Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

31 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

How would you know what to change so it keeps the same character, but changes the low or highs? I doubt its as simple as turning one knob for each.

Dont get me wrong, i like the tone, been using it for a while in my Stomp as a starting block, but my point is its not really a substitute for the real thing.

Its like his BDDI EQ patch vs the BDDI sim that came later. The first is a sample of what it i can sound like, but the second is the real deal (more or less).

Oh absolutely not going to be a substitute for the real thing, wouldnt claim otherwise. 

56 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I believe those settings represent the pre with treble and bass fully boosted.  The 0/0 setting represents it set flat.

Screenshot_20200324-193504_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fed309c1f3a9141e0b2c51ae2a9ec998.jpg 

Using these as the two extremes you could set it where you want in the middle. You could even use a exp pedal to dynamically control the settings.

I think the important bit of the patch are the Q settings.  Im interested to try it.

Exactly. That how I tested it vs the onboard pre. I didn’t use an expression pedal but simply moved the low and high gain settings in line with manual adjustment of the tone controls. 

Obviously not an exact science as the manual tone controls aren’t visibly calibrated but it’s easy to set them at half way and then pop the preamp off and on. 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well its still going to sound like your Sadowsky no matter what you put it through 😉

The thing with this patch is, if I’m correct, its just emulating one setting, so hardly a replacement for the real thing unless you only use this one setting all the time. 

No, not at all. A Sadowsky running completely passive sounds very different to one with both treble and bass set at 10 (which is pretty much unusable). 

Roger spent a long time selecting the frequencies for each tone pot and the Q of each as well specifically to work interactively with each other and not to overlap in the mids. 

Lots of people have tried to cop this sound but I’ve never really heard anyone get it close before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molan said:

No, not at all. A Sadowsky running completely passive sounds very different to one with both treble and bass set at 10 (which is pretty much unusable). 

Roger spent a long time selecting the frequencies for each tone pot and the Q of each as well specifically to work interactively with each other and not to overlap in the mids. 

Lots of people have tried to cop this sound but I’ve never really heard anyone get it close before. 

I presume the two Sad bass preamp pedals do, however, nail, it? So if you want to experience the "Sad sound" you could get a chunk of the way there with one of those? 

But here's, the thing: I've always presumed that a bass' pups play a much more significant role in a bass' tone than its on board preamp? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I presume the two Sad bass preamp pedals do, however, nail, it? So if you want to experience the "Sad sound" you could get a chunk of the way there with one of those? 

But here's, the thing: I've always presumed that a bass' pups play a much more significant role in a bass' tone than its on board preamp? 

The pedals are essentially the onboard controls set in an external casing so, yes, they work. 

The Sad pre is a boost only circuit with a very significant effect on the sound - I think not least because of those frequency and Q settings. 

I’ve swapped a few tone circuits in and out of basses over the years and generally found that the aftermarket ones have more of an overall effect than changing pickups. Obviously depends on which pre and which pups of course - some are more subtle than others. 

Hey all,

I mentioned a few weeks back that I’d finished my first pedal board build (Radial Tonebone Bassbone, Korg Pitch Black tuner, HX Stomp all running off a Cioks DC7).

I have found using the above I’m getting all sorts of weird electrical noises that kind of make it not overly useable. To test I maxed out the physical volume knobs to magnify any noise present and I’ve found the noise inconsistent, quieter at times but still not acceptable and not what I’d expect from the equipment.

Switching to power the Radial Tonebone with it’s original PSU does help matters a fair bit, so does that suggest the Cioks DC7 unit is not working as it should isolating properly, or am I expecting too much from it??

As it’s my first build I don’t know what to expect from the equipment I’ve gone for.

Last night I switched the board around to a Radial Bigshot I/O instrument selector, Korg Pitch Black tuner and a Radial JDi (still using the Cioks DC7) and the HX Stomp. This was to minimise the amount of active circuitry and as a result all appears to be with this set up.

Any suggestions folks, has anyone else has a similar experience please?

Peace.

Edited by jimbobothy
Spelling

My first thought would be to try the Stomp using its own PSU. If you get the Stomp working fine then you could add back in the others one at a time, using the Cioks for the others to see when the noise starts. 

Could also just be your wiring at home etc.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

@jimbobothyI know the helix hx has an odd power rating that needed me to buy a separate power cable/y cable to connect to my dc7 does the stomp have the same? 

Could also be the house electrics. I’d test each pedal individually then start adding them together in a chain one by one. 

Edited by bassfan

My Helix isn't a fan of my laptops power supply.

Helix into my interface into the computer and there a background combination of whining/hum and rhythmic static. Playing around, I found that if I unplugged the laptop everything went quiet again. I've been using the same setup for years with an 8 pedal board running off a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic with not a whisper.

There's a lot of cabling in my music room and it took me a while to figure it out, but it seems to be just that one item... Obviously I'm a bit buggered if there's just one item that it doesn't like in a venue's setup.😌

51 minutes ago, NickD said:

My Helix isn't a fan of my laptops power supply

Helix into my interface into the computer and there a background combination of whining/hum and rhythmic static. Playing around, I found that if I unplugged the laptop everything went quiet again. I've been using the same setup for years with an 8 pedal board running off a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic with not a whisper.

There's a lot of cabling in my music room and it took me a while to figure it out, but it seems to be just that one item... Obviously I'm a bit buggered if there's just one item that it doesn't like in a venue's setup.😌

Similar experience - I find when the helix is connected via USB to my laptop all sorts of clicks and whirls transfer through to the amp

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Similar experience - I find when the helix is connected via USB to my laptop all sorts of clicks and whirls transfer through to the amp

Mine too but quiet as a mouse running into the amp off a Truetone 1-Spot

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

I doubt it’s the cioks but you never know. Have you tried the psu that comes with the stomp yet? 

Tried all sorts of variants, it does seem better (but not perfect) using both the original PSU supplies, or just the Tonebone original PSU. It seems the issue is when both the HX Stomp and Tonebone are powered together using the DC7.

The whole point of getting the Cioks was to use with the Tonebone due to the switchable outputs. I’ll wait for a reply from them.

Must have spent at least 4 hrs last night/ early morning doing as many variants as I could lol!!

3 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

Tried all sorts of variants, it does seem better (but not perfect) using both the original PSU supplies, or just the Tonebone original PSU. It seems the issue is when both the HX Stomp and Tonebone are powered together using the DC7.

The whole point of getting the Cioks was to use with the Tonebone due to the switchable outputs. I’ll wait for a reply from them.

Must have spent at least 4 hrs last night/ early morning doing as many variants as I could lol!!

Not teaching you to suck eggs.  Have you seen this?

you are using the right cable for the Stomp? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Not teaching you to suck eggs.  Have you seen this?

you are using the right cable for the Stomp? 

Yeah this, I bought a cable to do this and ran other pedals. Never had a bother. 

Yup, I actually bought 3 with the thought to get 2.6A if needed, however Cioks support said only 1 parallel cable was needed.

The only thing that could be an issue (that I can’t see really how) is the red connector used for the Tonebone. It’s a fairly short L connector that does turn the unit on, but you can get a variant that has a slightly longer connector end. However as it powers the unit fine I’m not sure how that would help.

Thanks for the suggestion though folks 👍🏼,  much appreciated.

Apologies if this request has been made previously but there’s 31 pages to scroll through. Has anyone got a half decent Michael Jackson synthy bass sound? specifically for PYT but could probably be used on most of the synth tracks. 

13 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Apologies if this request has been made previously but there’s 31 pages to scroll through. Has anyone got a half decent Michael Jackson synthy bass sound? specifically for PYT but could probably be used on most of the synth tracks. 

Have you tried the synth patches on the Dr Tonelab website?

33 minutes ago, bassfan said:

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Have you tried the synth patches on the Dr Tonelab website?

Unfortunately Helix doesn't have synth engine under its bonnet (unlike the Mooer GE300 multi-fx) and I didn't find the Dr Tonelab synth patches that good.

Old fashioned approach to getting a synth effect = octave + dirt + filter in a chain. Worth trying that as a starting point and having a go at creating a patch (I suspect other folk have maybe already gone down this route and can share).

The synth fanboys on this forum tend, from what I've seen, to go for a quality dedicated synth pedal e.g. Panda FI, Source Audio C4 or if you don't want to PC edit then the Boss SY-1

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Not yet. Just seeing if anyone had one dialled in on the Helix without linking it to a laptop 

Try the doctor tonelab stuff - it’s worth it.

worth finding the video of how he’s got the patch sounding, some things, compression and envelope filters for example are so dependent on the bass and player so need a fair bit of tweaking to get dialled in

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches