Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

31 minutes ago, krispn said:

I was gonna say 😀

Haha, well i do have Native so I’m not totally out of the picture. Thats why I’m still keeping an eye on things. 

In fact since getting my synth ive started using my PC for music more than i used to, and so Native is now going to be used more than when i just played bass (although mostly for guitar at the moment).

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

It’s no criticism Dave. I don’t own a Yamaha but I’m slabbering away over on that thread😀

Nah, i found it amusing, and on point. It seems strange only having the software version now, and i have no plans to go back to playing bass for a while, but these things are designed for all instruments so i feel I’m still in the club (even though Native isnt listed in the thread title). If nothing else its an amazing EQ box. Getting another Stomp is not out of the question in the future. 

I was doing a live stream/fb thing last night and I lost all settings in the update/3.00.0 saga I alluded to earlier. I easily pulled up a factory preset for the B-15 patch (tuck n go), stuck in a parametric eq and had a sound in the time it took the singer to plug in his mic, tune his guitar and calm down from being quite the diva... yes I had about an hour but only needed about 3-4 minutes using the stomp interface. It had been updated to 3.00.0 it’s just my Mac which appears to be baffled atm

• Like 1

Just now, PatrickJ said:

How are you using a Freeze pedal ?  I couldn't think of a practical use case for bass.

Need to figure what the possibilities are on Helix but if it can do what the EHX can, it basically allows you to sustain a note (or chord) whilst continuing to play a bass line. Probably of more value on original material / home noodling than covers.

EHX Freeze [Bass Demo] - YouTube

In other news after a long run of shifts I've had time to sit at my laptop again and I've successfully managed to update my Stomp and HX edit to 3.01.0. Looking forward to having a proper play now I've a few days off!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 3

@Al Krow you mentioned some synth setting/patches you had developed and liked either on here or the synth thread...  I'd be keen to try them - I lost all my patches trying to update the other week and while they shouldn't be too hard to rebuild a few tried and tested patches would always be welcome and some info on the inspiration for or songs they work well on too would be really useful. SAme goes if anyone else has already posted a patch or two especially using the new features on the Stomp

I'll be back to Dr Tone to tweak and work on his patches too as I had used his SVT as a building block on some of my patches too.

Are you sure you lost your old presets? The update process prompts you to take a backup before it proceeds with the update... If you just clicked through the menus without reading them, you might find you've got a backup ready to reimport all or part of....

I had this query from a BC'er who has just moved from HX Effects to Stomp:

"I only used the Simple Pitch effect, and wanted a smaller footprint i.e. no heavy case to lug in. The Stomp also has that effect, but I’m not too blown away by it. I can’t just turn it on and off, I have to go from effect to another effect, or total Stomp bypass." 

Obviously one of the nice features of HX Effects is that you can go into "pedal board" mode and treat a single patch as 6 six separate effects which you can switch on and off, each with it's own stomp switch and HX Stomp does not have the equivalent ability given its smaller footprint / fewer stomp switches and single display vs 6 scribble strips. That's all well trodden ground.

But I was just wondering if there is a workaround for this chap's particular issue e.g. by using snapshots or similar? Can I throw this one over to the Stomp user crew please?

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

"I only used the Simple Pitch effect, and wanted a smaller footprint i.e. no heavy case to lug in. The Stomp also has that effect, but I’m not too blown away by it. I can’t just turn it on and off, I have to go from effect to another effect, or total Stomp bypass." 

Obviously one of the nice features of HX Effects is that you can go into "pedal board" mode and treat a single patch as 6 six separate effects which you can switch on and off, each with it's own stomp switch and HX Stomp does not have the equivalent ability given its smaller footprint / fewer stomp switches and single display vs 6 scribble strips. That's all well trodden ground.

But I was just wondering if there is a workaround for this chap's particular issue e.g. by using snapshots or similar? Can I throw this one over to the Stomp user crew please?

Footswitch mode if he’s just using the stomp to active an effect like he would on the FX all he needs to do is assign it to a footswitch. Multiple effect can be assigned to one switch so he could have pitch and octave on one switch or any thing he wants. A link to the manual might be useful. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Obviously the Stomp can do pedal board mode as well, all be it with 3 (or 5) foots switches. What am i missing here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I have to laugh as I often wonder if you fully understand your kit - you’ve owned both these units, written extensively over multiple threads and read all the posts and are able to recall who’s said what! By now you surely have a grasp of the capabilities of these units which share the same core editing and processing - you’ve enough hours under the hood by now no?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, krispn said:

I have to laugh as I often wonder if you fully understand your kit - you’ve owned both these units, written extensively over multiple threads and read all the posts and are able to recall who’s said what! By now you surely have a grasp of the capabilities of these units which share the same core editing and processing - you’ve enough hours under the hood by now no?

I guess I can better understand why the other chap was too shy to post on here now.

And love the fact that comment is from someone who can't even manage to back-up their patches 😂

For the record I never really used my Stomp which is why I sold it and am only really just getting started on HX Effects, so indeed "no" in answer to your Q. Happy?

Edited by Al Krow

On 11/12/2020 at 11:44, Al Krow said:

I guess I can better understand why the other chap was too shy to post on here now.

Apologies to your mate I though I'd posted my initial answer to the question with the explanation, how multiple effects could be assigned to one foot switch i.e. octave and filter etc... I can always go back and edit it in later.

The basic operation of the unit was covered in that getting started sheet included in the box whihc is actually quite helpful... but from my earlier non-post...

Firstly read the getting started guide, then the manual and if you're still struggling

Press VIEW (or PAGE) until you see the fx block chain, scroll to the effect you wish to assign to the foot switch, 'touch' don't stomp the foot switch you wish to assign it to and confirm selection. Press VIEW (or PAGE) until it displays an effect name above each foot switch as in 'foot switch mode' and hey presto! The third switch defaults to the tap/tuner. Save the patch the normal way -  you can fine tune to this so if you want that effect on as soon as you select the patch save it with the patch engaged. If not turn the effect off (by pressing clicking the foot switch, not touching it) then re-save and the effect will be assigned but not engaged until activated. @Al Krow feel free to refer your mate to this post

*Edit*
I’ve added a pic - it shows I have the compressor and a cab IR as switchable options. It’s quite clear on the unit which effects are assigned to each FS between the colour coding and the text on screen. You could set up a single FS to engage one effect while turning off another in a kinda A/B fashion too. It’s pretty intuitive once you understand the basic editing on the unit itself. I’m sure there’s You Tube videos demonstrating how to.

And love the fact that comment is from someone who can't even manage to back-up their patches 😂

I have two back ups one from before the software update to 2.92 and one before the 3.0 update but was advised by Line 6 to wipe everything L6 related off the laptop as there may have been an alias file somewhere on the HHD which was causing the 'glitch' and defaulting back to 2.92 as I mentioned previously. The update to 3.0.1 seems to have sorted that end of the mystery. I'm just working through getting them back on the HDD/Stomp as I've not really been at the laptop for 9-10 days due to my own shifts and covering at work (covid, assualts etc. you'll understand I'm sure) but have them on a memory stick. Always best to have a back up 'off the device' in my experience. I've never had to load them from the memory stick before but once I check the manual/You Tube I figure I'll be right!

For the record I never really used my Stomp Stomp's which is why I sold it them and am only really just getting started on HX Effects but sold it too, so indeed "no" in answer to your Q. Happy?

Fixed!

7339B643-9762-406E-81CF-F7D580C4D9CE.jpeg

Edited by krispn

@Alfie Noakes please find responses to your query above.

You'll need to excuse the pomposity of some of our fellow BC'ers, for which I can only apologise, as they seem to find it hard to imagine that not all bass players might have got to grips with all their pedals, but they seem to have at least provided the answer to your query. 

Edited by Al Krow

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m really baffled why that chap needed to ask in the first place. It’s not like it’s a hidden mode. 

I'm constantly amazed at the number of comment on various facebook groups by people who messed up the upgrade, each and eveytime Line 6 release an update, because they didn't read the instructions properly.

I must seem like a right geek as I download pdf manuals to read up on before I buy certain devices.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1