Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

50 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Aye - saw that - had a few chats with the guy - super nice bloke, knows his onions

Yeah, he seems to live and breath Helix. 

40 minutes ago, Deedee said:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this would you?

Here you go. He has said they are mostly for the Stomp. I’m not sure whats in this. I dont think its everything from his website. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nec011d71crykiu/DRT2020.zip?dl=0

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, he seems to live and breath Helix. 

Here you go. He has said they are mostly for the Stomp. I’m not sure whats in this. I dont think its everything from his website. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nec011d71crykiu/DRT2020.zip?dl=0

Many thanks. That was going to be my next question actually. His site lists either stomp or floor so am I correct to assume they will be unsuitable for the FX?

1 minute ago, Deedee said:

Many thanks. That was going to be my next question actually. His site lists either stomp or floor so am I correct to assume they will be unsuitable for the FX?

It’s seems that way mate. I’ve tried to download a couple this morning and can’t. I get an error when importing to edit. I’m assuming it’s down to the amp/cab sims in the patch. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. on the L6 website it states that although all units use the same file format, each has to support all the blocks and features in the patch.

You can load them in to HX Native if you have it, then take out the amps and cabs etc. I think it would be pointless though as these are integral to the overall sound. Still, might give a good starting block.

I did a few screen shots for Paul earlier so might as well post them here as well.

Duff HX.pdf

Synth 1 HX.pdf

Billy HX.pdf

Joe Dart HX.pdf

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, stoo said:

If you don't have, or can't be bothered to fire up, native then this web based helix preset viewer can sometimes do the trick...

https://dbagchee.github.io/helix-preset-viewer/

Thats a cool link. I dont have Native so might give that a go. I hardly ever use my Stomp with my PC, today is an exception.

I came across this today. the guy has made a file that changes the Line6 given names to the real names of all the sims in the Helix. All apart form the L6 sims which are unique to them.

Might give this a go while im connected.

https://benvesco.com/store/line-6-edit-real-names-mod/

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes. on the L6 website it states that although all units use the same file format, each has to support all the blocks and features in the patch.

You can load them in to HX Native if you have it, then take out the amps and cabs etc. I think it would be pointless though as these are integral to the overall sound. Still, might give a good starting block.

I did a few screen shots for Paul earlier so might as well post them here as well.

Duff HX.pdf 1.02 MB · 0 downloads

Synth 1 HX.pdf 996.75 kB · 0 downloads

Billy HX.pdf 1.03 MB · 0 downloads

Joe Dart HX.pdf 1 MB · 4 downloads

19 minutes ago, stoo said:

If you don't have, or can't be bothered to fire up, native then this web based helix preset viewer can sometimes do the trick...

https://dbagchee.github.io/helix-preset-viewer/

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thats a cool link. I dont have Native so might give that a go. I hardly ever use my Stomp with my PC, today is an exception.

I came across this today. the guy has made a file that changes the Line6 given names to the real names of all the sims in the Helix. All apart form the L6 sims which are unique to them.

Might give this a go while im connected.

https://benvesco.com/store/line-6-edit-real-names-mod/

Many thanks all, great stuff. 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers Dave - I've been impressed by this guy's YT posts on Helix of the ones of his I've seen so far. Added this to my "watch later" list!

No problem. I dont watch s lot of his videos as its guitar based, but he knows his stuff. Did you know the stock presets that have JS in the name are his? Probably did, old  news lol. 

Not sure if we have this one posted already. Shame he wasnt using a bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

I use the weeper model. Haven’t got my Stomp handy for the settings, but can be cool to put it on Path B so that your wah is blended with your clean sound for no loss of low end!

Edited by Higgie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys. Need some advice. I was planning on selling my Stomp and getting a Pod Go, mainly for more switches for live use (lol). What puts me off is the size, and i will never use the Expression pedal. 

Last night i thought about getting a midi controller instead, to work with the Stomp. I really only want one box on the floor, and not a pedal board. My idea is to have the Stomp on the amp, and the midi controller on the floor doing all the patch changes, block on/off stuff. So it needs at least 5 foot switches. 

I really like the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose, but I believe it cant be used to replace the foot switches for effects on off, only patch changes. The from  factor is ideal though, as is the price. I prefer a line of switches rather than two rows. I guess i might be able to use it and use Snapshots if that’s possible. Not ideal though, but an option I’m open to. 

Any thoughts and suggestions? Is it even possible? Ive seen the Morningstar but it seems cramped, and this is what I’m trying to get away from. I know i can use a 2 way foot switch, which i have in the past, but its not as neat as i want, and I found it getting moved to easily on stage (and i don’t want to use a pedal board), I’d also like some visual indication one the pedal to show which foot switches is on.

I forgot to say, must be smaller than the Pod Go, or else i might as well get that. I think that rules out the Behringer one. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Guys. Need some advice. I was planning on selling my Stomp and getting a Pod Go, mainly for more switches for live use (lol). What puts me off is the size, and i will never use the Expression pedal. 

Last night i thought about getting a midi controller instead, to work with the Stomp. I really only want one box on the floor, and not a pedal board. My idea is to have the Stomp on the amp, and the midi controller on the floor doing all the patch changes, block on/off stuff. So it needs at least 5 foot switches. 

