Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, but for some reason some people HAVE to have it on XLR.

Yeah that's what the adaptor I mentioned is for. Or you could just use a TRS cable if the desk has TRS inputs. 99/100 the sound man will have an XLR, so I made myself a couple of adaptors.

1 minute ago, Higgie said:

Yeah that's what the adaptor I mentioned is for. Or you could just use a TRS cable if the desk has TRS inputs. 99/100 the sound man will have an XLR, so I made myself a couple of adaptors.

A lot of people just don’t get that the signal out of devices like these are more than good enough for DI. If it hasn’t got a XLR then its not a DI. 

Obviously if you have to have XLR thats a different matter. 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

A lot of people just don’t get that the signal out of devices like these are more than good enough for DI. If it hasn’t got a XLR then its not a DI. 

Obviously if you have to have XLR thats a different matter. 

Yeah, XLR tends to keep the old noise boys happy

• Haha 1

I think a lot of the time sound men get some ‘all the gear’ types show up with the latest invention box which they simply don’t trust and they know that their old trusty DI box “10 years and never let me down yet!” will simply work. It’s a pain when a noise or buzz creeps in - for many it’s one less unknown and it makes their life easier. 
I agree with DB5 though that these modern invention boxes are pretty solid in the quality of the signal they pump out. 

18 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I kept my BDDI when i got my Stomp, its been my fav pedal over the years. Ive had 3, and this last one was a v2. I realised a few weeks ago i haven’t actually used it since getting the Stomp, as ive been using the Stomp version (normally always on).

Finally sold it this week. 

I have never been able to get a good sound out of a BDDI on Zoom or Stomp,, always sounds like its being played underwater. 
Tried using settings iff Sansamp manual.

maybe its just not my thing or getting or i’m just getting it all wroung  

31 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

I have never been able to get a good sound out of a BDDI on Zoom or Stomp,, always sounds like its being played underwater. 
Tried using settings iff Sansamp manual.

maybe its just not my thing or getting or i’m just getting it all wroung  

I never really compared the two side by side, and ive be surprised if the Helix version sounded as good (defiantly not as good as v2), but i cant say i found it lacking for my use. I did try the manual presets from the old v1 and thought they sounded less warm, but in the same ball park. 

15 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

Happy for tips on settings, before a right it off completely and just remove all blocks.

Well I'm sure we can all chip in here.

I get that the BDDI can be tricky to dial in e.g. I think it took @Lozz196 several years(!) before he found how to get to the sweet spot on his.

Which Zoom do you / have you had? There are a bunch of very happy BC Zoom users (me included) who get some great sounds out of our Zoom multis - I'd head over to this thread if you still have one:

In terms of the Stomp it would be useful, as a starting point, to understand what the rest of your signal chain is in terms of: what bass you're using, rest of your pedal board, amp and cab.

Following which, hopefully one or more of the many Stomp users on this thread should be able to jump in with a few helpful tips!

Edited by Al Krow

I was doing a side by side with the Sansamp version on the Bass Fly Rig, and I couldn't get it right. I think the most annoying part (for my purposes) was that the drive sound had an abrupt, unnatural sounding decay that died off leaving the unaffected note ringing. Probably not a problem for many, but completely messes up one of our choruses. Wierdly, the closest I got to the sound I wanted to replicate from the Sansamp was using the WhoWatt amp sim, and the BK7 clone came pretty close too.

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I get that the BDDI can be tricky to dial in e.g. I think it took @Lozz196 several years(!) before he found how to get to the sweet spot on his.

Which Zoom do you / have you had? There are a bunch of very happy BC Zoom users (me included) who get some great sounds out of our Zoom multis - I'd head over to this thread if you still have one:

In terms of the Stomp it would be useful, as a starting point, to understand what the rest of your signal chain is in terms of: what bass you're using, rest of your pedal board, amp and cab.

Following which, hopefully one or more of the many Stomp users on this thread should be able to jump in with a few helpful tips!

