Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Have also heard that the Stomp is going up to 8 blocks, with effects loop no longer taking a block, but that won't be until 3.0

Haven't seen anything official confirming that yet, but it's been mentioned in a few places.... hopefully the vid of the presentation will be up at some point and we'll know for sure...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Creeper said:

I’m probably being a bit stupid, however!

im trying to figure out how to connect my stomp to the PA and to my amp at the same time, I understand that I need to change the output from instrument to line level and run a TRS to XLR for the pa, however I need to run instrument level out to the amp and it appears as though you can’t alter the output of both left and right separately, the are either both line or instrument level.....

im probably being a bit thick but any explanations are much appreciated.

Use the effects send to go to your amp. Main send with a TRS-XLR to the desk

what it will let you do too is add any blocks that you don’t want going to your rig after the send. eg if you are playing through a cab you probably don’t want to put a cab sim in your rig, but you might to the FOH

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stoo said:

Have also heard that the Stomp is going up to 8 blocks, with effects loop no longer taking a block, but that won't be until 3.0

Haven't seen anything official confirming that yet, but it's been mentioned in a few places.... hopefully the vid of the presentation will be up at some point and we'll know for sure...

Apparently the effects loop not taking up a block part was wrong.... 8 blocks is still on though (spare DSP permitting, obvs)

18 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Use the effects send to go to your amp. Main send with a TRS-XLR to the desk

what it will let you do too is add any blocks that you don’t want going to your rig after the send. eg if you are playing through a cab you probably don’t want to put a cab sim in your rig, but you might to the FOH

So if you go instrument out through the send output does this essentially bypass the Stomp completely, or I guess you can route two signal paths, one via send output and one in standard left or right out.

Also following this as I want a to send my signal to GarageBand but want to still play using amp rather than headphones. 

55 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

So if you go instrument out through the send output does this essentially bypass the Stomp completely, or I guess you can route two signal paths, one via send output and one in standard left or right out.

Also following this as I want a to send my signal to GarageBand but want to still play using amp rather than headphones. 

You can do it either way - you can go :

<effects + amp blocks>  --->  <FX Send block>  --->  <Cab block>  --->  <Main L/R>

which will send your pre-cab sim sound out of the FX loop send, and your cab sim tone out of the Main Output

Or if you are low on spare blocks you can drag the cab block down to the second path, and then drag the merge block down below the Main L/R output, and a Send L/R output will appear.

This will flip things compared to the previous example though - now your cab sim tone will be going out of the FX Send, and the pre-cab sim tone will be going out the Main L/R

Both achieve the same thing, but which you'll need will depend on if you are already using split path elsewhere, or if you don't have enough spare blocks to waste one on a Send block

helix-send-block.png

helix-split path.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stoo said:

Excellent news! Will be able to make use of the two effects loops without losing anything in my ‘normal’ preset. On the other hand, means there’ll be a lot of reprogramming my MC6 😂

Edited by Higgie

Zoom have just released a touch screen interface (see G11 thread). The new DG / Neural DSP Quad Cortex similarly boasts one. 

Be interesting to see how long Helix can resist providing something similar on their line up. 

Edited by Al Krow

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What are you supposed to do with a touch screen, take your shoes off? 😀

Editing. See the Neural Quad Cortex thread to see what a significantly better UI it provides. 

Edited by Al Krow

22 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I think it’s more of a rack compressor 

I read a mention about a rack comp on TB (IIR), but that's all it was, but I know he has also used/endorsed a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone Comp, and MXR comp. My money is on the Pigtronix. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Editing. See the Neural Quad Cortex thread to see what a significantly better UI it provides. 

Would have to try it to see, it certainly looks good, but I would tend to do my editing on the computer mostly as I want the unit to be on the floor, and I am too old to be bending down all the time!

I am sure it is good, but I think it is a different market at the moment. Or maybe the same market, but a different end of it. 

4 minutes ago, cattytown said:

I can see the benefit for editing - might be useful to have a way to turn the touch screen off to reduce accidental edits.

If it's a capacitative touchscreen then your feet shouldn't be picked up as a press unless you're barefoot.

If it's a resistive touchscreen then it'll likely feel decidedly less than premium to use, and I presume they'll be aiming at a price point where that could be a bad call...

I take your point Woody about doing computer editing on a computer screen: that's the approach taken by a significant proportion of Helix users - me included. But that's partly because it's relatively painful for luddites like me to edit 'on pedal' although I know there's a whole bunch of fellow BC'ers who do so happily. I suspect touch screen editing would, nevertheless, still benefit them as well as encouraging a few of us computer editors to make more of editing 'on pedal'

The only model that doesn't lend itself easily to a touchscreen upgrade is the 'entry level' model HX Effects which just has scribble strips; so I guess I can stop concerning myself with the possibility for my own model for a while yet. But if I was to make a prediction for the rest of the range for late 2020 early 2021, I'd a give touch screen UI a pretty high likelihood, especially now that Zoom are bringing this in. 

Just my tuppence worth of crystal ball gazing!  

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Helix Fans,  Has any one got a Gig Bag recommendation for the Helix FX?   It's my sole pedal so I don't have it mounted on a pedal board but am getting a bit tired of lugging it around in it's original box.   Something quite snug fitting would be ideal else I'll just find a cheap Laptop bag or something.

23 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Afternoon Helix Fans,  Has any one got a Gig Bag recommendation for the Helix FX?   It's my sole pedal so I don't have it mounted on a pedal board but am getting a bit tired of lugging it around in it's original box.   Something quite snug fitting would be ideal else I'll just find a cheap Laptop bag or something.

Check out Gator mixer cases. They do all sorts of sizes and shapes so I’m sure there’s something that’ll work nicely with HXFX. 

Edited by CameronJ
  • Thanks 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches