Al Krow

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp Owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

turn the gain right down. 

Channel volume doesn't effect tone so have that up and if it's the power amp sim adding distortion turn that down. 

I got it working with my old G&L L1000 which had a lot hotter pickups than most basses out there.

Also if the signal is coming out the compressor you don't need to change the input pad from Inst to Line do you? 

Edited by LukeFRC

28 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Also if the signal is coming out the compressor you don't need to change the input pad from Inst to Line do you? 

I think I read somewhere that switching the Stomp's input to Line works well to reduce the input gain in lieu of the input pad that the larger Helix devices have.

Just had an email from Line 6. I think 3.01 has been out a while, however the fact that there is a severely corrupted audio output issue it is addressing is worth being aware of:

" We have just released an update to version 3.0 of the Helix® and HX firmware. The 3.01 update addresses potential severely corrupted audio output. Due to this, we recommend updating your Helix or HX firmware as soon as possible."

On 06/12/2020 at 08:41, Al Krow said:

Thanks for sharing that. Apparently: "The Helix 3.01 update addresses potential severely corrupted audio output. Due to this, we recommend updating your Helix family device as soon as possible. This issue may also be experienced on Helix Native; an update for Native will be available in the very near future."

😁

I've got my Helix Stomp on pre order, should be here at the end of the month. I've been through the demos of the bass amps and I'm not seeing any "super clean" bass amp sounds. For example, my Boss GT10B (now departed) had sims for a "super flat" amp and a trace elliot. My old Fender Bronco modelling amp modelled an SWR. These are my favourite amp sounds to then layer drive etc. on top of if and when I want it. Will I be able to get "super clean" amp sounds from the Helix by lowering gain and sacking in compression? Or would I need to import third party IRs? 

58 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

😁

Which goes to prove how great my short term memory is eh? If I can't remember what I posted on here 6 weeks ago, what possible chance have I got of remembering yours from 18 months ago? 😂

58 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've got my Helix Stomp on pre order, should be here at the end of the month. I've been through the demos of the bass amps and I'm not seeing any "super clean" bass amp sounds. For example, my Boss GT10B (now departed) had sims for a "super flat" amp and a trace elliot. My old Fender Bronco modelling amp modelled an SWR. These are my favourite amp sounds to then layer drive etc. on top of if and when I want it. Will I be able to get "super clean" amp sounds from the Helix by lowering gain and sacking in compression? Or would I need to import third party IRs? 

Yes, clean sounds are easy enough to obtain, as you say turn the gain down on some models or use something like the Acoustic 360 (I think?) amp model or something like whichever Ampeg model isn't the B15 or the SVT (can't remember what model that is either :D) as it is clean and flexible. There's a ton of other tone shaping options too including various pre-amps - both pedals and from the amp models - as well as the different EQ choices, for example I got a great retro sound from my Mustang with just the Tilt EQ block with the Tube Compressor after it. 

• Thanks 1

Or use the clean tube pre amp amp setting add a bit of comp (if you like) and a bit of the parametric eq and you can tune it to suit more or less exactly the clean sound you’re after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Which goes to prove how great my short term memory is eh? If I can't remember what I posted on here 6 weeks ago, what possible chance have I got of remembering yours from 18 months ago? 😂

Nooo, ours were conversations, not just a one off discussion. It went on for months on and off 😁

Edited by dave_bass5

I'm using the Princeton amp model for some of my clean bass tones now. It sounds fab.

Yup I have also put a cab IR on a footswitch so I can darken things a touch. It’s basically a very simple eq option run in parallel on one patch. Depends what you want as an end result but it works on that patch for me.