Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Had a weird one last night. Was playing through my Stomp, and noticed i wasnt getting any effected sound, it was just a bypassed tone. All the lights were coming on and off as expected, I could go in to bypass and out, but with no tone change. Changed patches, same result with all of them. I re booted the Stomp and all was back to normal.

Anyone ever had this before? I'm not worried about it yet, Its probably just a glitch, but if it happens again i might be. 

19 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I mean the Darkglass and BDDI sims. Both are technically bass preamps. Not sure if the Ampeg Screamer counts.

All the amp sims are available as a pre amp only, this is pretty useful for getting a nice cleaner bass sound and eq/preamp. The Pearce on clean channel and GK are good for using as just a preamp, this is what I use then run effects into it, bit of light grit from the heir apparent works great. 

1 minute ago, Rollin Thunder said:

All the amp sims are available as a pre amp only, this is pretty useful for getting a nice cleaner bass sound and eq/preamp. The Pearce on clean channel and GK are good for using as just a preamp, this is what I use then run effects into it, bit of light grit from the heir apparent works great. 

Not in the Helix Effects they aren’t, which is what I was talking about. I have done what you do with my Stomp though. 

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Not in the Helix Effects they aren’t, which is what I was talking about. I have done what you do with my Stomp though. 

Sorry miss read, using the darkglass as a preamp without the distortion or using it really low level distortion like gain at 1-2 max gives plenty variety as a pre amp. 

I was originally just going to get the helix effects as I was not initially bothered about amp sims as I like my current amp, but effects was out of stock so took a punt on the stomp which I prefer now and really enjoy the amp sims.

Edited by Rollin Thunder
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

Sorry miss read, using the darkglass as a preamp without the distortion or using it really low level distortion like gain at 1-2 max gives plenty variety as a pre amp. 

I was originally just going to get the helix effects as I was not initially bothered about amp sims as I like my current amp, but effects was out of stock so took a punt on the stomp which I prefer now and really enjoy the amp sims.

No problem. I have both and always use my Stomp at home with headphones, as it’s the most versatile for this sort of thing (although the FX works fine with headphones as well), but live I prefer the FX as I like how well it’s laid out, and also use it to control the channel switching on my Amp.  
I’ve been using a BDDI for years in front of my amps, which I tend to run pretty flat anyway, so for me I still have the same preamp that i used to, plus all the other effects if I need them. 

I tried briefly to use amp and cab modelling with my rig, but it seemed pointless as I was going through a rig anyway. 

I just got the native plugin. Mostly for use with my guitars when reccording. But it will undoubtedly get used for bass occasionally too.

One thing that is blowing my mind is how good the stereo effects sound! Especially the verbs!

• Like 1

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a stomp, before I do just so I’m clear, when doubling up am I able to have my Jazz bass and double bass connected at the same time via the left and right inputs, with different levels and effects on both of them?

Also has anyone had any problems connecting to the pa via the TRS to XLR connectors?

2 hours ago, Creeper said:

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a stomp, before I do just so I’m clear, when doubling up am I able to have my Jazz bass and double bass connected at the same time via the left and right inputs, with different levels and effects on both of them?

Also has anyone had any problems connecting to the pa via the TRS to XLR connectors?

No - make sure phantom is off on that channel though

3 hours ago, Creeper said:

Full strength floor,  but this is what  have *just* been playing with. I expect the logic will still be the same.

Upright setup is schertler stat-b on the bridge, and an AKG C411 as clicky (I may be reviewing that) that needs phantom.

Bass and guitar patches are set to guitar in.
Upright uses Aux for bridge and mic for clicky - phantom on.

Upright patches have no amp/cab sims - gain and EQ. I used the looper to record at the front to play with EQ. Volume pedal patch on the clicky - normal set at 50%. I can use the expression pedal to mute or lift the clicky.

Select upright patch - guitar in is muted. Select a bass guitar or guitar patch and upright is muted.

I really can't see using all three on a single gig, but it gives all the features I wanted including HPF. I think my Felix may be hitting the for sale shortly...

Paul.

Without doubt the most useful feature for me on my HX effects is the pitch shift, I’ve made separate pedal boards in standard E, Eb, D and C to cover the songs we do. It has saved me getting a 5 string and/or bringing multiple basses.

It does a pretty good job and nobody in the band has complained about the sound, however on longer more sustained notes there is a slight warble sometimes - not really noticeable, but it does bug me a bit and there is a particular slower song where it is more obvious. There is only a low D a couple of times so I had the idea to set the pitch shift to momentary action rather than the default latch mode so I just press the footswitch when I need low D and most of the time I’m playing with it off. Just tried it and it worked well, so thought I’d share the tip!

Edited by 41Hz
  • Like 2

Yeah, the pitch sift has got me covered for two songs. One was a Christmas song i refused to re learn at such a late stage (keys should have been worked out weeks before), and when trying out a new song last Thursday we tried a song in 3 different keys. Quite a few notes and runs so i decided to use the PS. Worked really well. 

26 minutes ago, cattytown said:

If it helps anyone, I pulled the lists of models on the HX and popped them all in a spreadsheet so you can look through and filter on type.

http://www.cattytown.me.uk/HelixModels.xlsx

P.

Nice one. Very useful. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Shame Line6 wont update the official documentation.  

• Like 1

Well, my life was an absolute rollercoaster just after the Stomp came out, so I put it on hold. Even now, in Jan 2020, things are pretty intense, but I picked up a HX Stomp in the Black Friday sales and I am SUPER impressed.

I did own a full fat Helix Floor, but I found it too large, and I just didn't need that much power and control.

Even on guitar, I am finding I have enough processing power, in a tiny box, for what I need.

The quality of the unit is excellent, the sound is great, and the flexibility is so fun.

I have yet to try it with bass, but I can't wait! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Well, my life was an absolute rollercoaster just after the Stomp came out, so I put it on hold. Even now, in Jan 2020, things are pretty intense, but I picked up a HX Stomp in the Black Friday sales and I am SUPER impressed.

I did own a full fat Helix Floor, but I found it too large, and I just didn't need that much power and control.

Even on guitar, I am finding I have enough processing power, in a tiny box, for what I need.

The quality of the unit is excellent, the sound is great, and the flexibility is so fun.

I have yet to try it with bass, but I can't wait! 

Wow, didnt realise you had the big one. Agree though, its a bit over kill for most of us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Got me knobs sorted out. Nice feel to them. The red is a bit more magenta/pink than i expected, but its still cool. 

F935622C-7606-4C4B-BB0D-C87A338CB172.thumb.jpeg.d6d126c6a479cc17f4fc94209fb19148.jpeg

The first and only time I will compliment you on having shiny pink knobs.  🤩

• Haha 3

I’m probably being a bit stupid, however!

im trying to figure out how to connect my stomp to the PA and to my amp at the same time, I understand that I need to change the output from instrument to line level and run a TRS to XLR for the pa, however I need to run instrument level out to the amp and it appears as though you can’t alter the output of both left and right separately, the are either both line or instrument level.....

im probably being a bit thick but any explanations are much appreciated.

Edited by Creeper

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches