Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

I’m loving my stomp, I’ve downloaded some IR’s and presets from 3 sigma audio which are an improvement on my own creations, (even with the help of John Willis), and it interesting to see how they have set up their presets, the greatest challenge I’m finding is honing in the the right eq. I find the 3 sigma presets have far too much treble, whilst my own had too much bass, and whilst I think I’ve got it balanced through headphones or on my amp at home, in the practice room I’m either mushy and can’t be heard, or again have too much treble. 

The problem is not the pedal, it’s awesome, I think getting the eq right takes more trial and error than a pedal with less power and dynamic options to try.

Here's the link again (and I'll post it in the OP for ease of reference) to Jon Willis' Helix patches.

http://drtonelab.com/

Rumour has it that some Helix users are now preferring the speaker cab EQ settings, particularly the 8x10, on the Dr Tonelab page over cab sims and IR’s. If that's the case then that should address a key gap in the HX Effects armoury.

On my HX FX I'm trying to figure out how I can use the sameexpression pedal as both a volume and expression pedal but be able to switch between the two by using 2 blocks and 2 separate switches. I'm struggling to figure this out. Any ideas? Looking to off load my volume pedal if possible.

22 minutes ago, burno70 said:

On my HX FX I'm trying to figure out how I can use the sameexpression pedal as both a volume and expression pedal but be able to switch between the two by using 2 blocks and 2 separate switches. I'm struggling to figure this out. Any ideas? Looking to off load my volume pedal if possible.

With 2 separate switches?

The "normal" way of doing stuff like this is to have a wah (for example) block and a volume block both set to use the same EXP input, and have the block bypass for both set to the same footswitch. Make sure one of the blocks is set to on and the other is set to bypass. 

Now a tap of the footswitch will turn the wah on and the volume off (or vice versa) and the pedal will only have any effect on the block which is active.

You could have separate footswitches assigned to the bypass function of both the wah and volume block, but then if both wah and volume blocks are active then the expression pedal will control both at the same time

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, stoo said:

The "normal" way of doing stuff like this is to have a wah (for example) block and a volume block both set to use the same EXP input, and have the block bypass for both set to the same footswitch. Make sure one of the blocks is set to on and the other is set to bypass. 

Now a tap of the footswitch will turn the wah on and the volume off (or vice versa) and the pedal will only have any effect on the block which is active.

You could have separate footswitches assigned to the bypass function of both the wah and volume block, but then if both wah and volume blocks are active then the expression pedal will control both at the same time

Thanks - I'll look into the block bypass. Not done that before so I'll have to experiment/read up.

On 21/02/2020 at 08:14, Al Krow said:

Rumour has it that some Helix users are now preferring the speaker cab EQ settings, particularly the 8x10, on the Dr Tonelab page over cab sims and IR’s. If that's the case then that should address a key gap in the HX Effects armoury.

Interesting. I am not particularly after speaker models, as I have speakers, but worth taking a look to see if it brings anything to the party.

Although I do have a helix LT as well now so I suppose I could use that. The HX is still the one on my board though

Wondering - does anyone know if there is any way I could keep another stomp pedal permanently switched on and use a footswitch on the Helix  to engage it? I currently use a super ego to create a drone and baby sit it with my LS-2 to bring it in and out. Would be nice if the FX could knock another pedal off my board.

11 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Wondering - does anyone know if there is any way I could keep another stomp pedal permanently switched on and use a footswitch on the Helix  to engage it? I currently use a super ego to create a drone and baby sit it with my LS-2 to bring it in and out. Would be nice if the FX could knock another pedal off my board.

Put it in The effects loop?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it did take a while to get my head around the HX - I'm used the M series which I used simply as multi effect boxes and that's it. The HX has removed about 4 pedals from my board, which I didn't expect it to - volume pedal, dirt, compressor and now the LS-2. It's becoming the central core of my board. I've been a pedal head for almost 20 years and this is definitely the best I've used in terms of quality, but especially for sheer functionality. I could go even smaller with a stomp too if I wished. Really is amazing!

20 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Yeah, it did take a while to get my head around the HX - I'm used the M series which I used simply as multi effect boxes and that's it. The HX has removed about 4 pedals from my board, which I didn't expect it to - volume pedal, dirt, compressor and now the LS-2. It's becoming the central core of my board. I've been a pedal head for almost 20 years and this is definitely the best I've used in terms of quality, but especially for sheer functionality. I could go even smaller with a stomp too if I wished. Really is amazing!

its funny but i got the FX as a simpler version of the Stomp, i dont need the amps etc, but found it will do so much more in a live situation.

4 hours ago, burno70 said:

Can you engage the effects loop with a footswitch on the helix? Sorry, I'm at work (allegedly) and can't access the manual right now.

as Dave said yes... and you can also program it to change other things at the same time. One switch to turn on the super ego, turn off a reverb and boost the highs in an amp model... or whatever you want to do... it's crazy powerful 

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

as Dave said yes... and you can also program it to change other things at the same time. One switch to turn on the super ego, turn off a reverb and boost the highs in an amp model... or whatever you want to do... it's crazy powerful 

And so easy to move that to anywhere in the signal chain, or change which switch you use to implement it all. 

On 23/02/2020 at 20:02, stoo said:

Disappointingly I'm still struggling with this but I've discovered another issue - I can't get my expression pedal (Line 6 Ex-1) to work as a volume pedal. I've searched the manual/Line 6 forum/you tube, but can't seem to find this specific issue. Anyone have any ideas. I obviously need to resolve this before attempting to set the same pedal up for both a volume and expression pedal. If anyone can post a step by step on setting up an expression pedal as a volume pedal - on the HX effects I'd appreciate it.

Edited by burno70

46 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Disappointingly I'm still struggling with this but I've discovered another issue - I can't get my expression pedal (Line 6 Ex-1) to work as a volume pedal. I've searched the manual/Line 6 forum/you tube, but can't seem to find this specific issue. Anyone have any ideas. I obviously need to resolve this before attempting to set the same pedal up for both a volume and expression pedal. If anyone can post a step by step on setting up an expression pedal as a volume pedal - on the HX effects I'd appreciate it.

Are you using the HX edit software to create your blocks or are you setting them up manually on the unit?  Setting up a volume pedal in HX edit was pretty straight forward.  I'm using a Moog expression pedal.

Step 1. Add the volume block from Volume / Pan menu

Step 2. Click Bypass / Controller Assign

Step 3. Where it says volume, make sure this says Position.  For some reason my software says EXP2 even though I only have a EXP pedal in Interface 1.  This goes away after finishing the next step.

Step 4. Change Controller to EXP Pedal 1 

Step 5. Check Min Position is 0 and Max is 100

Step 6. Click back on Edit, use the pedal and you should see the position value change as you operate the EXP pedal.

Step 7. Save

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Are you using the HX edit software to create your blocks or are you setting them up manually on the unit?  Setting up a volume pedal in HX edit was pretty straight forward.  I'm using a Moog expression pedal.

Step 1. Add the volume block from Volume / Pan menu

Step 2. Click Bypass / Controller Assign

Step 3. Where it says volume, make sure this says Position.  For some reason my software says EXP2 even though I only have a EXP pedal in Interface 1.  This goes away after finishing the next step.

Step 4. Change Controller to EXP Pedal 1 

Step 5. Check Min Position is 0 and Max is 100

Step 6. Click back on Edit, use the pedal and you should see the position value change as you operate the EXP pedal.

Step 7. Save

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write this. I'm not there yet but have made some progress. Rather than increasing in volume as the pedal is pressed towards the toe position, it seems to act as a bypass and then go full volume. The position markers are not moving? Nothing wrong with the pedal or cables, if I change to another present the expression works fine. Should curve be linear or log? Tried both ways but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

6 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write this. I'm not there yet but have made some progress. Rather than increasing in volume as the pedal is pressed towards the toe position, it seems to act as a bypass and then go full volume. The position markers are not moving? Nothing wrong with the pedal or cables, if I change to another present the expression works fine. Should curve be linear or log? Tried both ways but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

This is how my settings are configured in HX Edit.

vol_1.PNG.1163cda0f03c8ee39800061c4568ff44.PNG

vol_2.PNG.6e09c099c68b8cef5cb6f7746f243a5c.PNG

vol_3.thumb.PNG.54d8f8e3324a072231d3ea65867e6a29.PNG

Screen shot 3 just demonstrates the pedal being in a midway position.

I don't think the Curve matters, I believe that effects "how" the volume changes.  Linear will give you an even increase through the sweep of the pedal where I think log ramps in curve meaning at the low end of the sweep you get less effect and that increases towards the end.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches