Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

21 minutes ago, Jack said:

Sadly nothing on the headphones, nor on the stereo right output.

Never used it before, but I did check and nope, nothing. It was set to just control phones volume anyway.

Been back to June with 3 different backups and nothing now.

Thank you for the help all, but I'm actually beginning to wonder if it's hardware failiure...

It's probably not what you want to hear but I did have a Stomp fail on me a couple of years ago. The volume on mine was intermittent for a couple of hours before it finally crapped out, it also got really hot too. At the time it was only a few months old and still under warranty and Line 6 did replace it for a brand new one, although it took a couple of weeks. The replacement has been faultless ever since.  If you're still covered by the warranty then obviously push for a replacement (apparently you do not have to accept a repair, legally). If not...

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, flippyfloop said:

Hi all,

New happy owner of the HX Effects.

Just curious which compressor you guys recommend ?

Any other tips and tricks would be much appreciated. 

Cheers 

I’m using the LA2A clone as a limiter for recording. It works well. I like both this and the Rochester as compressors, although the Rochester is not actually great at limiting in my experience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

There is a large thread on here full of tips and tricks. I’ll see if I can find the link 😂

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

LA studio comp is my favourite, seems to add punch and is quite good at keeping the sound well defined. 

• Like 1

My Stomp PSU crapped out mid set at a wedding last night. On inspection it seems that the issue is the 3 pin clip on part, as something is rattling around inside it. 
GAK sell the PSU for a reasonable price, but will only ship the to Isle of Wight orders of £140+. 
Line 6 were very unhelpful when contacted. 
Does anybody have the 3 pin bit they no longer use and would sell, or the whole DC3 PSU? Please PM me if you do!

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

That PSUbos a bit of a liability. They would have been better just doing a plug for each region rather than that clippy attachment stuff. 

Problem is the design is just good enough that I can see how it would have got passed... but not good enough when 1000's of musicians are using them.
The expensive answer is probably a 3rd party power supply. on a pedal board, but it seems overkill when it's the only pedal I'm currently using. (mind you I could then have a midi controller next to it? hmm

30 minutes ago, M@23 said:

My Stomp PSU crapped out mid set at a wedding last night. On inspection it seems that the issue is the 3 pin clip on part, as something is rattling around inside it. 
GAK sell the PSU for a reasonable price, but will only ship the to Isle of Wight orders of £140+. 
Line 6 were very unhelpful when contacted. 
Does anybody have the 3 pin bit they no longer use and would sell, or the whole DC3 PSU? Please PM me if you do!

Ouch!! Really sorry to hear that. Hopefully you managed to sort something out without breaking the flow too much?

One of the mods recently shared a tale of woe about his Stomp, too: "Re the Stomp, what a journey  …. Power supply issues, freezing up, tone suck. Maybe just coincidence, but I do not trust it anymore. Several crappy moments during gigs."

It's obviously a fantastic box of tricks and maybe suffers more wear and tear than other pedals as it gets so much use as an 'always on' pedal and by so many BC'ers. Maybe stories of breakdown are therefore statistically no worse than any other piece of kit. But equally I guess worth having a back up / plan B if you're using a Stomp for live work.

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Doesn't seem unreasonable. £3 for shipping, £137 to get on the ferry...

To be honest, that is pretty much what the ferry costs if you’re not on foot! Annoying though, as GAK have always shipped here. It’s very rare that we have to pay extra.

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ouch!! Really sorry to hear that. Hopefully you managed to sort something out without breaking the flow too much?

One of the mods recently shared a tale of woe about his Stomp, too: "Re the Stomp, what a journey  …. Power supply issues, freezing up, tone suck. Maybe just coincidence, but I do not trust it anymore. Several crappy moments during gigs."

It's obviously a fantastic box of tricks and maybe suffers more wear and tear than other pedals as it gets so much use as an 'always on' pedal and by so many BC'ers. Maybe stories of breakdown are therefore statistically no worse than any other piece of kit. But equally I guess worth having a back up / plan B if you're using a Stomp for live work.

Yeah all was fine thanks, there’s plenty of backup options to get out of a jam. I’m surprised by how little Line 6 are interested though. 
Their service centre have just advised that the country adapters aren’t available separately. GAK only charge £25 for a new one, which is fine, but they won’t post to me. I’m reluctant to pay £50 for one though, which is what everyone else charges. 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I hadn’t even checked. Have you tried one, is it safe to trust that it’s all sound and does put out the 3A it says it does? Thanks, I think I thought it L6 used an unusual sized barrel and that nobody would offer a 3rd party. 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

That PSUbos a bit of a liability. They would have been better just doing a plug for each region rather than that clippy attachment stuff. 

Yeah, it’s a bit cheap. I know others hate the PSU, I’d always thought it to be fine and have done tons of gigs with it. 
Now I want to burn the thing!

9 minutes ago, M@23 said:

To be honest, that is pretty much what the ferry costs if you’re not on foot! Annoying though, as GAK have always shipped here. It’s very rare that we have to pay extra.

I'm sure that's something we can sort out for you eg I'd be happy to post it on if GAK won't post to IoW. I presume Royal Mail don't charge any extra to post to IoW vs mainland? 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, M@23 said:

I hadn’t even checked. Have you tried one, is it safe to trust that it’s all sound and does put out the 3A it says it does? Thanks, I think I thought it L6 used an unusual sized barrel and that nobody would offer a 3rd party. 

Ive not used it myself, just looked up going by the specs. Its been mentioned in here that the Helix doesn’t actually need all that power, others are using less to drive them (like on pedalboards).

I believe L6 said they wanted to use a larger plug so people don't go plugging in lesser PSU’s. There is no really need to have it that other other than this reason. 

Ive used an extension lead connected to my one (when i had it), so the barrels are standard, just not standard in the music industry. Think it was a CCTV power cable extender i got. 

• Thanks 1

The Stomp has a current draw of less than 900mA

..... So I used a current doubler (not voltage doubler! ) cable running from two 500mA outputs of a normal power block (harley benton) and a  barrel size convertor. All worked fine and does away with the need to use the line 6 power supply. 

• Thanks 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches