Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

On 25/03/2020 at 16:25, jimbobothy said:

Not just me then!

I’ve emailed Cioks support and see what they come up with.

Cheers.

.... got a response from them today. Basically the way the Radial Bassbone Tonebone is earthed doesn't work well with switching class PSUs, hence the noise. Cioks know about it and are working on a solution, maybe in a couple of months time. It was suggested using the original Radial PSU until they sort the issue out. Least they got back to me on the issue 👍

Just a FYI.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or even if anyone cares, but I just found out that my Stomp works as an audio interface with my iPad Pro. It’s not perfect, due to what seems to be a lack of record volume control on the iPad, but Ive managed to record a 3 track project in Garage band without issues. Will investigate more later tonight.

This came about with me wanting to use my Scarlett interface with the iPad, which also works perfectly well. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just a FYI.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or even if anyone cares, but I just found out that my Stomp works as an audio interface with my iPad Pro. It’s not perfect, due to what seems to be a lack of record volume control on the iPad, but Ive managed to record a 3 track project in Garage band without issues. Will investigate more later tonight.

This came about with me wanting to use my Scarlett interface with the iPad, which also works perfectly well. 

I have the Isolo  scarlet but still run mu stomp through this, the sound quality and volume is superior, the stomp will do a job (used it myself) but the quality is way better and recording volume using the interface. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

I have the Isolo  scarlet but still run mu stomp through this, the sound quality and volume is superior, the stomp will do a job (used it myself) but the quality is way better and recording volume using the interface. 

Yeah, I’ve found using my 2i2 with the Stomp to be a bit more user friendly, for the reasons you state. 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, I’ve found using my 2i2 with the Stomp to be a bit more user friendly, for the reasons you state. 

you get great bass tone direct into the Scarlet, specifically with an active bass straight into the instrument input. I prefer to use it for headphone practice than the stomp, for just clean practice anyway.

17 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

3 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

you get great bass tone direct into the Scarlet, specifically with an active bass straight into the instrument input. I prefer to use it for headphone practice than the stomp, for just clean practice anyway.

+1 ^^  - the Focusrite kit really is very good.

Also if your Stomp / HX Effects is not at the end of your signal chain you'll miss out on any effects that come after it.

But for anyone without a dedicated interface, it's a really useful extra in the toolkit from your Helix!

7 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

My usual mode of practice is bass and iPad in to the Stomp, and headphone out from that. I have no complaints and it keeps things simple. I was thinking of doing some recording in to garage band, so went looking for a way to get audio in to that without spending any more money (I don’t have the correct cable to use my iRig HD with my new iPad). It’s more an experiment than anything else, as I also have a Zoom R8 multi track recorder which is a bit more convenient. 

Can anyone point me in the right area on here for settings for a FRFR cab with the stomp with bass? E.g. should I amend the global settings? This cab kicks out a LOT of low end....probably too much.

The Darkglass pedal model is a lot of fun and the Stomp probably cost just a bit more than one DG product ahahaha!

12 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Can anyone point me in the right area on here for settings for a FRFR cab with the stomp with bass? E.g. should I amend the global settings? This cab kicks out a LOT of low end....probably too much.

The Darkglass pedal model is a lot of fun and the Stomp probably cost just a bit more than one DG product ahahaha!

I felt the same with the Fearless cab I had for a while. Lovely tone but for at least, a problematic low end. 
First thing I would suggest is using the global HPF, and maybe set it a bit higher than you might normally have it.

Must admit I never found the ideal setting with my cab. Flat or full range just isn’t for me. 

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I keep at least a 30Hz hpf on all the time, I've had it as high as 100Hz before on a hollow stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

If the cab is FRFR shouldnt you be able to run it with the global settings flat? 

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:45, Al Krow said:

Out of interest, what's the make and model of the cab?

Hiya

It's just the Headrush 112 FRFR powered cab, which went to such a low price on Amazon I had to try it, and so far i'm very impressed. 

I wasn't sure whether to tweak the global EQ as I know a lot of guitarists do this.

