how the drives really fare up against our favourite dedicated dirt pedals. My little Zoom B1-4 struggles to match up to my current goto dirt (Pigtronix Octava). I suspect the Helix would do better! 

I've kept my Solid Gold FX Beta OD and MXR Brown Acid Fuzz as couldn't quite get the Stomp to sound as good as them, it does get close though. But it was taking at least 2 blocks to get as close as I could to replicating each of them (EQ + OD, and could probably get closer using other things too) so it starts impacting the block space available (and footswitches) for other things the Stomp can do at the same time. 

During lockdown I sold off all my effects as I hadn't needed them in years. Predictably I have now joined a band where I need effects & Line 6 looks like way to go.

Got a problem though - I'm having issues at the minute with my vision - it's a passing phase until I probably need varifocals. I wear reading glasses & can see very little close up without them - distance is OK but between 3-5 feet it's pretty blurry -  not good when using pedals!!

Does anyone have similar experiences & could advise which is the best re clarity? The Stomp display looks to be a decent size whereas the Effects displays possibly too small. Most probably can't help as you can see them OK!

The problem should be resolved when my next optician's visit is due but currently is a real pain. I can't even make out my amp settings & struggle seeing the fret dots on maple neck basses! I can't play with the reading glasses on as I can't see beyond 2-3 feet & they make the neck appear bent!   Aarghh - hate getting old 😬

56 minutes ago, el borracho said:

During lockdown I sold off all my effects as I hadn't needed them in years. Predictably I have now joined a band where I need effects & Line 6 looks like way to go.

Got a problem though - I'm having issues at the minute with my vision - it's a passing phase until I probably need varifocals. I wear reading glasses & can see very little close up without them - distance is OK but between 3-5 feet it's pretty blurry -  not good when using pedals!!

Does anyone have similar experiences & could advise which is the best re clarity? The Stomp display looks to be a decent size whereas the Effects displays possibly too small. Most probably can't help as you can see them OK!

The problem should be resolved when my next optician's visit is due but currently is a real pain. I can't even make out my amp settings & struggle seeing the fret dots on maple neck basses! I can't play with the reading glasses on as I can't see beyond 2-3 feet & they make the neck appear bent!   Aarghh - hate getting old 😬

Mine have been getting worse over the last 10 years. The last time I had my eyes tested I had them do an extra test for about 1.20m as I couldn't see my music clearly on the stand with or without my reading glasses. They also help me see my pedals. Trouble is if I need to look closely at my amp I need my reading glasses. I now have to take both pairs. I didn't get on with varifocals at all. It might be worth giving mid distance ones a go. You could always try some cheap reading glasses at a lower magnification. My reading glasses are approx 1.75 and mid distance 0.75.

I have the Stomp and Effects and am fine with seeing both.

• Like 1