Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Without meaning to be patronising, have you increased the USB gain using the trim setting in global settings?

... when using the Apple Camera kit I’ve had to turn down the USB 1/2 trim as it was way too loud compared to my bass (ow set at -20 db). However need to look at some of the suggested options, cheers.

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Has your USB audio interface not got a gain stage, or in fact use a USB audio interface between the stomp and the DAW.

Isnt sometimes mixing at very low gain way better practically? Easier to take a low signal, balance and crank rather than take a hot signal down?

.... I’m trying to use GarageBand as the DAW on my iPhone. I’ve got a laptop and Reaper but want a super simple solution for recording when practicing.

8 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

... when using the Apple Camera kit I’ve had to turn down the USB 1/2 trim as it was way too loud compared to my bass (ow set at -20 db). However need to look at some of the suggested options, cheers.

I found all my patches in the Stomp are set to 0db output. This is fine for my rig and headphone practice, but upping the gain to around +5db or so made a huge difference to the way my iPad would record the input. I don’t think there is any real reason I need to back this off for using with my rig, but I do. 

Edited by dave_bass5

16 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

.... I’m trying to use GarageBand as the DAW on my iPhone. I’ve got a laptop and Reaper but want a super simple solution for recording when practicing.

I am lucky in having a couple of Focusrite’s. The iTrack One is tiny and amazing at its job. I also have an iRig so that gain stages - as others have mentioned you maybe be able to control the output

30 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I am lucky in having a couple of Focusrite’s. The iTrack One is tiny and amazing at its job. I also have an iRig so that gain stages - as others have mentioned you maybe be able to control the output

I’ve used my Focusrite with my iPad. Works fine, but it takes a lot more leads and boxes compared to just going straight through the Stomp. As I’m only going to record guitar and bass this works better for me.

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’ve used my Focusrite with my iPad. Works fine, but it takes a lot more leads and boxes compared to just going straight through the Stomp. As I’m only going to record guitar and bass this works better for me.

Agreed, i often go bass straight to an interface and iPad/computer, and the iTrack One is not really anymore faff and can sit in between any pedal and the iPad 

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Agreed, i often go bass straight to an interface and iPad/computer, and the iTrack One is not really anymore faff and can sit in between any pedal and the iPad 

Are you using a 2018-200 iPad Pro? I was thinking of getting the Scarlett Solo but don’t want to have to use a PSU for it. I have to do this via a hub with my old 2i4 (I’ve been saying it’s a 2i2 but recently realised it’s a 2i4). Pretty sure the 3rd gen Solo also needs the power as well though so may just stick with Bass-Stomp-ipad.

Edited by dave_bass5

34 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

IPad Pro probably before 2018, in fact probably is.

I have the Scarlett 18i8 but i snaffled  the iTrack One Pre when they were being sold for stupid money at £20 in the last year. That was life changing, it’s smaller than a Rubiks cube

Cheers. I think I’ll stick with the Stomp, especially as I’d use it for bass and Guitar anyway. I have an iRig HD sitting at work, but I’ve since changed my iPad so have no use for it. 

I’ve just been reading that Logic Pro and FCPX will be arriving on the iPad Pro sometime in the next yearly two.  That will be a game changer IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

The irig should have the necessary adapter, but as you say the stomp should do what you want and that’s good news on Logic

I don’t recall it coming with a USB-C cable, only Lightning and micro USB IIR. 
But yeah, the Stomp is the way to go for now. 

I upgraded to 2.9 completely painlessly. 

The new tuner operation is great. Means the tuner is a decent live tool now. Very simple stuff but really makes a world of difference. 

I like the Alpaca Rouge a lot as well. Simply running it without any dynamics or amp/cab sims sounds very nice with my Sei J that’s relatively low output (for an active bass). Adding the SVT Pro4 sounded nice with this bass as well. 

Need to work more on the new compressor but it’s getting good reviews and I’ve seen some settings to try so will get on those tomorrow morning :)

• Like 1

I've not played with my HXFX for a while but got it out yesterday to run the upgrade. All seems to have worked ok.

A question I've been meaning to ask the BC collective for a while, which is the best/favoured Envelope Filter on the FX?

2 hours ago, Higgie said:

The Autofilter does it for me. Has the most controls so you can really tweak the response of the filter

Thanks for that. Any tips on settings for someone who doesn't have a clue would be gladly accepted. 😁

Be interested to get @GisserD's thoughts on the Helix filter patches and whether this one, in particular, is any good as he's a bit of an expert filter fanboi and has been through a lot of the top filters in his day. Wonder how well this stacks up against his favourite, the MXR BEF or indeed mine - the 3Leaf GR2, I'll see if I can feed back when I've had a chance to audition.

3 hours ago, Higgie said:

The Autofilter does it for me. Has the most controls so you can really tweak the response of the filter

Higgie - what setting have you got your on? That would be good starting point! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

If someone upgraded from a HX stomp to the LT - big downside is it’s massive

positives are.... ?

Expression pedal, lots more knobs, bigger display, 2 x the DSP and no artificial limits, and it makes you look generally cooler, more attractive to women and much more of a rock star.

There may be some bias in that answer somewhere

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

...and it makes you look generally cooler, more attractive to women and much more of a rock star.

When you get to our stage in life, Woody, we need all the help we can get, right? 

Somewhat surprised, given these advantages, that you are even considering letting yours go 😁