Dont gave the zoom anymore upgraded to Helix stomp. 

several bass’s Fender Jazz deluxe. 
Ibanez SR1400 active or passive Norstrad preamp and just added a Specter NT aguilar pickups preamp. 

signal- Compressor Rochester or la comp- BDDI nothing else into tech 21 deuce deluxe Powered  cab 

Edited by Rollin Thunder

53 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

Happy for tips on settings, before a right it iff completely and just remove all blocks.

Are you saying you cant get it close to a real BDDI or you just cant get a likeable all tone?

I still have my B1-four and Helix Stomp. When i first got the B1 i did a BDDI test, just in headphones though. I found the Helix BDDI has more life to it, and the B1 sounds a bit thicker. Possibly a lower quality causing this. Still usable though. This is just with mild drive and a P bass. 

Cant really suggest anything other than keeping the Blend knob below noon, which is something that gets a lot of new owners. That Blend know is the key to getting a usable tone out of the BDDI.

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Might have been me. It definitely took me a couple of years before i went back to mine after the first gig (actually a BDI-21) and actually found how to use it properly. Hated it at first. Then one day as i was about to sell it i turned the Blend knob down to about 10 o’clock and there was the tone ive pretty much used since.

• Like 1

It did take me a while. I tried it by keeping the amp set as flat as possible and using the eq on the pedal, no good. So I had a Tonehammer with eq set to taste and our producer added in the BDDI set flat but with a bit of drive. Was a revelation.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Are you saying you cant get it close to a real BDDI or you just cant get a likeable all tone?

I still have my B1-four and Helix Stomp. When i first got the B1 i did a BDDI test, just in headphones though. I found the Helix BDDI has more life to it, and the B1 sounds a bit thicker. Possibly a lower quality causing this. Still usable though. This is just with mild drive and a P bass. 

Cant really suggest anything other than keeping the Blend knob below noon, which is something that gets a lot of new owners. That Blend know is the key to getting a usable tone out of the BDDI.

Definitely just not a likeable tone, seems odd to use so much blend, my head says defeats the object of the pedal unless using extreme drive.

will try using from 9-12 blend (around 30-40%)

Edited by Rollin Thunder

• 1 month later...

.... does anyone know if when using a TS to XLR converter phantom power can travel down, ie. If I used a TS to XLR converter to get my signal from a HX Stomp (not using a DI box) is there any chance if the phantom power was left on the unit could be damaged? I understand if the connector was a TRS to XLR there could be a risk.

Any input would be appreciated thanks.

2 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

.... does anyone know if when using a TS to XLR converter phantom power can travel down, ie. If I used a TS to XLR converter to get my signal from a HX Stomp (not using a DI box) is there any chance if the phantom power was left on the unit could be damaged? I understand if the connector was a TRS to XLR there could be a risk.

Any input would be appreciated thanks.

No risk, but it wouldn't be a balanced signal that you were sending. Might as well just use a regular guitar cable. 

... the inputs the lead goes into are XLR, hence the question. Are the outs both balanced on the HX Stomp (ie just using L/Mono output).

I’ve changed from a Classic Jr to a Nano so have no room for a DI on the board anymore (it’s now just the HX Stomp with an Aguilar Filtertwin and a Boss OC2 in each of the FX Loops). My old board went into a Radial JDi from the L/Mono output.

Edited by jimbobothy

22 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

... the inputs the lead goes into are XLR, hence the question. Are the outs both balanced on the HX Stomp (ie just using L/Mono output).

I’ve changed from a Classic Jr to a Nano so have no room for a DI on the board anymore (it’s now just the HX Stomp with an Aguilar Filtertwin and a Boss OC2 in each of the FX Loops). My old board went into a Radial JDi from the L/Mono output.

As @Jack said, unless you use a TRS to XLR adaptor, there is absolutely no benefit of using an adaptor in the first place. The outs of the Stomp are both balanced, but to take advantage of that fact, you would need to use a TRS adaptor.

Edited by Higgie

58 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

The outs are balanced yes but balanced needs 3 signals : positive, negative and ground. If you use a ts (just positive and ground) then it's not balanced even if the physical connector on the other end is an xlr. 

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches