Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

On 05/09/2021 at 14:46, LukeFRC said:

Also - try amp blocks on own without cab. Some of the cab sims sound mushy ;)

This.  I don't enjoy the cab blocks at all.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I find a simple eq block works much better for bass IMHO. Just a simple high and low cut around 5khz and 55hz respectively bring an frfr speaker into typical bass cab territory. It's also more representative of sending a traditional DI to the FOH from an amp head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Hi HX Stompers ,

The volume control on the unit just stopped working , anyone else had this problem .

Re set factory , now OK , lucky I had saved my settings

Pete

There is a setting that disables it other than for the headphone out. Maybe you set that by mistake?

19 hours ago, acidbass said:

If any of you guys have your Stomp mounted to a Pedaltrain Nano+ board, here's a great hardcase to protect your investment:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-silver-with-foam-insert-l550xw220xh175mm

Excellent, do you have any photos of the nano in it? (lid open please! 😁

On 14/07/2021 at 23:08, el borracho said:

During lockdown I sold off all my effects as I hadn't needed them in years. Predictably I have now joined a band where I need effects & Line 6 looks like way to go.

Got a problem though - I'm having issues at the minute with my vision - it's a passing phase until I probably need varifocals. I wear reading glasses & can see very little close up without them - distance is OK but between 3-5 feet it's pretty blurry -  not good when using pedals!!

Does anyone have similar experiences & could advise which is the best re clarity? The Stomp display looks to be a decent size whereas the Effects displays possibly too small. Most probably can't help as you can see them OK!

The problem should be resolved when my next optician's visit is due but currently is a real pain. I can't even make out my amp settings & struggle seeing the fret dots on maple neck basses! I can't play with the reading glasses on as I can't see beyond 2-3 feet & they make the neck appear bent!   Aarghh - hate getting old 😬

I asked this question a couple of months back and got some very helpful advice - cheers guys.

After much thought I decided I didn't need the amp models so went for the Effects. I'm really happy with it & on a steep learning curve. My fears over being unable to read the displays were completely unfounded - I can see them no problem. 

As I had a gig coming up I initially set it up as 6 individual stomp boxes. Now that's out of the way it's time to start experimenting with the snapshots!

• Like 1

On 13/09/2021 at 10:08, el borracho said:

I asked this question a couple of months back and got some very helpful advice - cheers guys.

After much thought I decided I didn't need the amp models so went for the Effects. I'm really happy with it & on a steep learning curve. My fears over being unable to read the displays were completely unfounded - I can see them no problem. 

As I had a gig coming up I initially set it up as 6 individual stomp boxes. Now that's out of the way it's time to start experimenting with the snapshots!

I too wear glasses but I’m not as optically challenged as your good self. That said, there are occasions that I find the helix screen near impossible to see, mainly outdoors in daylight. 

I’ve been considering it a while, but as I use BandHelper, I really ought to play with its midi features. This way, choosing a song on my easier to read tablet would automatically load the correct preset and/or snapshot. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69

Bought a Cioks DC7 and mounted it underneath my Pedaltrain Nano+ to power the HX Stomp. Hours of geeky pedalboard laying out and cable management, took her to a big gig at the weekend in front of 6,000 and...nothing! The power supply didn't power up! Luckily I had brought the HX Stomp supply along with me, but hugely disappointed in the Cioks. I have asked for a replacement in case it's just that particular one that was faulty. And no, I didn't test it before I went to the gig lol, I just assumed a £200 power supply would work out of the box!

5 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Bought a Cioks DC7 and mounted it underneath my Pedaltrain Nano+ to power the HX Stomp. Hours of geeky pedalboard laying out and cable management, took her to a big gig at the weekend in front of 6,000 and...nothing! The power supply didn't power up! Luckily I had brought the HX Stomp supply along with me, but hugely disappointed in the Cioks. I have asked for a replacement in case it's just that particular one that was faulty. And no, I didn't test it before I went to the gig lol, I just assumed a £200 power supply would work out of the box!

Downer! Now there's less time pressure can you troubleshoot? 

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Question. With the stomp and stomp xl, can you send the 2 outputs signals with different settings? E.g. left, to stage monitor with global eq, line level, and right output to FOH no global eq, instrument level.

I do this with my helix LT via 1/4” and xlr, but I’m seriously considering downsizing. 

Everything except the global eq is possible. Global affects both outputs IIRC

10 hours ago, Higgie said:

Everything except the global eq is possible. Global affects both outputs IIRC

Damn. That's crucial to how I set my signal path up. I'll have to have a rethink. I did check the pdf manuals online and couldn't see anything confirming if it was possible. Perhaps I'll submit is as a request in ideascale.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Damn. That's crucial to how I set my signal path up. I'll have to have a rethink. I did check the pdf manuals online and couldn't see anything confirming if it was possible. Perhaps I'll submit is as a request in ideascale.

I wonder if you would be able to use a send block on one path to send one signal out of the FX loop send. Not sure if that can be configured differently to the main outs, but it might be an option. 

17 hours ago, acidbass said:

...took her to a big gig at the weekend in front of 6,000 and...

Downer about the Ciocks - they're usually considered to be very reliable and the two I had (before replacing with my cheap and cheerful Harley Benton IsoPro PSUs) never gave me any trouble, so that does sound like a bit of bad luck.

The bit that particularly caught my eye about your post was you playing in front of a crowd of 6,000 - fantastic! Was that at a festival and are you guys regularly playing to such big crowds?

Just now, Al Krow said:

Downer about the Ciocks - they're usually considered to be very reliable and the two I had (before replacing with my cheap and cheerful Harley Benton IsoPro PSUs) never gave me any trouble, so that does sound like a bit of bad luck.

The bit that particularly caught my eye about your post was you playing in front of a crowd of 6,000 - fantastic! Was that at a festival and are you guys regularly playing to such big crowds?

Thanks for your kind words!  It was really enjoyable.  Yes, it was a festival in a city called Derry over here in Norn Iron.  Since gigs restarted we have done outdoors only with crowds varying between 1-6,000.  Pretty fun!  Here's a pic:

donk.jpg

• Like 2

@acidbass that's absolutely brilliant! At the end of the day what you were doing over the weekend - playing live to such an appreciative crowd - is pretty much what it's all about as far I'm concerned! Any links to your band? 

(And just to keep it vaguely on topic - what particular fx are you using your Stomp for? 😄)

Edited by Al Krow

30 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Thanks for your kind words!  It was really enjoyable.  Yes, it was a festival in a city called Derry over here in Norn Iron.  Since gigs restarted we have done outdoors only with crowds varying between 1-6,000.  Pretty fun!  Here's a pic:

donk.jpg

@acidbassThat’s not the Whistling Donkeys from Tyrone is it?

Edited by krispn

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@acidbass that's absolutely brilliant! At the end of the day what you were doing over the weekend - playing live to such an appreciative crowd - is pretty much what it's all about as far I'm concerned! Any links to your band? 

(And just to keep it vaguely on topic - what particular fx are you using your Stomp for? 😄)

I'll PM you some links :)

I use the Stomp for most of my tone really!

- High Cut and Low Cut EQ block (7khz and 50hz respectively

- Rochester Comp set to 4:1 ratio

- Zeroamp at about 50% blend, presence and drive quite high

Then various other effects that are song-dependent, such as the legacy Bass Octaver or 70s Chorus!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acidbass said:

It is yes! Are you familiar?

Aye the Mandela Hall gig is a solid live album must have been a good nights craic doing that one! 

I’m from Tyrone originally (Coalisland) but live in Edinburgh (ish) now. You guys planning on having a big St. Patricks day gig this year?

22 hours ago, acidbass said:

And no, I didn't test it before I went to the gig lol, I just assumed a £200 power supply would work out of the box!

Im shocked no one has commented on this. Thats what i call living on the edge lol.

I really cant get my head around this. Stomp aside, with new wiring etc it seems really odd not to at least check you have a signal at the end of the chain. 

Not having a go, just shocked. Glad you got through the gig anyway. I used to use a pretty similar Stomp patch to you as my always on. Just didn't bother with the high cut filter. I had this as my alway on, with a low drive, and then on a foot switch i had the Stomp up the gain and lower the volume on the same block to keep the level even when more drive is added. 

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches