Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah very much had you in mind with the EP comment, mate.

But if they are going to be adding £250+ for the privilege of not plugging in an external stomp switch pedal, that's asking a lot from punters!

Yeah, I thought you might mean me. 
For me personally I’d get this over the LT if there was at least £100 difference (for example). 
I hate paying for things I don’t use, and im sure many of us don’t use even 50% of what these things can do, probably a lot less.  
While you could argue that that what you get for that £100 more is better value, it’s not logical to me to pay £100 more for even more features I wouldn’t use or want. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Good question and also what it costs? If it's the anything like the £ equivalent of the $ price on ordep's post i.e. £749 that is almost double the price of a £399 Stomp and I can't see it flying off the shelf at that price point. I'm guesing folk may be willing to stump up maybe up to around £500, given it doesn't cost a lot more to add a couple of footswitches. But I'd certainly balk at much beyond that, particularly with a nearly 6 year old chipset and comments about running into DSP limitations after release 3.0.

I’ll just leave this here from the release notes for 3.0- there’s always going to be one person getting the wedgie!

HX Stomp's simultaneous block count has been increased from six to eight.

IMPORTANT! Although HX Stomp now has two additional block locations, this doesn't mean it magically has more DSP horsepower to accommodate those blocks. Don't be surprised if you're not able to fill all eight blocks with exactly what you want, especially considering the new polyphonic pitch models take up a lot more DSP. We've taken note of those who've bemoaned HX Stomp's 6 block limit, and if the same person now complains about running out of DSP with 8 blocks, we're sending hooligans to their home to administer an atomic wedgie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, I thought you might mean me. 
For me personally I’d get this over the LT if there was at least £100 difference (for example). 
I hate paying for things I don’t use, and im sure many of us don’t use even 50% of what these things can do, probably a lot less.  
While you could argue that that what you get for that £100 more is better value, it’s not logical to me to pay £100 more for even more features I wouldn’t use or want. 

Yeah totally with you on having to pay for features that you don't need. I had the same issue originally with my DG M900 amp, but ended up using most of it in the end. Still hardly using any of the additional stuff on the back of my M900 Mk2 (AO), but given I was lucky to pick that up for what I got for my Mk1 I guess I should think of them as being free! 

37 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Still no xlr on XL grrr... not the end of the world I suppose.. hmmm I'm interested!

Hooky you don't need an XLR as such as the Stomp has a balanced output. Just get 1/4" to XLR cable and you're good to go. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hooky you don't need an XLR as such as the Stomp has a balanced output. Just get 1/4" to XLR cable and you're good to go. 

I know... but I want one .... 😉

I'm so used to having xlr It irritates me when there isn't one...I know I'm being picky.

I like the look of the XL ... It looks like a Stomp got it on with a Boss MS 3...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

Would have liked an XLR and an IEC cable. I’ll stick with my ‘old’ Stomp, it still does all I need it to, and very well. 

My old Stomp in fact, Mark? 😁

In terms of the Stomp XL vs the LT, if they turn out to be similarly priced, the LT has an expression pedal, additional stomp switches, a bigger screen and double the processing power (the same as the full Helix in fact). It's obviously a fair bit bigger but my vote would go to the LT.

Oh...and it has an XLR out too 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My old Stomp in fact, Mark? 😁

In terms of the Stomp XL vs the LT, if they turn out to be similarly priced, the LT has an expression pedal, additional stomp switches, a bigger screen and double the processing power (the same as the full Helix in fact). It's obviously a fair bit bigger but my vote would go to the LT.

Oh...and it has an XLR out too 😉

That’s the one mate 😁 I couldn’t tell you what the state of the amp/cab market is, your Stomp genuinely ended that side of GAS for me! Has it been 2 years yet? I couldn’t be happier with it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to give this thing a go and picked up an HX Effects - it's starting to make sense.

Quick question on power supplies if anyone knows, I have a Truetone CS7 which will power the HX Effects - but I keep seeing mentions on other forums about using the supplied adapters and polarity reverser. Now, the CS7 is centre negative and the supplied HX power supply is also centre negative...am I missing something here? Looks like there should be no need to reverse polarity.

But, I did blow up the band lights once, so.....🙄

5 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

I decided to give this thing a go and picked up an HX Effects - it's starting to make sense.

Quick question on power supplies if anyone knows, I have a Truetone CS7 which will power the HX Effects - but I keep seeing mentions on other forums about using the supplied adapters and polarity reverser. Now, the CS7 is centre negative and the supplied HX power supply is also centre negative...am I missing something here? Looks like there should be no need to reverse polarity.

But, I did blow up the band lights once, so.....🙄

I've found that a lot of the adaptors for changing the barrel size (required by the Stomp/HX Effects as correctly mentioned by Hugsonic) ALSO reverse the polarity to centre +ve. So to get round that you can add a polarity reversing adaptor in between, so that the polarity is flipped back to centre -ve again. Your power chain would look like this: Power supply > Polarity Reverse Adaptor > Barrel Size adaptor. Obviously check you have the relevant adaptors first!

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I’ve been waiting for Line6 to say that HX Edit and the HX Stomp are compatible with Big Sur but I’ve just watched a YouTube video where it appears to all be fine, have I just wasted weeks not using the Stomp?

Used my Stomp with Big Sur without any problems so far for the last few weeks.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hugsonic said:

I believe older Line 6 stuff had reversed polarity and so there are L6 adaptors around that reverse the polarity. I have a Stomp and it's centre - ve. It does have a slightly bigger power jack so you still need an adaptor. 

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense! I had a 25cm power connector cable made up with 2.1mm and 2.5mm sockets but hadn't been brave enough to try it! 😉

6 minutes ago, la bam said:

Hi all, does the updated stomp now have input meters, and / or output meters?

I'm thinking of adding one after my preamp pedal so I can monitor levels easily - so it would go:

Bass - pedal - stomp - amp - cab.

Thanks.

Not exactly - there's a small coloured blob that acts as a signal present or clip indicator for both input and output, but no detailed level indication.

See page 23 in the manual for more info - https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112bbf5fb6a519e8b18/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev C - English .pdf

Sorry if this has been posted before by does anyone have Amp sim IRs they recommend that work with the Helix Effects? Ideally free ones to start with. 

The way I understand it is that most IRs are cab + mic sims (and searching around - most are aimed at guitar),  but I already have an analogue Bass Cab sim pedal (Bass Simplifier) which is good for that, so is there such a thing as a good Bass Amp IR?  I assume they are basically a combination of Comp+ EQ + preamp/Distortion + FX which I can re-create with different effects but that would take up 4+ blocks so I guess a good IR could reduce that down to 1?

• 3 months later...

Just dropped in to say thanks to all on this thread. I’ve worked my way through the whole thread and the manual and a bunch of videos, and between them, I feel like I finally have a grip on what the Stomp can do. Thanks to everyone who chipped in over the years, I have used your links and presets and IRs, if only to experiment and understand.

Still have to experiment a lot more. But for my current main purpose, recording, I have figured out at least 4 ways to get an output into my interface and another simultaneous one to my amp, plus reamping through the USB input should I wish to. This thing is crazy powerful! I feel lucky I picked up one cheapish secondhand. 

• Like 3

Sorry if this is somewhere in the previous 61 pages. I'm having trouble loading up some 3Sigma Audio presets and one of their IRs I've bought on to my HX Stomp. Their help section on the website is fairly useless. Some of the presets contain IRs that cause an error, and I have no idea how to get the IR files, loads and loads of files, loaded on to the Stomp. 

If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Sorry if this is somewhere in the previous 61 pages. I'm having trouble loading up some 3Sigma Audio presets and one of their IRs I've bought on to my HX Stomp. Their help section on the website is fairly useless. Some of the presets contain IRs that cause an error, and I have no idea how to get the IR files, loads and loads of files, loaded on to the Stomp. 

If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks

Its been a while since I did this, but IIR the Stomp doesnt work with the higher khz files, so you need to choose the lower versions.

Could be wrong though. 

• Like 1

Yesterday it was my second gig with the HX Stomp. An acoustic gig this time. I used my Jack Casady with flats and I wanted a B15 vibe. I made my own preset, but I wasn't 100% sure I liked it. I finally downloaded the SVT Super studio in the Dr Tone Labs website

SVT Super Studio

I switched the SVT amp to the B15 and made a few adjustments. It sounded incredibly good. The tone was just exactly what I wanted. However, I have to say that it's a 6-block preset for a clean sound. My original preset for clean was just 4 blocks (Comp, Little overdrive with a crossover, Amp and IR). How do you guys create a "clean" patch?

• Like 1

Use it in Bypass mode 😂.

I used to use the BDDI sim on all the time as my starting block, with just a hint of drive and Blend tuned down, and a Parametric EQ at the end of the chain. As i was going in to a rig i never saw the point of using amp and cab sims, although i admit thats what a BDDI is for anyway. Sounded very clean and punchy in a band mix. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Use it in Bypass mode 😂.

I used to use the BDDI sim on all the time as my starting block, with just a hint of drive and Blend tuned down, and a Parametric EQ at the end of the chain. As i was going in to a rig i never saw the point of using amp and cab sims, although i admit thats what a BDDI is for anyway. Sounded very clean and punchy in a band mix. 

Of course, if I use my amp, I don't use any amp in the HX. But I play ampless 90% of the time.