Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Have you got a gate on the input? 
also go here for a starting point on the amp models. 

http://drtonelab.com/lab/balanced-eq/

even if it’s too clean and flat sounding you are at least tweaking from that place! 

Many thanks!

I don't know if I have a gate on the input, but I'll look... Should I or shouldn't I?

I'll take a look at the link. I want that too clean, too flat base, at the moment everything sounds too effected, if that makes any sense?

Sadly I can't get into it tonight as I need to prepare guitar parts for the studio tomorrow, and I'm away over the weekend, but I really want to get stuck into it and see if I can achieve the sounds I need. With so much flexibility there must be a way to at least get close to most of my pedals.

9 minutes ago, NickD said:

Many thanks!

I don't know if I have a gate on the input, but I'll look... Should I or shouldn't I?

I'll take a look at the link. I want that too clean, too flat base, at the moment everything sounds too effected, if that makes any sense?

Sadly I can't get into it tonight as I need to prepare guitar parts for the studio tomorrow, and I'm away over the weekend, but I really want to get stuck into it and see if I can achieve the sounds I need. With so much flexibility there must be a way to at least get close to most of my pedals.

Have a look at the studio SVT patch too (on that site) 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Have a look at the studio SVT patch too (on that site) 

Thanks, I will. I do intend to give it a good try, as it will also be useful for guitars when I'm writing, but I don't want to have to run additional pedals.

My needs aren't that complex, but i had hoped it could be an all in one solution. Sims for recording at home, and just effects into an amp for live.

We didn't get off to the best start, playing through the interface into my DAW when it decided it didn't like my laptop's power supply, with constant rhythmic static until I unplugged the laptop.... I now have trust issues of experiencing problems with venue power rings and interference from lighting rigs.😕

Just a thaught. Make sure your sound cards input is in stereo. When I started using my stomp I thaught it was rubbish because it was summing the stereo FX to mono. 

The stereo FX in the helix sound amazing!

• Like 1

For anyone interested, over on the Helix for Bassists group on FB, Dr Bonkers Tone Labs has linked an 'All in this together' pack of IRs for free.

At this stage I have no idea what that means or how to get them, but it sounds like a good thing.🤣

Got my Stomp on Friday and an RCF NX 12 SMA and having great fun with it. Seems really intuitive to use :)

Didn't find much in the stock patches i liked but downloaded a clutch and have been playing with them off and on all weekend!

Is there a single link that shows all the potential downloadable presets for the Stomp?

I don't want to simply 'collect' a million of them (been through that silly game with Adobe presets!), just want to see how some people have approached getting a great live tone with an FRFR setup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molan said:

Got my Stomp on Friday and an RCF NX 12 SMA and having great fun with it. Seems really intuitive to use :)

Didn't find much in the stock patches i liked but downloaded a clutch and have been playing with them off and on all weekend!

Is there a single link that shows all the potential downloadable presets for the Stomp?

I don't want to simply 'collect' a million of them (been through that silly game with Adobe presets!), just want to see how some people have approached getting a great live tone with an FRFR setup.

Congrats! You could do worse than start here and see if any of these take your fancy:

http://drtonelab.com/

2 hours ago, molan said:

Congrats!! 👍🏻👍🏻I’ve just added the sadowsky pre onto my hx. Sounds bloody marvellous! 😃

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GisserD said:

I'm a bit lost. What am I supposed to do with this? 

Screenshot_20200323-194211_Chrome.jpg

Its just settings for the Parametic EQ. Just put it where you want or use it on its own. Ive used it at the start of a chain/preset, as thats where it would be if it were in a bass. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Congrats!! 👍🏻👍🏻I’ve just added the sadowsky pre onto my hx. Sounds bloody marvellous! 😃

I was having some fun with this today. 

Using my ‘real’ Sadowsky I set it to passive and used the HX setting and played with different boost levels whilst flipping between passive and active on the bass itself. 

Sounded incredibly accurate to me :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molan said:

Using my ‘real’ Sadowsky I set it to passive and used the HX setting and played with different boost levels whilst flipping between passive and active on the bass itself. 

Well it would do if you are using a Sadowsky 🤔

1 minute ago, molan said:

Cool. So essentially you’ve A/B’d your real sadowsky against the sadowsky pre amp setting and it sounds pretty close?? Just checking! I don’t have a sadowsky to compare against 😢😢

2 hours ago, molan said:

I’ll try this too, and report back!

• Like 1

My main live patch for Helix floor that I use with my function band doing indie pop rock covers. Varying drive levels and a couple of eq / gain options for pick use and using my spector that has a slightly lower output than my other basses. 

I set my board with snapshots along the bottom and fx on the top row. Two parallel chains with one sent to 1/4 out which goes to an amp when i use one and the other chain to xlr to foh.

Live.hlx

Edited by mrtcat

Just now, molan said:

Only if the preamp setting genuinely matched the onboard Sadowsky pre.

Well its still going to sound like your Sadowsky no matter what you put it through 😉

The thing with this patch is, if I’m correct, its just emulating one setting, so hardly a replacement for the real thing unless you only use this one setting all the time. 

50 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well its still going to sound like your Sadowsky no matter what you put it through 😉

The thing with this patch is, if I’m correct, its just emulating one setting, so hardly a replacement for the real thing unless you only use this one setting all the time. 

I believe those settings represent the pre with treble and bass fully boosted.  The 0/0 setting represents it set flat.

Screenshot_20200324-193504_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fed309c1f3a9141e0b2c51ae2a9ec998.jpg 

Using these as the two extremes you could set it where you want in the middle. You could even use a exp pedal to dynamically control the settings.

I think the important bit of the patch are the Q settings.  Im interested to try it.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I’ve mentioned this to a fellow BC’er a while back that, in theory, one could go to any manufacturers website and check the eq points on a specific pre/amp and then dial that in on a parametric eq to be in the ball park. Obviously on certain amps and preamps it’s the magic of the circuitry which influences the sound as much as the settings (and the rest) but the HX range affords folk who wanna give it a go a chance to and to further tweak to suit their rig. 
A case in point the best bass tone I ever got was into a Read Purity pre amp with eq  bypassed. Absolutely sublime and I know I could never replicate that on a HX Stomp!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I believe those settings represent the pre with treble and bass fully boosted.  The 0/0 setting represents it set flat.

Using these as the two extremes you could set it where you want in the middle. You could even use a exp pedal to dynamically control the settings.

I think the important bit of the patch are the Q settings.  Im interested to try it.

How would you know what to change so it keeps the same character, but changes the low or highs? I doubt its as simple as turning one knob for each.

Dont get me wrong, i like the tone, been using it for a while in my Stomp as a starting block, but my point is its not really a substitute for the real thing.

Its like his BDDI EQ patch vs the BDDI sim that came later. The first is a sample of what it i can sound like, but the second is the real deal (more or less). 

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches