Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

That interesting - I hated my real BDDI! :D 

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Me too - maybe it's a just a MB, DG M900, BF cab user thing? 😁 

But apparently if you dial it in using a very specific approach it can work really well. @Lozz196 shared the magic formula on another thread, but I can't for the life of me find it now!

Yeah essentially it was our producer who showed me that, get 100% of the sound you want from your bass & amp, then, with all controls on the BDDI at midday aside from blend, switch it on, then adjust the blend to suit. I’d tried over the years to get the sound solely from the pedal itself, with amp set flat and couldn’t get there, using it this way worked a treat.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah thinking about it, that's a pretty standard approach, right? Although according to Mr Bass5 the blend knob is the key.

Was far too polite for my liking, a bit like having a curry with no chilli. Its sibling, the VTDI, has far more bite. But I can tell from my general direction of travel over the past half decade, definitely going from civilised to increasingly heathen! 

Depends on the pedal and how the controls interact but yeah all knobs at noon is often a good starting point. I know on the Tone Hammer with the AGS side engaged it wasn't quite so straight forward but nowhere in the manual did it really give tips on how to get different tones which would be handy. Still one of my favourite bass pre-amps though as it 'can' do the Ampeg thing bit isn't limited to only that sound. The BDDI wasn't really my thing and I opted for the MXR M80 back in the day!

I think they T21's are different pedals with different end goals and not really meant to sound alike.

29 minutes ago, krispn said:

...I think they T21's are different pedals with different end goals and not really meant to sound alike.

for sure.

29 minutes ago, krispn said:

The BDDI wasn't really my thing and I opted for the MXR M80 back in the day!

Can you recall what it was about the BDDI that didn't cut the mustard (or chilli powder) in your case?

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

That interesting - I hated my real BDDI! :D 

Me too. And the VT Bass. I desperately wanted to like both but couldn't get on with either. 

But the dUg Pinnick pedal was awesome. 

• Like 1

Anyway, back to (Helix) business. 

I watched the whole of that video, and its quite interesting  about the Stomp only having 6 blocks. Apparently they could have put more in, but then that dilutes the amount of processing power. They decided that as it was a new device they didnt want people complaining it wasn’t powerful enough. Now its been out a while they are letting owners make thier own decision on how many blocks  to use, so going to up it to 8. Looks like V3.0 is going to be a very big update. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Anyway, back to (Helix) business. 

I watched the whole of that video, and its quite interesting  about the Stomp only having 6 blocks. Apparently they could have put more in, but then that dilutes the amount of processing power. They decided that as it was a new device they didnt want people complaining it wasn’t powerful enough. Now its been out a while they are letting owners make thier own decision on how many blocks  to use, so going to up it to 8. Looks like V3.0 is going to be a very big update. 

The latest update was supposed to have the 8 blocks wasn't it. I wonder if they rushed out the latest updated with the compressor for everyone stuck at home and moved the "more blocks" to the next one. 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

The latest update was supposed to have the 8 blocks wasn't it. I wonder if they rushed out the latest updated with the compressor for everyone stuck at home and moved the "more blocks" to the next one. 

Nope. 8 blocks was never slated for 2.9.

7 minutes ago, stoo said:

Nope. 8 blocks was never slated for 2.9.

Yep, it was just a rumour  that some put round on TB Because they miss understood what was happening. I think it was mentioned around the time the 2.9 press reuse was put out, that 8 blocks would be available in the future, but some took it to mean with the next update. One or two people posted that and it spread. 

Edited by dave_bass5

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep, it was just a rumour  that some put round on TB Because they miss understood what was happening. I think it was mentioned around the time the 2.9 press reuse was put out, that 8 blocks would be available in the future, but some took it to mean with the next update. One or two people posted that and it spread. 

That would never happen on BC😀

• Haha 2

Synth Patch (do try this at home!)

A couple of you have mentioned you're on the look out for a synth pedal for use on a couple of tracks. I've pulled this together on HFX - IMO it's usable (without being amazing). Based on classic: octave -> fuzz -> filter approach:

Rochester Comp --> Simple Pitch [1] --> Valve Driver --> Autofilter [2] --> Low cut at 30Hz

[1] pitch shift set at -12 i.e. octave down. Mix only at 40% to give a touch of octave to fatten without giving rise to mush.

[2] low pass, up-sweep, short attack but long (1.0s) decay.

If you try it out, let me know what you think.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thanks Bas. I’ll give it a go tomorrow. Never tried to getting a synth patch with Helix before. 

Excellent - I suspect it will do as good a job and definitely be less glitchy than the Boss SYB-5 on that you YT clip you found. Although tbf, that was a nice little vid of various songs where a synth pedal could work well.

• Like 1