Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

6 hours ago, Deedee said:

Thanks for that. Any tips on settings for someone who doesn't have a clue would be gladly accepted. 😁

Just picking up on your filter setting query earlier. I suspect we'd all agree that it's often helpful to have a good example of the sound we're after from a dedicated pedal to A/B, when we're trying to come up with an emulation on the Helix or other multifx.

I came across this excellent review by Zach Riser on the recently released 3Leaf Proton v3 (2020) envelope filter earlier today (partly 'cos there's one in the FS right now!). Along the way he provides one of the better explanations of how each of the filter dials impact the filter tone.

The review also gives a good example of [octave down + fuzz + filter] = synth (at 12.38 in his review), as an alternative to using a purely synth setting on the Helix.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/04/2020 at 09:26, jimbobothy said:

... anyone updated to 2.9 yet? Also does anyone know whey there is a small E next to a patch name, especially when using the snapshot functions? Not noticed it before and just wondering if it’s due to updating this morning?

@jimbobothy I was just looking at the release notes - looks like the E for edited wasn't across the whole range - new on the stomp and FX

1 minute ago, cattytown said:

Absolutely - been there in the larger models, nice to see more uniformity across them.

I came so close to selling my Stomp, so glad I kept hold of it. The new update has given me a new enthusiasm for using it live again. 

Live 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, krispn said:

The new comp, Red Llama and Xeno are all great new additions. I’ve been enjoying those a lot. That new comp!!

Even Billy has been posting about how he likes it over on FB. He even posted a video earlier today in the Helix for bass group.

It’s such a great sounding comp. I’ve replaced the two main comps I’ve been using on patches with it via snapshots to A/B/C and it’s just really punchy. It’s quite noticeable but in a good way. 
Enjoying the Xeno too. It works as a low gain sound and running it on a super low gain (0.8-1.2) into the Llama. Some nice options there. 

6 hours ago, krispn said:

It’s such a great sounding comp. I’ve replaced the two main comps I’ve been using on patches with it via snapshots to A/B/C and it’s just really punchy. It’s quite noticeable but in a good way. 
Enjoying the Xeno too. It works as a low gain sound and running it on a super low gain (0.8-1.2) into the Llama. Some nice options there. 

Same here, I've been A/B'ing the new compressor on my patches and am probably going to swap it out on 3 of my 4 gigging patches. I just need to hear it at volume with the band before committing, but that could be a while! I'll likely stick with the essential 3 band comp model for one of my basses where I use it more like a combined comp and EQ as it seems to flatter the tone of that particular bass. 

The Xenomorph is also a lot of fun, someone mentioned earlier about using that as the basis for a DIY synth patch and I can see that working a treat. 

I need to play with the Red Llama a bit more, it sounded a big boxy when I briefly tried it but I suspect that its inherent mid bump didn't play too well with the slightly mid biased IR that I'm currently using. 

10 hours ago, cattytown said:

Absolutely - been there in the larger models, nice to see more uniformity across them.

Speaking of uniformity, be interesting if they put a few decent amp and cab sims in the HX Effects. Seems to me that it's been a purely commercial decision to try to delineate the various pedals in the Helix range. I'm not sure it would particularly impact Stomp sales given its more compact form, but I guess it may mean fewer folk stepping up to the LT other than the fact that it provides all of the key benefits Woody mentioned...

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Expression pedal, lots more knobs, bigger display, 2 x the DSP and no artificial limits, and it makes you look generally cooler, more attractive to women and much more of a rock star.

Obviously hard to resist something with more knobs that gives you instant rock star appeal.

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

be interesting if they put a few decent amp and cab sims in the HX Effects

You can get a IR that gives a amp and cab sound. I’ve got some free ones I found that had quite a good Mesa amp sound into a cab. Obv lack of adjustment to the ir but would do the job

If you can already add IR blocks then that’s a bonus. There’s loads you can download and try out. The same could be done with an eq block at the end of the signal chain if one needed additional control and didn’t mind a tweak. There’s some cab eq curves which could be quickly dialled in if needed from a multitude of sources. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of uniformity, be interesting if they put a few decent amp and cab sims in the HX Effects. Seems to me that it's been a purely commercial decision to try to delineate the various pedals in the Helix range. I'm not sure it would particularly impact Stomp sales given its more compact form, but I guess it may mean fewer folk stepping up to the LT other than the fact that it provides all of the key benefits Woody mentioned...

But isn't the idea of the HXFX that it's an effects unit (there might be a clue in the name somewhere 😉) for people who are using it through a traditional rig? In that regard it makes perfect sense as well as keeping costs down for those who don't want or need the amp & cab models. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You can get a IR that gives a amp and cab sound. I’ve got some free ones I found that had quite a good Mesa amp sound into a cab. Obv lack of adjustment to the ir but would do the job

I agree. The HFX is more a pedalboard rather than do it all.
Also a few pre amps are in the HFX. I’ve used a BDDI for years and having it in the same box as other effects was a huge draw. 
A lot of people use preamps in to power amps so the option is still there, just not as versatile if you want a specific tone I guess. We are getting spoilt 😬
I’d also like to see a bit more of the control centre added to the Stomp, specifically the  ability to change amp channels. That was the killer feature for me when I had my HFX. Saves having two pedals on the floor. 

43 minutes ago, Osiris said:

But isn't the idea of the HXFX that it's an effects unit (there might be a clue in the name somewhere 😉) for people who are using it through a traditional rig? In that regard it makes perfect sense as well as keeping costs down for those who don't want or need the amp & cab models. 

Yes for sure. But to me it's more a marketing ploy than a cost issue - the marginal cost to Yamaha of including a few decent amp and cab sims onto the HX FX, once they have been developed for the rest of the range, would be the square root of zero. And frankly if Zoom can include on their cheap as chips multifxs that kinda demonstrates that cost isn't the driver here.

Tbf most of us are pretty content with our amps and cabs, so no biggie and I'm certainly still not tempted to go back to the Stomp given the easier to use live set up on the HX, for my purposes, with the 6 stomp switches and scribble strips / ability to scroll through a bank of patches etc, but it would be a nice to have when rounding off a particular tone on a drive or other effect patch we're creating.

However, no one can accuse Line 6 of not being very clear about what they are and are not making available on each of their products!

Edited by Al Krow

Line 6 have created a product with multiple sku’s so they can get people into their product at a range of price points with the higher end ‘do everything’ model as the aspirational unit to get. Most companies do it be it low end basses to artist signature models, 125 motorbikes to super bikes, car models etc etc. Line 6 are no different to any other company. While some features are great to have an awful lot of what’s in my stomp won’t really get used that much but what I am using works brilliantly and makes using the unit a joy.

I’ve sold a stomp previously (two in fact but one was simply a great deal I got on eBay shifted for a little profit) as it was overkill but as my band are all in ear now it made sense to jump back in. It’s nice having all the extra’s for playing guitar and experimenting with but it’s solid for my needs and the updates really do add value especially these recent ones! 

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yes for sure. But to me it's more a marketing ploy than a cost issue - the marginal cost to Yamaha of including a few decent amp and cab sims onto the HX FX, once they have been developed for the rest of the range, would be the square root of zero. And frankly if Zoom can include on their cheap as chips multifxs that kinda demonstrates that cost isn't the driver here.

Cost is the only driver. Otherwise why even release the stomp and effects?

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches