Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

You could use 1, 2 or 3 and switch between them in snapshot mode so if you needed three different setting in one song you could have a patch.m let’s call it Gig Rock and on 1 it could be clean, 2 could be exactly the same but with some drive and theee could be a boost plus octave for during a guitar solo etc. Whatever you fancy. You could do this for three sounds for the whole set or patch by patch etc 

Oh and wouldn’t you keep the HX Floor on the floor and use the edit software to record? 😉

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

You could use 1, 2 or 3 and switch between them in snapshot mode so if you needed three different setting in one song you could have a patch.m let’s call it Gig Rock and on 1 it could be clean, 2 could be exactly the same but with some drive and theee could be a boost plus octave for during a guitar solo etc. Whatever you fancy. You could do this for three sounds for the whole set or patch by patch etc 

Oh and wouldn’t you keep the HX Floor on the floor and use the edit software to record? 😉

Thanks. I understand what snapshots do, my question is can I make one of the variations (snapshots) the main patch if I’m not using snapshots? For example if Im in snapshot mode and just trying out variations, and I prefer snapshot 3, can I apply that to the main patch? I don’t use snapshot mode as I like to tweak on the fly. 

As to the last point, well not if I don’t have a computer to run the software 😏

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of uniformity, be interesting if they put a few decent amp and cab sims in the HX Effects. Seems to me that it's been a purely commercial decision to try to delineate the various pedals in the Helix range.

I don't think that would happen, it is a clear position, it has the same DSP as the stomp but dedicated to FX, hence the name, and it is aimed at people who don't need or want amp models.

44 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thanks. I understand what snapshots do, my question is can I make one of the variations (snapshots) the main patch if I’m not using snapshots? For example if Im in snapshot mode and just trying out variations, and I prefer snapshot 3, can I apply that to the main patch? I don’t use snapshot mode as I like to tweak on the fly. 

As to the last point, well not if I don’t have a computer to run the software 😏

Yeah of course, you could also copy and paste that specific patch to a new location if you wanted. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

... but it would be a nice to have when rounding off a particular tone on a drive or other effect patch we're creating.

Assuming the HXFX has the same various EQ choices as the rest of the range, you have the option to round off your drive tone with one of those and/or an IR. As has already been mentioned there's a number of EQ settings online that mimic speaker profiles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Yeah of course, you could also copy and paste that specific patch to a new location if you wanted. 

Cool. Can you tell me how I can do this? Not copy and paste to a new location, but to overwrite the basic settings using a variation. 

Cheers. 

EDIT: I’m replying while I’m out and about, so I’ll figure it out when I get home. It’s not something I need to do, just wondered if it’s possible. 

Edited by dave_bass5

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cool. Can you tell me how I can do this? Not copy and paste to a new location, but to overwrite the basic settings using a variation. 

Cheers. 

EDIT: I’m replying while I’m out and about, so I’ll figure it out when I get home. It’s not something I need to do, just wondered if it’s possible. 

I’m not home either. Well kinda... I’m at my old flat cleaning but if I recall if you select snapshot more when you go to the patch location it will be the last patch open but honestly if you don’t use snap shot just create a patch and your golden. You’ll figure it out. I didn’t really consciously sit down and make snapshots it just occurred to me when trying out the new comp and I thought oh snapshots will be handy and i just kinda did it. It’s that easy!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers. 

Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but if you make changes to snapshot 2 and then resave the preset, the next time you recall that preset then snapshot 2 will be automatically selected.

Alternatively if you want to copy the settings from snapshot 2 to snapshots 1 and 3 you can... 

<From page 33 of the Stomp manual - https://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf >

Copying/Pasting a Snapshot

Instead of creating a new snapshot from scratch, you may want to copy an existing one to another snapshot location and tweak just a few things.

1. From Snapshot mode, while touch-holding the footswitch for the snapshot you want to copy, briefly touch and release the footswitch for the snapshot you want to overwrite. A dialog panel appears: Cancel OK Copy Snap 1 to 2?

2. Press Knob 3 (OK).

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Why would you use a real helix for home recording when you get a huge discount off Helix native?