16 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Hiya

It's just the Headrush 112 FRFR powered cab, which went to such a low price on Amazon I had to try it, and so far i'm very impressed. 

I wasn't sure whether to tweak the global EQ as I know a lot of guitarists do this.

Ah that's useful to know. One of the concerns I've always had with FRFR is whether they would be able to match up to dedicated bass cabs in handling the low end, given that they're not tuned specifically for bass but operate across the full frequency range. But sounds from what you're saying that the Headrush doesn't have any such limitation, which is good to hear!

Oh and in relation to your issue, I would recommend using an HPF effect in all your patches as 'standard' to tighten up the low end and get rid of low end boominess.  If you're a 4 string player you could try cutting from 80Hz and if 5 string at 60Hz i.e. just below the first harmonic of the low E and B strings respectively.

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh and in relation to your issue, I would recommend using an HPF effect in all your patches as 'standard' to tighten up the low end and get rid of low end boominess.  If you're a 4 string player you could try cutting from 80Hz and if 5 string at 60Hz i.e. just below the first harmonic of the low E and B strings respectively.

Wouldn’t it be better to just use the global HPF  this case? 

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

One of the concerns I've always had with FRFR is whether they would be able to match up to dedicated bass cabs in handling the low end, given that they're not tuned specifically for bass but operate across the full frequency range

If the speaker is full range and flat response it will be tuned to have a flat response over the full range... and be perfect for something like helix that models cabs.

the problem you might have is a lot of the FRFR speakers out there are designed for guitarists and aren’t that full range and aren’t designed to handle to low end of a bass particularly well. The cabs recommended in the FRFR thread by the likes of @BigRedX and others will be what you want for a bass capable FRFR speaker

38 minutes ago, Jack said:

I believe @Al Krow has the HX Effects, which doesn't have a global eq. But yes, global eq would be ideal.

But this part of the thread was about using a Stomp, so my suggestion wasn’t aimed at Al,  just making a comment on his reply to the original issue and pointing out there is global HPF available so no need to program it in to each patch. It’s not Al that was asking about EQ. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jack said:

I believe @Al Krow has the HX Effects, which doesn't have a global eq. But yes, global eq would be ideal.

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

But this part of the thread was about using a Stomp, so my suggestion wasn’t aimed at Al,  just making a comment on his reply to the original issue and pointing out there is global HPF available so no need to program it in to each patch. It’s not Al that was asking about EQ. 

Agreed on both counts!

52 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

the problem you might have is a lot of the FRFR speakers out there are designed for guitarists and aren’t that full range and aren’t designed to handle to low end of a bass particularly well. The cabs recommended in the FRFR thread by the likes of @BigRedX and others will be what you want for a bass capable FRFR speaker

That's definitely been my concern. To us save ploughing through 70 pages of the FRFR thread do you recall which FRFR powered cabs BRX recommends? 

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed on both counts!

That's definitely been my concern. To us save ploughing through 70 pages of the FRFR thread do you recall which FRFR powered cabs BRX recommends? 

RCF 745 I think from memory. That range of RCF cabs.
QSC K12.2 also well liked by @Frank Blank (and obviously their higher end models)  

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed on both counts!

I have to say that making the effort to plough through the 70 (admittedly it was just over fifty when I harnessed up the plough) is well worth it, reading everyones opinions and discussion made my mind up to never use a trad amp/cab again. Mind you, saying that, perhaps we could do with a refined and honed FRFR thread like @EBS_freak has created for in-ear headphones?

All that aside, I do indeed run a HX Stomp / QSC K12.2 rig and it's a total game changer.

56 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have to say that making the effort to plough through the 70 (admittedly it was just over fifty when I harnessed up the plough) is well worth it, reading everyones opinions and discussion made my mind up to never use a trad amp/cab again. Mind you, saying that, perhaps we could do with a refined and honed FRFR thread like @EBS_freak has created for in-ear headphones?

All that aside, I do indeed run a HX Stomp / QSC K12.2 rig and it's a total game changer.

Like this - 

Happy to start one/help with content for FRFR if people game?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches