Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Sigma Audio's bass essentials are not exactly "wow" but they're good solid settings. Plus they do a Trace Elliot IR which is OK. They're good ones to build from though. 

I have said this before in this thread I think, but I just don't understand how the expectation is that bassists just want ultra high gain noise sounds all the time. So some of the essentials pack are SVT, SVT pushed, SVT Dirty, when really you could just do an SVT and have two snapshots with ever increasing gain if that's what you want or whack a distortion pedal in it. Even in the heavy music I listen to I rarely hear ultra high gain bass. 

If anyone out there is doing SWR simulation please let me know! I'm starting to miss some of the presets on my Boss GT10B, Super Flat, 42 Level, Oakland Slap, etc. Those clean, punchy big bass tones that just get the job done. Even my old Fender Bronco modelling amp had great clean amp sims. Hearing one amp "dirty" is pretty much the same as hearing the others "dirty" just maybe a bit bassier or a bit more mid from one to the next. 

Yeah, I'm with you on the high gain thing. I mostly listen/play Reggae and Funk so don't need it for that (and I expect 90% of Bass players play genres that don't really need it much, or can just add a distortion pedal ahead of the amp).

I do like heavy Stoner and Doom big fuzzy riff stuff sometimes, I'm no expert on it but I think even with that heavy fuzzy sounding stuff most bands achieve it with a relatively clean Bass sound that is set to compliment/blend with the guitar riffs. Going for a high-gain Bass sound works practicing at home and with headphones but in a band and live setting it crosses into guitar frequencies while also losing some low end (and that's if the real life Bass cab can even replicate the high-frequencies) so overall the band sounds less heavy than if the Bass just stayed relatively clean. 

• Like 1

the one thing with higher gain sounds is worth experimenting with... 
pick the b15 sim with a separate cab b15 cab block.... experiment turning the cab on and off.... you can get into hairy overdrive and the cab tames it to give you nice harmonic richness.... turn the cab off and it's way too fuzzy. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could just disable it (or just have it control headphones, which wont matter if it gets knocked). 

This is how i used to have mine set up. That way I always had a consistent level coming out of the main outs. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A month into owning a Stomp and it has replaced:

• Tuner 
  • EQ x2 (a 7 band and a parametric)
  • Preamp/DI/Cab sim (Bass Simplifier)
  • ......and it will also replace my Chorus/Phaser pedal.

Replacing more pedals will start being a bit of a compromise though due to block space/footswitch control/tones etc. so I think for me the Stomp isn't going to be a 'replace my whole pedal board' type of thing (I didn't expect it would though) but is certainly very good and replaces quite a few pedals and acts as a hub for a other pedals to be put into it's effects loops.  

Overall if anyone is wondering about getting a Stomp I'd say go for it - I'm very impressed. But it doesn't replace everything without some compromise - especially without buying additional footswitch controllers (and even then you might run into trouble using up all the blocks if you rely on it for everything), the more pedals it replaces means more of a preset-planning mindset is needed rather than 'one footswitch per effect' mindset to get the best from it.

• Like 3

Tearing my hair out here... Bought a Mosky two Button external footswitch for my Stomp. It was 2 weeks late arriving. Now its here and... Only one button works! I've followed a YouTube instructional video on setting this up so I can use this to change presets up and down. I've gone through global settings, ensured it's set to switch and not expression, whatever I assign to the right side button works but the left side button does nothing. Unbelievably frustrating after waiting over three weeks for this. 

This is the video I watched. I think firmware may have progressed since that one but the gist is sound... Anyone think I've missed anything? 

19 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Tearing my hair out here... Bought a Mosky two Button external footswitch for my Stomp. It was 2 weeks late arriving. Now its here and... Only one button works! I've followed a YouTube instructional video on setting this up so I can use this to change presets up and down. I've gone through global settings, ensured it's set to switch and not expression, whatever I assign to the right side button works but the left side button does nothing. Unbelievably frustrating after waiting over three weeks for this. 

This is the video I watched. I think firmware may have progressed since that one but the gist is sound... Anyone think I've missed anything? 

Are you using a stereo connector? 

16 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Are you using a stereo connector? 

@uk_leftyIt definitely needs to be the stereo type. I think it trs ? Anyway. I had the same issue, I changed the cable. It’s fine. 👍🏻

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Good question.... I'm using a flat patch cable. I'll try some others... This is the main cable type. No idea if it's stereo or not, would assume it is https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fpc18_flat_patch_cable.htm

That's a mono cable - you'll need a stereo 'TRS' , they have two rings on them: https://www.andertons.co.uk/ebs-premium-flat-patch-trs-cable-28cm-ebs-dls28?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw_o-HBhAsEiwANqYhpwPvS9GqihC9_cogjy_vpwZMpvpTf3gbn9w1CuMv8GVav0PynGRMxxoCkr0QAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bassfan said:

@uk_leftyIt definitely needs to be the stereo type. I think it trs ? Anyway. I had the same issue, I changed the cable. It’s fine. 👍🏻

Edited an earlier post to include the cable type just as you were typing this. I'd have assumed that patch cables were stereo but not so certain now! I tried another patch cable type and even the jack lead for my bass. No difference. The pedal that works is sticky though.

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Pretty sure I used a mono cable and it worked fine with my old Stomp. Not even a TRS cable, just one of my guitar leads. 

Whether it's the cable type or the switch I'll need the trs cable anyway for a replacement switch... If that makes sense. 

Hang on... 

Get the cable everything works, hurrah. 

Get the cable still doesn't work, get new switch and already have the correct cable type, hurrah. 

• Haha 1

Just now, uk_lefty said:

Whether it's the cable type or the switch I'll need the trs cable anyway for a replacement switch... If that makes sense. 

Hang on... 

Get the cable everything works, hurrah. 

Get the cable still doesn't work, get new switch and already have the correct cable type, hurrah. 

Yeah, thats a good plan.

Actually I think i was wrong about using a mono cable. That was for something else. Yes, a TRS cable is needed. My dual switch came with quite a long cable  so thats what Mande me think it was a guitar lead. 

Ignore me, its been a long day already 😁

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, thats a good plan.

Actually I think i was wrong about using a mono cable. That was for something else. Yes, a TRS cable is needed. My dual switch came with quite a long cable  so thats what Mande me think it was a guitar lead. 

Ignore me, its been a long day already 😁

Ignored. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

Not really needed but it definitely needs a TRS cable. Two switches = two channels. Some things support three switches by using both channels at the same time but that needs extra diodes in the switch. Stomp is not one of those though. 

Rant warning. 

Ive spent 5 hours this afternoon/evening trying to sort my stomp. It worked fine at the weekend so I thought I’d play with some more effects. First it wouldn’t reallocate the light from white to any other colour. Then it refused to copy any presets into new blocks in edit. All firmware is up to date. So uninstalled the software. Reinstalled the software. No difference. Checked all the settings. I have fs 3 aligned to true bypass, wasn’t working. Wouldn’t reallocate fs3 back to tuner. Factory reset meant I had to reallocate fs4/5- god bless YouTube. 
4 hours in. Plenty of 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 it just sprang back to life. Wtf! 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ooh thats not good. Is it possible to re flash the firmware? 

Once you get it working do a back up to your computer just in case you need to do this again. 

Was this used? Might have been faulty before you got it. 

It was yes mate but it’s been fine until now. When it arrived it’s all fine. I could copy presets. Load my own. Just weird this evening. I know I don’t like pc editing to much but I don’t think it was user error. Not this time. 😂

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

It was yes mate but it’s been fine until now. When it arrived it’s all fine. I could copy presets. Load my own. Just weird this evening. I know I don’t like pc editing to much but I don’t think it was user error. Not this time. 😂

Oh, so you’ve decided to stop ignoring me now eh? 😃.

I guess it could be a glitch but ive never heard of this happening with this device before. 

So this was using HX Edit, not on the Stomp itself? 

A bit worrying as it could happen at a gig. 

Weirdly thinking about it, I think it was the software... Once that was reloaded although nothing changed initially it did start to allow the presets to be copied in the editor. Everything was working directly on the box as it should, with the exception of the fs3 reallocation. 
it’s absolutely fine now... when I plugged it all in the software couldn’t see the device, that’s not unusual as it used to do that on my hxfx, used to take a few attempts to see it sometimes. Anyway I’ll keep an eye it. 

Edited by bassfan

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh, so you’ve decided to stop ignoring me now eh? 😃.

I guess it could be a glitch but ive never heard of this happening with this device before. 

So this was using HX Edit, not on the Stomp itself? 

A bit worrying as it could happen at a gig. 

I couldn’t ignore you forever 😉

think our posts crossed and it was/is edit. I could still scroll the presets and operate them on the stomp. 
im not worried about gigs. There’s no song I play where I absolutely need it, I’ll just by pass it. 😂