How would I get that running on my Zoom R8 or iPad Pro 😂

I thought it would be clear that my first comment was just an example though, pointing out the big size difference which not everyone would welcome. Saying that, I don’t use a computer for recording at home. My iPad Pro is way more powerful than my PC, and my Zoom R8 is a much more traditional recording tool, which i still prefer over using a computer. 

Edited by dave_bass5

52 minutes ago, stoo said:

Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but if you make changes to snapshot 2 and then resave the preset, the next time you recall that preset then snapshot 2 will be automatically selected.

This is exactly what I was asking about, thanks. Now I’m home I can see a number which I hadn’t really paid any attention to before, but understood it to be to do with snapshots. As I don’t use them I just ignored it. 

As said, I dont want to do this, at least not at the moment, but was just wondering if it was possible. The Helix stuff seems to be the system that just keeps giving and giving lol. 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I’m not home either. Well kinda... I’m at my old flat cleaning but if I recall if you select snapshot more when you go to the patch location it will be the last patch open but honestly if you don’t use snap shot just create a patch and your golden. You’ll figure it out. I didn’t really consciously sit down and make snapshots it just occurred to me when trying out the new comp and I thought oh snapshots will be handy and i just kinda did it. It’s that easy!

It was a good idea. Going back and forth between minor differences makes sense. I was just wondering what happens once you find the right setting. Looks like it’s easy to do, so good to know. 

How would I get that running on my Zoom R8 or iPad Pro 😂

Its true that you wouldn't. But then if you are on an iPad pro you wouldn't need to put that on a table either!

I thought it would be clear that my first comment was just an example though, pointing out the big size difference which not everyone would welcome.

The size is a massive difference. Part of the reason I am getting rid of my LT at the moment is that it is bigger than the space in my room. If I was gigging it it would be fine, but I am not because I need a lot of other things (well, and I am not gigging at this very moment, but that much is obvious!)

Saying that, I don’t use a computer for recording at home. My iPad Pro is way more powerful than my PC, and my Zoom R8 is a much more traditional recording tool, which i still prefer over using a computer. 

Fair enough. I never got on with the zoom multi recorders, although I swear by both the little video and audio recorders I have, the H2n and umm.. whatever the other one is called!

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its true that you wouldn't. But then if you are on an iPad pro you wouldn't need to put that on a table either!

So now I have my Stomp on the floor, and my iPad on the floor. Explain that logic please. And I supposed to sit on the floor when playing?

45 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’ve said it many times before if you wanna do something on a Hx device you probably can! Well thought out and options a plenty!

Totally agree. I make a point of not using the software so I get to know the box. Makes it handy for live tweaking. I don’t do a lot,of tweaking, but I like to know where everything is in case it needs changing on the fly. 

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Up to you. I do!

Thanks 😏

I do all my home practice  sitting on my bed or couch, with my iPad and stomp sitting next to me, both going through the headphone out. If I record I see no reason to change any of that. Can’t see why anyone would put their computer on the floor. How do you control it?

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Totally agree. I make a point of not using the software so I get to know the box. Makes it handy for live tweaking. I don’t do a lot,of tweaking, but I like to know where everything is in case it needs changing on the fly. 

Wise words. I do the same so I know what to do when I need to tweak things on the fly. And it's not difficult either, a very simple and intuitive interface on the Stomp, the only difficulty being knowing how to get the best out of it but that comes with sinking the time in and experimenting with different options.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, that was quick. At this rate we will be on version 3.0 by next week lol  

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixhx-291-release-notes-r940/

Blimey! Ok that's going on the "to do!" list for tomorrow then! 

PS a little birdie has told me that there are some amp sims for the HX Effects in 2.91. If true, clearly Line 6 aren't in total agreement with some of the earlier posts today around it being a cost issue and / or what the HX Effects is for :P

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Excellent little video running through the new comp metering. He gives a pretty decent explanation of: threshold, ratio, attack, release and make up gain plus touching on 'transients', along the way.

Done by a pick playing guitarist, so may be of particular interest to pick users.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1