I really like the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose, but I believe it cant be used to replace the foot switches for effects on off, only patch changes. The from  factor is ideal though, as is the price. I prefer a line of switches rather than two rows. I guess i might be able to use it and use Snapshots if that’s possible. Not ideal though, but an option I’m open to. 

Any thoughts and suggestions? Is it even possible? Ive seen the Morningstar but it seems cramped, and this is what I’m trying to get away from. I know i can use a 2 way foot switch, which i have in the past, but its not as neat as i want, and I found it getting moved to easily on stage (and i don’t want to use a pedal board), I’d also like some visual indication one the pedal to show which foot switches is on.

I forgot to say, must be smaller than the Pod Go, or else i might as well get that. I think that rules out the Behringer one. 

If you need the pedal to display footswitch status, things get tricky as the Stomp doesn't output any status information over MIDI other than current preset number. You can program some controllers to alternately display an on/off indication each time you hit the switch on the controller, but as there is no feedback from the Stomp, there's no guarantee the Stomp and controller will be in sync.

If you only use preset changes and snapshots then you can make that work OK with a remote display, but not (AFAIK) for FS1-5 in "stomp-to-toggle" mode.

I made a custom 4x2 controller with a touchscreen on it with hopes of being able to do the same - leave the Stomp on the amp out of the way of punters and booze, and just have the controller up front..... never did find a good way of displaying enough info on the controller screen to make it viable. One day I might try and reverse engineer the comms between stomp and HX edit on a PC and see if I can't make it work that way.... probably not anytime soon though

• Like 1

Have a look at the Keith McMillen Soft Step 2. Works through MIDI and you would need the small expander box too. Ten foot switches. It is much more than a simple patch selector as you can program all the cc changes for feedback, decay and any other parameter you want. Might be a bit complicated for what you need though but worth looking into.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

I’m not really looking for any displays etc, just a LED to say the switch is on or off. Looks like the Mongoose can do that. The Stomp does show what blocks are on or off, but its not easy to see, especially if i have it on my amp behind me. I know how to use snapshots but i think only 3 is a bit limiting. 

The Keith McMillen looks fantastic, but overkill for me, and a bit expensive. All I’m looking to do is to turn one or two blocks on and off as and when i need to. I can do the patch change by hand on the Stomp itself. I’d never need to do this during a song, and i doubt I’d use more than 3-4 patches for a whole gig. Thanks anyway. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I’m not really looking for any displays etc, just a LED to say the switch is on or off. Looks like the Mongoose can do that. The Stomp does show what blocks are on or off, but its not easy to see, especially if i have it on my amp behind me. I know how to use snapshots but i think only 3 is a bit limiting. 

The Keith McMillen looks fantastic, but overkill for me, and a bit expensive. All I’m looking to do is to turn one or two blocks on and off as and when i need to. I can do the patch change by hand on the Stomp itself. I’d never need to do this during a song, and i doubt I’d use more than 3-4 patches for a whole gig. Thanks anyway. 

I think you may have misunderstood the Mongoose's capabilities.... It basically ONLY* does preset changes (ie MIDI PC messages), and the LED and LCD on it are only there to remind you which preset you selected last. 

To switch individual effects on the Stomp, or change snapshots, or.... well, anything that's not a preset change - you need to be able to send MIDI Control Change messages, and that's not what the Mongoose is designed to do.

* apart from the expression pedal input part, but that's not really relevant to what you're asking about.

10 minutes ago, stoo said:

I think you may have misunderstood the Mongoose's capabilities.... It basically ONLY* does preset changes (ie MIDI PC messages), and the LED and LCD on it are only there to remind you which preset you selected last. 

To switch individual effects on the Stomp, or change snapshots, or.... well, anything that's not a preset change - you need to be able to send MIDI Control Change messages, and that's not what the Mongoose is designed to do.

* apart from the expression pedal input part, but that's not really relevant to what you're asking about.

Well in a way this is why im asking. I’m not yet up to speed with what can and cant be done. I assumed you could change snapshots, but i guess you cant. WIth the LED”s i was just hoping for villa feedback that ive hit it. Quite other i might hit two stitches by mistake, or not tun it off. Be nice jus tot see the status light change. 

As far as Midi Control changes etc, I’m hoping the upcoming FW 3.0 with Control centre update will take care of this at the Stomp end, but appreciate the Mongoose still wont use these commands. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Any thoughts on this? USB rather than midi. Must admit ive not looked in to any of this side of the Stomp so maybe this just wont work anyway. 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/iCON-G-Board-Black-USB-MIDI-Floor-Controller-Black/art-PCM0012459-000?campaign=PSM_UK/kelkoo&ProgramUUID=MrLAqJarZEUAAAFobL.P7Dz7

It's designed to be connected to a computer, rather than to another USB MIDI device. You could connect both to a PC, and then use the PC to relay messages from the controller across to the Stomp..... but I can't think of a good reason why you'd want to.... it still wouldn't solve the status indication on the controller situation, and massively overcomplicates the setup...