Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

12 minutes ago, tonyclaret said:

Glad you have sussed it out, I ain't dialled any filters that work well in a live situation so far. 🤔

Hi Tony - try this for size.  It's a very basic patch, and I'm sure can be improved on, but already works well with for me with a Yammy BB1025 on P pup setting.

Filter - TronUp I.jpg

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That’s actually one of the older legacy effects as well! From the M-series. I enjoyed the Tron Up when I had my M5 so not surprised you’ve settled on it too @Al Krow

Are you saying I'm old fashioned and behind the times in my thinking?!!

Tbf you've probably got a point: anyone who's currently playing 50s and 60s sets (I've just been trying out a semi-walking bass line to Etta's 'At Last') can't really pretend to be 'cutting edge' can they?

Although I do have a Helix Stomp... 😂

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Are you saying I'm old fashioned and behind the times in my thinking?!!

Tbf you've probably got a point: anyone who's currently playing 50s and 60s sets (I've just been trying out a semi-walking bass line to Etta's 'At Last') can't really pretend to be 'cutting edge' can they?

Although I do have a Helix Stomp... 😂

I actually think Tron Up sounds good and is easier to dial in a good tone quickly than some of the newer “Helix-grade” filter blocks. The newer ones have a greater number of parameters, which makes it much easier to mess a patch up!

14 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

No comment :ph34r: haha!

On a more serious note - if you (or anyone else) has put together a killer filter patch, that improves on the TronUp, then please do share

The Mutron is a great squelch and there's good reason it's been enduringly popular.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

On a more serious note - if you (or anyone else) has put together a killer filter patch, that improves on the TronUp, then please do share

The Mutron is a great squelch and there's good reason it's been enduringly popular.

Last time I sat down to tweak at length I was working on a filter preset using one of the newer blocks. Still a work in progress but if/when I dial it in I’ll share the parameters

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Took the HX (which I haven't been using much) to a friends house tonight to see what we can do with some kind of weird busking ambient / prog thing. I hadn't used the looper on this before, and I am not good with loopers, but how good is the looper on it? Answer, very good. I guess I couldn't use one before because they are all hard to use, one button doing multiple things make them useless to me. But you can start looping, go back to the patch and apply effects, and loop with effects etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Yep! I believe can even change patches with the looper continuing to play in the background - as long as the patch you’re switching to also contains a looper block!

Yep, i was more than impressed, especially as I had just mentioned to the person playing that I was useless with a looper, and having said that they asked if the helix was the one I was most comfortable with, pointed out I had never used it before. It even plays it backwards.

• Like 1

anybody got a list of the full effects, pre amps, amp models, Bass specific, just ordered a stomp model, and wondered what was available.

also is the device fully by passable when no effects are in use, i had a Zoom B3n and although that was quite good it was not fully by passable or transparent and sucked all the natural bass tone away. I am hoping the Helix adds to the natural flavor.

2 hours ago, Rollin Thunder said:

anybody got a list of the full effects, pre amps, amp models, Bass specific, just ordered a stomp model, and wondered what was available.

also is the device fully by passable when no effects are in use, i had a Zoom B3n and although that was quite good it was not fully by passable or transparent and sucked all the natural bass tone away. I am hoping the Helix adds to the natural flavor.

Go to https://uk.line6.com/software/

click on Downloads at the top, then go to HX Stomp in the Hardware pulldown menu. the list of all effects is pages 19 to 27.

You can bypass HX Effects (which I have) so I'm guessing you can on the Stomp.

3 hours ago, Rollin Thunder said:

also is the device fully by passable when no effects are in use, 

Yep, from the stomp manual:
"There are two types of All Bypass in HX Stomp: Analog bypass (sometimes called "true bypass"), where mechanically switching relays route your signal directly from the inputs to the outputs with no processing or A/D/A conversion, and DSP bypass, where any delay echoes and reverb tails decay naturally. By default, HX Stomp is set for Analog bypass, but this behavior can be set from "Global Settings > Preferences"."

I use the analog / relay / true-bypass, and setup my patches so that the output volume is the same as when the analog bypass is engaged. If 'someone' trips on your power supply and pulls the connector out of the Stomp, the pedal powers down and goes into the hard-bypass mode, at which point you want to be sure that your volume is at the same level as the patch you were using, and the show can carry on.

Edited by OzMike

How would you guys rate the Helix with drive pedals in front? Do they play nice?

I kinda want a HX Stomp for myself... but would quite like to try and convince the guitarist in one of my bands to ditch his amp to help work towards the silent stage I'm aiming to achieve. Thing is, he has a load of pedals that I know he won't give up. I'd like to use the HX for myself... and then try and get him to do a gig or two on it himself...

I've used the Helix a fair bit in the past... but never with external pedals.

I've tried it with Helix floor but only with a Tubescreamer and a B3K.  I ditched the pedals in the end as the ones in the Helix were more than good enough. The floor has four send/return loops so the options for connecting external pedals (or external anything) are huge. 

I'm not sure how well the Stomp could handle it but from a Floor point of view you could get your guitarist to A/B his current pedals against the inbuilt models, even blending the signals to compare, to see what he thinks. Then you sell him 'Snapshots' and effects trails....... 

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I've tried it with Helix floor but only with a Tubescreamer and a B3K.  I ditched the pedals in the end as the ones in the Helix were more than good enough. The floor has four send/return loops so the options for connecting external pedals (or external anything) are huge. 

I'm not sure how well the Stomp could handle it but from a Floor point of view you could get your guitarist to A/B his current pedals against the inbuilt models, even blending the signals to compare, to see what he thinks. Then you sell him 'Snapshots' and effects trails....... 

He has a collection of boutiquey stuff that I know he will not give up. Guitarists for you... always the last to embrace change. Realistically, all I want is a silent amp on stage... and I don't want to hump around a big isolation box to put an amp into either! The Helix just seems to be the obvious fix to be on his pedal board. 

I sometimes run a couple of pedals in the loops of my Stomp. They work just fine. As much as I like to hear them, it's extra stuff to cart around, and I'm getting great results with just the Stomp by itself. I'll still use pedals from time to time, but not for most gigs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Muppet said:

by the way, the only 'real' effect I still have in the loop is my Future Impact.  Line6 haven't quite nailed the filters yet......!

I assume the correct method is bass- FI- Helix?

2 minutes ago, mr zed said:

I assume the correct method is bass- FI- Helix?

With the flexibility in the helix you can put it in any order. I actually put it in an effects loop and move it around to suit. 

• Thanks 2

When I was researching the Stomp  I came across some information from someone from Line 6 on their community forum. Basically they said that because of the way the tech inside the Stomp works that it will generate heat and get warm and not to worry about it.

I'm guessing the same is true for the HX.

As long as it's not so hot that it's uncomfortable to touch I reckon it'll be fine.

44 minutes ago, Cato said:

When I was researching the Stomp  I came across some information from someone from Line 6 on their community forum. Basically they said that because of the way the tech inside the Stomp works that it will generate heat and get warm and not to worry about it.

Oh not the HX, the power supply!