Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Where did you hear that?

Which bit? 

The embargo? Was meant to be a light hearted footnote, but seems to have caused a certain amount of righteous indignation - lol! It's a straightforward decision in product market segmentation by Line 6 that makes very good commercial sense from their perspective. 

Same processor capacity in Stomp and HX Effects? I thought that was relatively well known. But happy to be corrected if that's not accurate. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Which bit? 

The embargo? Was meant to be a lighthearted footnote, but seems to have caused righteous indignation - lol! It's a simple commercial decision in product market segmentation by Line 6 that makes completely good sense. 

Same processor capacity in Stomp and HX Effects? I thought that was relatively well known. But happy to be corrected if that's not accurate. 

Sorry, yeah, the DSP bit. I always thought they were different but never really looked in to it. Just interested really. I know the POD GO uses a different one, just wondering how they all compare. 

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, yeah, the DSP bit. I always thought they were different but never really looked in to it. Just interested really. I know the POD GO uses a different one, just wondering how they all compare. 

So what I've been able to find from the net, which confirms what I had understood, is that in terms of DSP Processor(s):

Helix Floor, Rack and LT all have 2x SHARC ADSP-21469 @ 450 MHz 

HX Effects and Stomp both have 1x SHARC ADSP-21469 @ 450 MHz

Stomp was given three fewer effects blocks than Effects because it had amp and cab sims which are DSP hungry, so that users didn't find themselves running out of DSP when trying to fill the blocks (although some TB'ers were finding that they were on occasion struggling with > 4 blocks on Stomp)

My light hearted quip which seems to have earned the wrath of some (lol) is that given Line 6 have just increased the number of blocks available to Stomp users to almost the same number available on HX Effects, it would be a nice quid pro quo if they also made amp and cab sims available to HX Effects users. For obvious commercial reasons  i.e. product segmentation, I appreciate they are not going to. 

• Thanks 1

Neither wrath nor indignation just different SKU’s much like the Pod’s and M Series effects which came before them only they were more obviously different units marketed at the differing needs of players; the ‘all in one unit’ players and the ‘happy with their amp’ players who just wanted decent multi fx.

There have been numerous threads where the virtues and flaws of both have been exhaustively discussed and we’ve both commented similarly on them. I don’t think the addition of extra blocks will be a deal breaker on the stomp for many folk considering the payoff of what one might realistically be able to use in those blocks due to the processing requirements but the HXFX could find itself struggling equally with potentially a perceived ‘loss of blocks’ if the amp/cab sims were available in future updates especially if being used along with poly pitch effects. Having 9 blocks drop to 5 or 6 might appear to be a backwards step! Again it’s a trade off and Line 6 made the call to divest some users of amp/cab modelling a long time ago with no obvious consequences and appear to have successfully appealed to  both camps. Sure newer tech nips ahead but that’s just the nature of the game. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So what I've been able to find from the net, which confirms what I had understood, is that in terms of DSP Processor(s):

Helix Floor, Rack and LT all have 2x SHARC ADSP-21469 @ 450 MHz 

HX Effects and Stomp both have 1x SHARC ADSP-21469 @ 450 MHz

Thanks, good info. 

Welcome. I think I read recently someone had just upgraded their Helix to a LT and found it to be a decent step up. Kinda makes very good sense in terms of additional DSP and blocks available and provides a true "pedalboard" alternative. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Welcome. I think I read recently someone had just upgraded their Helix to a LT and found it to be a decent step up. Kinda makes very good sense in terms of additional DSP and blocks available and provides a true "pedalboard" alternative. 

I really think as a bass player if you need that many effect blocks you are playing the wrong instrument lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Welcome. I think I read recently someone had just upgraded their Helix to a LT and found it to be a decent step up. 

Upgraded their helix to an LT? Isn't that a downgrade or did you mean a stomp?

I got a LT cheap for a while but went back to my HX Effects. Sold it for more that I got it for though, which is good. If I had been a guitarist I fully FRFR would have probably kept it though.

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I really think as a bass player if you need that many effect blocks you are playing the wrong instrument lol. 

Haha!

Or perhaps equally true that you maybe have greater sonic imagination than your average bass player? Like this chap who is not atypical of pedal board users...

image.png.3121cf7571d74c7da88c53a82494c5a3.png

Or this one? (Who I know has a great deal more creative juices running through his veins than your average chappy!)

image.png.9d3a248e824fbd3ce2a68c57364e62db.png

And there's an equally well trodden case that you don't need any pedals at all!

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Upgraded their helix to an LT? Isn't that a downgrade or did you mean a stomp?

I got a LT cheap for a while but went back to my HX Effects. Sold it for more that I got it for though, which is good. If I had been a guitarist I fully FRFR would have probably kept it though.

Yeah I was referring to Helix generically rather than specifically to the Helix Floor (or Rack). Can't remember whether he had a Stomp or HX Effects previously.

Have you felt limited by HX Effect's DSP vs the LT's at any point?

Edited by Al Krow

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well no one can accuse you of saying one thing and doing another since you literally became a keys player! 😀

15 minutes ago, krispn said:

Well no one can accuse you of saying one thing and doing another since you literally became a keys player! 😀

He's still got my old Yamaha BB 425 which I want to buy back off him (as do several others apparently!) 😁

55 minutes ago, krispn said:

Haha, and I still never used more than 6 blocks in my HFX. 
I think it’s very easy to get things out of perspective on here. It seems to be a ‘you can’ rather than ‘you will’ a lot of the time. I just don’t get the ‘must have’ when in reality you won’t, ever. 

EDIT: That seems a bit judgmental, it wast supposed to be. I have nothing against  having more, i just think its easy to go over the top and then never use most of it. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Have you felt limited by HX Effect's DSP vs the LT's at any point?

Nope, never had an issue with it, the HX has enough for what I want to do. Without needing the amp / cab stuff there is enough in there for everything I want. If I was performing with the Chapman stick, then I would probably want to go back to a Helix as that would be two processing paths, but that isn't going to happen any time soon 

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Nope, never had an issue with it, the HX has enough for what I want to do. Without needing the amp / cab stuff there is enough in there for everything I want. If I was performing with the Chapman stick, then I would probably want to go back to a Helix as that would be two processing paths, but that isn't going to happen any time soon 

Light hearted quips aside - I'm in exactly the same boat. Very happy with my actual amp and cab so don't really need those particular DSP hungry sims (although more is always a "nice to have" to muck about with and try out!) and very appreciative of being able to set the HX Effects up as a series of pedal boards comprising 6 pedals and a stomp switch for each.

The one thing that would be really nice would be the recently introduced metering on the Floor / Rack / LT also being available on the Stomp and HX Effects.

16 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have nothing against having more, i just think its easy to go over the top and then never use most of it. 

Yup one bass, a lead and an amp & cab. Job done.

No question that the last decade on Basschat thinking about gear was not very utilitarian was it?

Now remind me exactly how many drive pedals you've been through? 😁 

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Light hearted quips aside - I'm in exactly the same boat. Very happy with my actual amp and cab so don't really need those particular DSP hungry sims (although more is always a "nice to have" to muck about with and try out!) and very appreciative of being able to set the HX Effects up as a series of pedal boards comprising 6 pedals and a stomp switch for each.

The one thing that would be really nice would be the recently introduced metering on the Floor / Rack / LT also being available on the Stomp and HX Effects.

Same here. The only reason my Stomp out lasted my HFX was for home playing, where its a bit easier to use with headphones. Thats the only time i used an amp sim, and even then by the end i was pretty much using the BDDI sim instead. 

I would have liked a LT, but like the Pod go it has the expression pedal on it, and i would never use it. Yes, i could have just not used it, but its sitting  there making the board larger than it would need to be without it. 

Just now, Al Krow said:

Yup one bass, a lead and an amp & cab. Job done.

No question that the last decade on Basschat thinking about gear was not very utilitarian was it?

Now remind me exactly how many drive pedals you've been through? 😁 

Been through, but never used all at once 😁. In fact never more than one on my board (plus a preamp sometimes) at any one time, and this was on an almost weekly rotation until i stopped. 

More is good, not knocking that at all, and i do believe bass sounds more in testing with an effect or 2, but more then you would ever need and calling it a negative.....just silly.