Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

4 hours ago, krispn said:

Footswitch mode if he’s just using the stomp to active an effect like he would on the FX all he needs to do is assign it to a footswitch. Multiple effect can be assigned to one switch so he could have pitch and octave on one switch or any thing he wants. A link to the manual might be useful. 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Apologies to your mate I though I'd posted my initial answer to the question with the explanation, how multiple effects could be assigned to one foot switch i.e. octave and filter etc... I can always go back and edit it in later.

Oh  I did actually explain that it could be done

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:52, Al Krow said:

... please find responses to your query above

You'll need to excuse the pomposity of some of our fellow BC'ers, for which I can only apologise, as they seem to find it hard to imagine that not all bass players might have got to grips with all their pedals, but they seem to have at least provided the answer to your query. 

Pompous - affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important.
"a pompous donkey who pretends he knows everything"

Maybe you’d be better off apologising to your mate on behalf of all bass chat for misinforming him about what you thought his effects unit could or couldn’t do... but you weren’t to know.

On 11/12/2020 at 09:26, Al Krow said:

Obviously one of the nice features of HX Effects is that you can go into "pedal board" mode and treat a single patch as 6 six separate effects which you can switch on and off, each with it's own stomp switch and HX Stomp does not have the equivalent ability given its smaller footprint / fewer stomp switches and single display vs 6 scribble strips. That's all well trodden ground.

It’s not ‘well trodden ground’ it’s erroneous and an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect! 

2 hours ago, krispn said:
It’s not ‘well trodden ground’ it’s erroneous and an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect! 

It is true though isn't it? I mean with the stomp, if you are not using an external pedal, it literally only has 3 pedals, of which one you need to change modes / tuners etc. So two buttons.

I have looked, I didn't see any more buttons. So yes, you can do two pedals, but that seems it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

It is true though isn't it? I mean with the stomp, if you are not using an external pedal, it literally only has 3 pedals, of which one you need to change modes / tuners etc. So two buttons.

I have looked, I didn't see any more buttons. So yes, you can do two pedals, but that seems it.

You can reassign the function of the third button to work as either an effect on/off, or with the latest update to do a variety of other functions such as toggling a snapshot (while leaving the other switches still working as effects on/off) so it is actually more versatile than it would appear at first glance. And obviously you can add an additional one or two external foot switches to control more things, which is more than enough for most gigging bassists. 

While the banter is no doubt getting a little pointy the initial query and answer was...

"I only used the Simple Pitch effect, and wanted a smaller footprint i.e. no heavy case to lug in. The Stomp also has that effect, but I’m not too blown away by it. I can’t just turn it on and off, I have to go from effect to another effect, or total Stomp bypass." 

“Obviously one of the nice features of HX Effects is that you can go into "pedal board" mode and treat a single patch as 6 six separate effects which you can switch on and off, each with it's own stomp switch and HX Stomp does not have the equivalent ability”

This is not true. The guy could use the stomp in ‘pedal board’ mode (or let’s call it foot switch mode) and be fine with two assignable foot switches while keeping the tuner function. 

I looked, the stomp (actually) has three buttons all of which could be assigned to a effect on/off function.

The option to reassign FS3 or add additional switches is always there if a user needs more but the Stomp is pretty decent considering it apparent limitations. 

Edited by krispn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

I am kinda new in the HX Stomp. So far, I have some virtual boards and patches for different songs for my band. I have also a couple of simple virtual pedalboards for my projects that do not require any effects.

I've been trying different settings for compressors and nothing beats my JHS compressor. There are a couple of compressors in the HX that could replace it (when I only want to use the HX stomp instead of my pedalboard). 

I've been also experimenting with different amp modelers. So far, I really like the Ampeg SVT4. However, nothing beats the tone of my Ashdown ABM and I wish Line 6 would try to model it in the future (which I doubt actually). So, for now, when using the HX alone, I'll use the SVT4, but I plan to have my OriginAL preamp. 

And how do you like the cab simulation? I hated it at first. Now I kinda like the 215 Brute. But it's the only one. I want to look for some Mesa PH cab IR. 

On 10/01/2021 at 20:24, javi_bassist said:

Hello guys

I am kinda new in the HX Stomp. So far, I have some virtual boards and patches for different songs for my band. I have also a couple of simple virtual pedalboards for my projects that do not require any effects.

I've been trying different settings for compressors and nothing beats my JHS compressor. There are a couple of compressors in the HX that could replace it (when I only want to use the HX stomp instead of my pedalboard). 

I've been also experimenting with different amp modelers. So far, I really like the Ampeg SVT4. However, nothing beats the tone of my Ashdown ABM and I wish Line 6 would try to model it in the future (which I doubt actually). So, for now, when using the HX alone, I'll use the SVT4, but I plan to have my OriginAL preamp. 

And how do you like the cab simulation? I hated it at first. Now I kinda like the 215 Brute. But it's the only one. I want to look for some Mesa PH cab IR. 

The new Rochester comp is particularly good, even straight 'out of the box' but it can take a bit of work to dial in to your preference. A few other people have commented that compressors have been one of the weaker effect in the Helix, some being nothing more than gain stages. That said, I quite like the Deluxe Comp too - tweak the threshold to suit and it's pretty much good to go.

I haven't tried it, and I don't have a real amp any more, but I wonder if you used the 4 cable method if you could use your Ashdown's preamp as a switchable block. Then you could have the best of both - Ashdown and SVT at the press of a button. (FWIW, I love the SVT model. It's pretty much perfect even with all the eq set to neutral.)

I don't use cab blocks at all. Remember, cab blocks and IR;s are the sound of a mic'd up speaker in another room. They are nt representative of a cab sitting a few feet away from you. Unless you regularly mic up a traditional bass cab when you gig I'd urge you to try a simple eq block instead. Most recorded and live bass tones are a simple DI from an amp head, straight to the desk, an eq block simulates this rather well. A cut around 5khz on top and around 50hz on the bottom brings it into typical bass cab range and still sounds lively and almost like a real bass cab behind you (if you're going into an FRFR). Not to mention it would make a sound engineer quite happy with that signal going into their desk.

When bass cab's are mic'd up, they are generally mixed with a DI signal too, so if this is your preference, you may want to dive into the cab block and adjust the wet/dry balance, or create a separate path for the cab.

If you're going into a real bass amp and cab, then the choices get even more complex. I'd advise bypassing the cab block to your onstage amp and any of the above going to FOH, if you're using it.

• Like 1

The stomp is very feature rich and the recent update has increased its functionality so there is a lot to learn and it’s potentially able to do things for you that you don’t know you need yet! 
Firstly you could try and recreate the JhS pedal settings on the stomp to best match what it’s doing for you. There are a few choices of comp so you’ll have options to find the one which closely matches the controls on your pedal. Adding it on a parallel path might be fun to try too for the studio style ‘New York’ sound - it’ll basically equate to having a clean blend function if your pedal doesn’t offer that feature. 

You can set the stomp up to send fx to your amp while sending amp/cab sims to foh if you wanted. Useful if you want to gig your amp and have a ‘rig’ sound coming via FOH or experiment a bit. 

Do you want to run the stomp as a complete one box solution or incorporate it into your rig for fx? The getting started cheat sheet posted above will layout the basic ways to hook up the unit for various uses/rigs. 

One option is you could use the Ashdown ‘Original preamp’ in the fx loop as your preferred pre and that’s pretty easy to set up - you could also run you comp in that loop with the Ashdown pre so you’d have those two units always available. My understanding is the new ‘favourite setting’ on the stomp means you could create a basic chain and if you save that as a ‘fav’ when creating a new patch and use it it’ll save the loop etc. which you’ve identified as a fav. I’ve not played with this yet but that could save a wee bit of editing time in basic patch layout and creation. If I’ve got this wrong let me know and I’ll edit accordingly. You tube will be able to show how this works.

Actually that’s a fair point there’s 60 pages of thread and you may find just searching a query on you tube yields quicker results with clear how to’s plus check out the 3.0 update videos to see what other new tricks the unit has up its sleeve. 

Edited by krispn
Tidy up
  • Like 1

Very useful advice. Thanks! I've been following this thread even before buying the HX (but with that idea in mind). 

My setup now is the JHS comp before the HX Stomp and the Ashdown pre in the loop, to use Cab simulation. I'm still deciding if I like the cab simulation or not. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Actually, when I use my real amp on stage, 99% of the time it's the DI coming from the amp, so the cab is just a monitor. And I've liked that sound. I'm considering putting the preamp at the end of the chain and forget about cab simulation. 

If I use a real amp, I will create two signal outs: one for the amp and one for FOH. 

And I have been also using the Ampeg SVT4 and playing with it and I'm liking it even more. I think most of the amps come very distorted in stock mode. But with the Drive low, I can achieve great clean tones. Still experimenting.

21 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

And I have been also using the Ampeg SVT4 and playing with it and I'm liking it even more. I think most of the amps come very distorted in stock mode. But with the Drive low, I can achieve great clean tones. Still experimenting.

It could be that your bass has a hot output. The larger Helix devices have an input pad setting, to accommodate this, but I don't think the Stomp does. Perhaps just turn down the volume on the JHS compressor so that it doesn't hit the Stomp so hard.

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

It could be that your bass has a hot output. The larger Helix devices have an input pad setting, to accommodate this, but I don't think the Stomp does. Perhaps just turn down the volume on the JHS compressor so that it doesn't hit the Stomp so hard.

Yeah, the Stomp has control over the incoming signal as well. Not sure how it compares to Helix Floor but it’s got control. 

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I've always experienced it without the jhs. Just the hx. Not complaining, most of the simulations are pretty good imo

On 12/01/2021 at 14:50, javi_bassist said:

Very useful advice. Thanks! I've been following this thread even before buying the HX (but with that idea in mind). 

My setup now is the JHS comp before the HX Stomp and the Ashdown pre in the loop, to use Cab simulation. I'm still deciding if I like the cab simulation or not. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Actually, when I use my real amp on stage, 99% of the time it's the DI coming from the amp, so the cab is just a monitor. And I've liked that sound. I'm considering putting the preamp at the end of the chain and forget about cab simulation. 

If I use a real amp, I will create two signal outs: one for the amp and one for FOH. 

start with John willis' settings on the amps - for some reason a lot of them default to "too much gain" 

44 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I've always experienced it without the jhs. Just the hx. Not complaining, most of the simulations are pretty good imo

That's what I mean. Perhaps I didn't word my reply very well. What I meant to say is that your bass' output might be a little hot and therefore overdriving the input. Seeing as the Stomp doesn't have an input pad, and that you're using a compressor before the Stomp, you could use the volume control on the JHS compressor to reduce the signal level going into the stomp. Think of it like a global input gain control.

• Like 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches