Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

27 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

wish they where adding a couple more bass specific drives, like the exotic bb, bass soul food, and maybe a couple more bass amps an Ashdown would be nice and a Trace Elliott 

You may find adding a Klon in parallel could do a Bas Soul Food type thing. Start messing with cross overs (and multi band comp) and you’re into a new set of bass friendly tones. 
As we’re always gonna be the poor cousin to the guitarist who these units are primarily aimed at we have to use our cunning and guile to coax out the sounds we want. 

Edited by krispn

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

My Becos comp is the first comp ive actually understood how to use properly. I like that i can see what's happening and tweak as needed. Although im sure the comps in the Helix are just as good, i dont find them as easy to use. I like the simple things in life.

The three band compression is good but it does warrant a tweak, listen with/listen without it engaged, repeat type approach which is fine when we have the tone to sit with it. It can be a bit nuanced but it’s good to be able to geek out. Of course just patching in a comp you like and can quickly set to your preferences is a bonus too with the fx loop. I’ll be getting the Cali76 patched in and A/B’ing over the coming days. I might just stick with what’s on board the HXS for the sheer handiness.

• Like 1

At home I don’t bother with the Becos, I use the 3 band comp with some settings I got from thegearpage website, which seem to work better than the stock settings for me. Live I don’t use the Helix anyway, at least not at the moment. 
if anyone is intreated this is what I’m using as a starting block

3C57E3E7-5FD0-417D-BDBA-A0FE14611334.thumb.jpeg.919296e1a23bdcd63f7ab4b43d2f2a70.jpeg

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

At home I don’t bother with the Becos, I use the 3 band comp with some settings I got from thegearpage website, which seem to work better than the stock settings for me. Live I don’t use the Helix anyway, at least not at the moment. 
if anyone is intreated this is what I’m using as a starting block

3C57E3E7-5FD0-417D-BDBA-A0FE14611334.thumb.jpeg.919296e1a23bdcd63f7ab4b43d2f2a70.jpeg

Sweet I’ll have a look and see how it compares. Compression is one of those things which can be very player specific in terms of bass set up, playing style etc. As an example I was listening to a SR5 demo and the guys playing was so aggressive it didn’t really give the ‘average’ player a true idea of what the bass could do in a regular band type setting. Having played one it was capable of a heap of useable tones!  

16 minutes ago, krispn said:

Sweet I’ll have a look and see how it compares. Compression is one of those things which can be very player specific in terms of bass set up, playing style etc. As an example I was listening to a SR5 demo and the guys playing was so aggressive it didn’t really give the ‘average’ player a true idea of what the bass could do in a regular band type setting. Having played one it was capable of a heap of useable tones!  

Ive had comps quite a few times over the years. Always GAS driven by reading about them on here. I wouldn't say i didn't like them, more that i didn't really need them and after a short while id just stop using them. I dont know what it is about the Becos, but i feel im in control of what it does, and therefore i can get out of it whatever i want. There is some very good general comp advice on the Becos website as well, that even for me was easy to understand.

Got an email from Line 6 - they have an offer on for 30% off their amp and pedal sims apps - including the Helix Native. Could be a good time to buy it - although I can't see whether this offer includes the deal where you already get a reduction if you register one of the fx units.

8 hours ago, krispn said:

You may find adding a Klon in parallel could do a Bas Soul Food type thing. Start messing with cross overs (and multi band comp) and you’re into a new set of bass friendly tones. 
As we’re always gonna be the poor cousin to the guitarist who these units are primarily aimed at we have to use our cunning and guile to coax out the sounds we want. 

Yeah i already do that with the klon and it sounds nice, get a good sound from the tubescreamer and boss sb1 using crossover paths as well, really would live a Bass BB though, thats great on the Zoom B1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Damn, I was hoping it was just how it worked! 🤣

Well i am one of those that likes to read the manual and do a lot of research before getting something (or while its on its way), so i try and get as familiar as i can with something as soon as i can. I have, and still do, struggle with my Zoom’s, but the Helix seem to be very well laid out. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well i am one of those that lies to read the manual and do a lot of research before getting something (or while its on its way), so i try and get as familiar as i can with something as soon as i can. I have, and still do, struggle with my Zoom’s, but the Helix seem to be very well laid out. 

I'm a manual type too... I don't think it had prepared me for the complexity. Oddly the B3 for example was blinding obvious to me.

8 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Wow that's a strong reaction. Care to elaborate?

To be fair, tonight's session was better... Last night I was really frustrated. I did find that dialing almost everything back was the way to go with almost any effect, particularly the reverbs. I think the big struggle at the minute is the slightly dirty core tone. The Sansamp model is annoying me compared to the tone I usually have. I can't get it anywhere near as transparent as I would like and on sustained higher notes the effect kind of rolls off before the note ends. 

17 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well i am one of those that lies to read the manual and do a lot of research before getting something (or while its on its way), so i try and get as familiar as i can with something as soon as i can. 

And then you get bored and sell it 😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NickD said:

To be fair, tonight's session was better... Last night I was really frustrated. I did find that dialing almost everything back was the way to go with almost any effect, particularly the reverbs. I think the big struggle at the minute is the slightly dirty core tone. The Sansamp model is annoying me compared to the tone I usually have. I can't get it anywhere near as transparent as I would like and on sustained higher notes the effect kind of rolls off before the note ends. 

Have you got a gate on the input? 
also go here for a starting point on the amp models. 

http://drtonelab.com/lab/balanced-eq/

even if it’s too clean and flat sounding you are at least tweaking from that place! 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, krispn said:

My stomp arrived and I’m looking forward to getting some Dr.Tone patches back into it for tweaking. Great resource!

Ive recently been using his 8x10 EQ patch over the IR's i have. I feel this works really well for my headphone practice.

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches