Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

What you have heard for yourself, now, is just how bloody amazing the speed, accuracy and glitch-less depth of tracking on the Boss SY-1 octave down is! Goes lower than my Fearless F112 cab could comfortable handle, and that's saying something! We could hear the speaker 'flapping' as it tried to cope with notes an octave below E and lower! Oh and thanks for the personal delivery of the Ashdown headphones - they're ridiculously cool in their own way! 

No problem with the delivery, the biscuits covered that lol.

Yes, the SY-1 was very impressive. Ive only used the Helix sub and was quite happy with that, but the SY-1 seemed a lot tighter and solid. Very impressed with how low it went. I can see a good cab or two getting ruined if that was used in a live situation at a decent volume. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Heard another tale of Stomp build quality issues recently with a report of one dying mid live set.

If that's the tale that I related on the short scale preamp thread, it happened around 18 months ago. I may well have mentioned it at the time (I don't remember either way) so it's possible that you're counting the same tale twice, based my experience at least? I'm not aware of any other failures with the Stomp, but then again I've not been looking out for them. And fair play to Line 6 who gave me a brand new unit without question. 

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Previous mentions of over heating and in my case a flaky USB connection. Just doesn't seem to have the gig-build that something like the HFX has, with its more tank like housing which seems capable of handling our size 12s.

Didn't you buy that Stomp used? In which case I suspect the original owner may have broken the USB port and sold the unit on while 'forgetting' to mention it, perhaps? If that was the case, it's not really fair to pin that on Line 6 when in it's possible that it was down to a ham fisted owner. I think it highly unlikely anyone would get structural failure using the Stomp on a gig unless they're supporting Barry White and the Weather Girls. 

Only issue ive had with my Stomp (which was used but works fine) is 3 or 4 times, in the 18 months or so that ive and it, ive noticed no sound output through my headphones (no idea about the main outs). Had to reboot each time. I put this down to bugs in the FW rather than mechanical though. Luckily with the latest FW version i can see that the input is receiving a signal, so that cuts down on the fault finding. Its not happen for a while though. 

@dave_bass5 I seem think there's an option in the global settings that you need to switch for using the Stomp with headphones. I couldn't tell you what or where it is but I've got a vague recollection of reading something about it in the manual. Might be worth a quick read of the manual to check? 

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

@dave_bass5 I seem think there's an option in the global settings that you need to switch for using the Stomp with headphones. I couldn't tell you what or where it is but I've got a vague recollection of reading something about it in the manual. Might be worth a quick read of the manual to check? 

No, its not that. Ive used them with headphones all the time at home, from day one, almost daily. If a re boot fixes it i must have the correct settings already. 

Thanks anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that is a negative way of looking at it. The other way is 'oh look, I have so much space for more things!'

So, does that make you half board full or half board empty sort of person? 

16 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Yep, does look bare now, deffo gonna look at downsizing

Tbf I've just been on a similar downsize to you (which is why I know about both clubs 😁).  I've currently got a Helix HFX as one of my "boards", just as a standalone pedal, and a Metro 24 and a PT2 currently both lying completely empty and in storage for that day I return to big set ups again...

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf I've just been on a similar downsize to you (which is why I know about both clubs 😁).  I've currently got a Helix HFX as one of my "boards", just as a standalone pedal, and a Metro 24 and a PT2 currently both lying completely empty and in storage for that day I return to big set ups again...

Ive just realised i still have an empty Metro 16 with Cioks DC-5 under it. Maybe one day ill fill it again. 

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive just realised i still have an empty Metro 16 with Cioks DC-5 under it. Maybe one day ill fill it again. 

I can see that this "I've got a bigger pedal board than I need club" is rapidly filling up! 😂

(even if the boards aren't).

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well the Stomp has a great tuner in it, and if you have to have XLR out the Stomp also has the older BDDI in it. 

Yeah, think I'm just holding on tbf.

Currently using the real bddi the FX loop as opposed to using cab Sims yet.

Only 24 hours in, I'll see

It's hard to let go of that.

Edited by Stofferson

14 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Yeah, think I'm just holding on tbf.

Currently using the real bddi the FX loop as opposed to using cab Sims yet.

Only 24 hours in, I'll see

It's hard to let go of that.

I kept my BDDI when i got my Stomp, its been my fav pedal over the years. Ive had 3, and this last one was a v2. I realised a few weeks ago i haven’t actually used it since getting the Stomp, as ive been using the Stomp version (normally always on).

Finally sold it this week. 

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well the Stomp has a great tuner in it, and if you dont need XLR out the Stomp also has the older BDDI in it. 

Even if you do need an XLR out, just get/make a TRS to XLR adaptor and send one of the L/R Outputs straight to the desk. The Stomp has balanced outputs so no DI box is needed!

28 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Even if you do need an XLR out, just get/make a TRS to XLR adaptor and send one of the L/R Outputs straight to the desk. The Stomp has balanced outputs so no DI box is needed!

Yeah, but for some reason some people HAVE to have it on XLR.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, but for some reason some people HAVE to have it on XLR.

I take a good di to gigs (eh, what are they?) where there's external sound because it's just not worth the hassle. So that's an unbalanced ts plug using one leg of a balanced trs socket, to a di box to balance the signal again. 

Whatever, saves the phantom power worry anyway. 

Edited by Jack

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches